Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 08:59 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
..in Memphis.. This morning it was 47°!
44° in Nashville this morning. I bought some long sleeved shirts Saturday to wear on the bike. When i first saddled up, I considered adding a light jacket.. I didn't. I only felt cold on the faster downhills. It was a thoroughly enjoyable ride, wx wise.
Lots of cars this morning.. for some reason, no altercations but I had to stay extra alert.
Old 10-07-13, 09:02 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice tail wind this morning thanks to the front coming through. Hopefully the storms pass through before it's time to go home.
Old 10-07-13, 09:22 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
7C/45F, calm. Didn't eat breakfast at home because I had some fasting blood work to get done this morning, so I got off to an earlier start on the bike. Was it ever dark! Sun was just starting to peek over the horizon when I got to work. Nice sunrise, though.
Old 10-07-13, 09:47 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Decided to take a long, fitness ride in to work as I had an extra couple of hours owing to me, 61km (38mi) in just shy of 2.5hrs. Comfortably cool 12C (54F) but overcast and very blustery wind of 24kmh (15mph) from the SW which helped in a couple of sections but was more of a hindrance. It started to spray in the last 15 min so I was damp. I wore my rainshell, short-sleeved jersey and shorts and was comfortable for the whole ride.

I'm glad to have done it but I will be sore for the next couple of days, probably mostly during this afternoon's and tomorrow morning's commutes.
Old 10-07-13, 08:14 PM
Cityroller

Bikes: Norco Malahat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today in Calgary, we had a stiff wind out of the west. Most of my commute is to the west, so I briefly wonder if I should bike it, or take a train. Easy answer. Quick too. Bike it. Train is like a crowded prison. Bike, well, the bike is freedom.
Other than the wind, today was a beautiful day for a ride.
Had a few scary seconds to think how I'd spend the insurance settlement though as stopping at a four-way stop, a lady coming from the south decided she'd go around the median to the wrong side of the street, seemingly so she could take a quick left into a driveway. Barely missed me.
Really, I'd rather cycle than have the money. Really. What's the point of money unless to buy another bike?
Old 10-08-13, 06:30 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cool 2C (36F) with a slight breeze. Slow ride today as I am still recovering a bit from yesterday's 82km riding (61km in to work, 21 home). Today was the cold day of the week, the rest of the days are forecast to have lows of 4-8C (39-46C) and highs of 15-19C (59-66F) with sun.

Wore my son's Pipe-style snowboarding gloves which are rather lightweight for snowboarding gloves but seemed to be sufficient for today's ride: I had another large glove to put on over top had these turned out to be insufficient.

I left about 25min earlier than my last early morning ride in (Friday) and didn't realize how dark it was which wasn't a problem on the lit residential streets but about 3km (2mi) of my ride is on an unlit street and, of course, the highway 8km (5mi) also is unlit so I had to use my less-bright front white blinky to see the side of the road. I will be sure to put my Cree T6 flashlight back on my bike tonight for tomorrow's ride so I can see the road.

Last edited by jrickards; 10-08-13 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-08-13, 07:33 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very windy around here this week. Sunny morning, 6° celcius.

I got another flat this morning, the second in less then a week. This time was on the rear Wheel, I didn't look a the tube yet but I'm sure that it's a pinch flat because I had to ride over a small tree branch and immediately felt the rear tire going flat.

Since I've been swapping tires a few times recently and fixing a flat last week I'm getting pretty quick at it, it took me only 6-7 min and I was on my way even if I broke my co2 inflator and had to pump by hand.
Old 10-08-13, 07:50 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Great ride after taking a couple days off cycling due to tired legs and rain. Forecasters had called for more rain today but it passed to the east of us. Very windy with a screaming tailwind out of the NE, which made for fast commute this morning. Hopefully the rain will not catch me this afternoon.
Old 10-08-13, 07:53 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
BRRR!!!!

Somewhere between 45-50 today depending on where I'm at at a given moment. Wind wasn't an issue thankfully.

Broke out the leg warmers today and that helped. Hands were cold and I need to find a solution to that. My cobbled together gloves work great, until under 50 apparently. My feet were cold too, so I might need to start wearing my booties over my shoes. Looking to ride through October at least, and see what November has in store.
Old 10-08-13, 09:13 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
today was a "bottle day" as in, "it was so perfect i wish i could bottle it and keep it forever.

