Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1985 Miyata 710, frame specs question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 02:02 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts

This screen capture is from Rag & Bone puppet theater. (thanks for snagging these when the first catalog site went down!)

In the frame specs you can see the chain stays are specified as chrome steel in the team, the pro, and the 1000.

Does this mean the rest are hi-ten? Maybe manga lite to match the fork material?

does anyone have info on this?

Cheers!

Old 07-18-20, 08:09 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Does this mean the rest are hi-ten?

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
This screen capture is from Rag & Bone puppet theater. (thanks for snagging these when the first catalog site went down!)

In the frame specs you can see the chain stays are specified as chrome steel in the team, the pro, and the 1000.

Does this mean the rest are hi-ten? Maybe manga lite to match the fork material?

does anyone have info on this?

Cheers!
Hi, look at the chart further. The frame materials are listed as chrome-moly for the 710.
Old 07-18-20, 09:58 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I agree that the description is suggestive of the stays being hi-ten tubing not cr-mo.

I have the higher-level 912 from 1984, and this one also I believe has hi-ten stays. The bike weighs 24lbs with narrow rims and tires.

The chart makes very clear that the pro-level models above the 912 have cr-mo stays, but not the semi-pro series bikes.

Still I like the 912 a lot, the bike's only foible is that the shift levers seem further down the tube than I am used to. The handling is all-around good.

This bike was very rusty and sat on the sales rack at the co-op for over three years priced at $120. I negotiated a bit back in March and cleaned it up using more-concentrated oxalic acid and tooth brush for 30 minutes and it came around. Looked scary before!

These are the AFTER photos, looks better from ten feet!

Old 07-18-20, 10:01 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
In my observations of catalog specification, it seems that no fork material is ever of a higher grade than the stays. We've seen, say, 531 main tubes with 501 fork and stays (as they are usually grouped together with regard to tubing grade). With that logic working, I think that the stays on a 710 would be Mangalight. I suppose it is also possible that by omitting the stay's tubing level, that it could be hi-ten. But being a 710 and not a 310, a good part of me says that is not the case.
Old 07-19-20, 01:43 AM
intron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 21 Posts
nice bike. Love the silver

Originally Posted by dddd
I agree that the description is suggestive of the stays being hi-ten tubing not cr-mo.

I have the higher-level 912 from 1984, and this one also I believe has hi-ten stays. The bike weighs 24lbs with narrow rims and tires.

The chart makes very clear that the pro-level models above the 912 have cr-mo stays, but not the semi-pro series bikes.

Still I like the 912 a lot, the bike's only foible is that the shift levers seem further down the tube than I am used to. The handling is all-around good.

This bike was very rusty and sat on the sales rack at the co-op for over three years priced at $120. I negotiated a bit back in March and cleaned it up using more-concentrated oxalic acid and tooth brush for 30 minutes and it came around. Looked scary before!

These are the AFTER photos, looks better from ten feet!