Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Power meter for Supersix EVO

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 08:02 PM
Viceroy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all. I am riding a new Supersix EVO Ultegra 51 cm with everything as it is out of the box. I've always wanted a power meter and can now afford one. What would you suggest for a power meter? To keep everything as easy as possible for installation, and also a reasonable cost, was looking at some of the lower-cost pedal options (I use standard road cleats). I have heard the Power2max are also a good choice for Cannondales (https://powermetercity.com/product/p...d-power-meter/), but seems like this is more difficult to install. Would any of the crank arm options be reasonable (e.g. https://powermetercity.com/product/s...i-power-meter/)?

I don't need great accuracy, this is just for my own info and training but I don't race. Single-sided is therefore OK for my purposes but would consider dual.

Thanks!

Last edited by Viceroy; 07-29-20 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For Viceroy:
Old 07-29-20, 09:59 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 692 Posts
If they made PM pedals with road SPD-SL (3 bolt) cleats, I’d get me a pair. But alas, nope, not to be.
But pedals do qualify as easy to install if you are prepared to use their required cleats.
It sounds like you might refer to SPD (2 bolts) cleat, those too leave little option for PM pedals.

I looked at 4iiii and Stages cranks. Decided on Stages due to temp compensation. All I needed for install was a cheap plastic preload key and a torque wrench, took 10mins.

Went single sided at first, had fun, purchased other side.

Barry
Old 07-30-20, 05:35 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
You can buy a P2Max assembled already. All you do is install the crank.

I wouldn't get a one-sided power meter ever, but it's completely pointless at this point with all of the powermeter offerings that will actually measure total power.
Old 07-30-20, 10:01 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I picked up a refurbished Stages FSA left crank arm powermeter for my C'Dale CX bike last year for like $200. Edit: It was only $120.
It was simple to install, works flawlessly, syncs with my Garmin, works with Zwift for trainer use, etc. I'd have zero concerns buying another one.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing with a dual-sided meter?

Last edited by msu2001la; 07-30-20 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-30-20, 10:08 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by msu2001la

Well, you do know. You're missing half of your power output.

Maybe that matters, maybe it doesn't.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-30-20, 10:52 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Depending on the PM you are missing some of the more advanced reporting.
A single side just assumes 50%/50% split on the legs and doubles the power reading it gets from the left leg.
Dual reports a total power and the split per leg. If one leg is goofing off, you'll know.
My dual (Stages) also reports Torque Efficiency (TE), which is where I'm currently trying to improve.
If you push on the right pedal 60 pounds, but you don't lift your ~15 pound left leg while doing so, only 45 pounds of right leg pressure is moving the bike forward.
The right leg is in effect lifting the 15 pound left leg leaving only 45 pounds.
This TE percentage is just wasted power, and I'm trying to improve.

Be aware that an App like Strava does not capture or display these advanced metrics.
I capture the ride info with a Wahoo Bolt and the Bolt and it's App display those numbers for me.

There are other metrics, but I've yet to untangle those.

I didn't "need" dual, but having it has shown me where I'm losing some of the little power I have. 8-)

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 07-30-20, 11:04 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I am on my 2nd Power2Max and very happy with it. Never have given them any thought, just installed and given reliable power numbers since. When a new model became available offered a generous exchange policy so that was great as well.
Old 07-30-20, 12:17 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
$700 gets you a Quarq with chainrings. That's what i would get.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-30-20, 02:20 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Well, you do know. You're missing half of your power output.

Maybe that matters, maybe it doesn't.
Well or maybe more than half, or less. That being the problem.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-30-20, 11:01 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

While I agree that single-legged power meters are not as precise due to leg imbalance issues, I do think they are better than nothing.

A constant leg imbalance obviously does not affect things too much - it might make the number appear larger or smaller than reality, but as long as it is consistent, you can train with it. If the leg imbalance changes with fatigue, then yes, the numbers can become inaccurate. I guess it depends on how much the leg imbalance changes - I havent really seen more than 1-2% change in my leg balance. Even if it is a bit more, does that really destroy your training?

But if you are riding recreationally, and using the power meter mainly to gauge longer efforts - tempo or SST - then being off by 5% isnt necessarily the end of the world. You still get a good training benefit. Eg, for a non-racer who is doing an interval between 245-260W, it isnt the end of the world if they are off by 5-10W on either end. Keep in mind that I am talking about recreational riders. For racers - especially competitive ones, this would obviously be a non-starter. For general recreational riders looking to get better? Ehhh, it should still work.

To be clear, I'd still prefer a dual-sided meter and am in no way saying single sided meters are just as good. And with the difference between a Quarq and a Stages being $400, a dual-sided meter is within the reach of most people who can afford a single-sided meter.

But if someone truly is budget constrained and all they can swing is a single sided meter, I think they can get good results out of it. In this part of the world, there are a lot of kids who are quite strong riders, who come from really poor families (Asia-level poor, not Western-level poor) and cannot afford expensive kit. Our team sponsors a couple of these riders with gear and training, and they have hand-me-down Stages, and use them to pretty good effect.
Old 07-31-20, 02:26 PM
rubiksoval

You can buy used dual sided meters or wheelsets for the same price as a Stages of 4iii or something.

Hell, you can probably find a wired SRM for 250-300 if you looked.

"Budget" is really not an excuse at this point. Someone either doesn't care or they're ignorant of the issues (unlikely if they're searching on internet forums).
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-31-20, 04:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The beauty is if you have more than one bike, you only "need" one dual-sided PM. Ride that bike a few times, learn that your power imbalance is never, ever more than 2% one way or the other (and I've seen 52L/48R I think three times, and 48L/52R never,) then live a worry-free life filled with single-sided PMs.
Old 08-01-20, 02:42 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You can buy used dual sided meters or wheelsets for the same price as a Stages of 4iii or something.
Hell, you can probably find a wired SRM for 250-300 if you looked.
"Budget" is really not an excuse at this point. Someone either doesn't care or they're ignorant of the issues (unlikely if they're searching on internet forums).
Fair enough...