52 degrees, sunny, dry air, little wind, perfection.
Old 10-08-13, 09:20 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Whoa first chilly morning of the season, around 48°F. As such I had to use a little more than my typical bike shorts and short-sleeve jersey. I added a long-sleeve tech shirt under the jersey, and arm warmers under the tech shirt. Ear warmer under the helmet. Legs stayed bare and were a little cold, face was cold too. Had almost no wind and barely even sweat at all, but still it was pretty slow going, taking me 78 minutes to go 15.5 miles this morning.
Old 10-08-13, 12:22 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Wow, if I wore all of that today I would have been drenched in sweat when I got to work. Similar temp for me this morning. I had to take off the gloves and unzip my jacket about 3 miles in.

t-shirt, running pants, fleece gloves, light jacket

Beautiful ride in. Legs are tired, probably from hockey on Sunday.
Old 10-08-13, 01:49 PM
groovestew

Working from home today, but rode to a Dr. appointment this morning, then to a lunch spot to meet a friend. Cool (6C/43F) and windy. Wore jeans, t-shirt, and a hoodie, and was fine on the bike (good ventilation) but immediately became soaked in sweat upon reaching my destination and going indoors.

The river valley is really pretty with the fall colours these days. A cellphone camera doesn't do it justice, but here's a pic anyway:

Old 10-09-13, 05:05 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
The temp was a cool 35 f degrees when riding through town this morning and the starry skies it was a nice uneventful ride.
Old 10-09-13, 05:33 AM
dcb23

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bit of a headwind..took my alternate route and I learned that that particular road will be repaved...that is great news.

Three years straight of bike commuting passed sometime this week.
Old 10-09-13, 07:14 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2° celcius when I left home this morning, no Wind at all, beautiful sun. Perfect morning without a flat!.
Old 10-09-13, 07:29 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Crisp and clean 47F Fall morning ride. I was in North Carolina the last few days so first day riding this week
Old 10-09-13, 10:18 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
^ Wow, if I wore all of that today I would have been drenched in sweat when I got to work. Similar temp for me this morning. I had to take off the gloves and unzip my jacket about 3 miles in.

t-shirt, running pants, fleece gloves, light jacket

Beautiful ride in. Legs are tired, probably from hockey on Sunday.
I was wearing fingerless gloves, and no jacket. The tech shirt + jersey I think allowed a bit too much ventilation, on the front anyway, which is why I felt chilly most of the way in. I actually felt chilled all morning yesterday until about lunch. I sweat like crazy when it's hot and/or humid, but yesterday morning I really didn't break much of a sweat at all. I was also wearing a backpack which usually gets drenched, but yesterday it did not.
Old 10-09-13, 10:38 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
To that end ... yesterday on my commute home I went with the long-sleeve tech t without another layer on top. Fingerless gloves as well, bare legs. The first half of my ride, on the shaded MUP, my hands got cold (temps near 70). When I got off the MUP and onto the streets, where there was some sun, I felt better.

Lots of variations these days.
Old 10-09-13, 11:38 AM
groovestew

The dial thermometer needle was one notch to the left of 0C, so this morning was the first sub-freezing commute of the year. Managed to dress appropriately.
Old 10-09-13, 11:44 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
great! now i'm back in it!

NE England is quite slow compared to Frankfurt ... which is good for cycling
Old 10-09-13, 12:07 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had better commutes.

Cold this morning - well, for California it was, projected in the high 40s with a chance of showers. But I got the clothing pretty close: Softshell jactket over a jersey and tights over my bibs. Mid-weight insulated gloves kept the fingers comfy, and a headband kept the ears from falling off.

Everything was OK, until a couple of miles from the office, when I must have hit something with my rear tire, 'cuz it went flat in a hurry. Fortunately I think I've got the lighting figured out with both a bar-mounted light and a helmet-mounted light, so I figured changing the tire in the dark wouldn't be a problem.

Opened up my seat bag and - no nitrile gloves. Oh well, I guess my hands are just going to get dirty. I figured I should be able to find the offender who punctured my tire fairly easily, but I couldn't find anything even though I looked carefully and felt the insides all the way around (including the sidewalls) at least twice. So, I put the new tube in (with a bit of trepidation since I hadn't found what caused the flat), seated it with my mini pump to make sure I hadn't pinched the tube, then let some of the air out so I could use my CO2. The inflator I have stores an unopened CO2 clinder upside down in its body, so I went to unscrew the body from the head of the inflator and heard "Psssst". What the . . . ? Unscrew it all the way, and . . . Dang it, I must have forgotten to put a new cylinder in the inflator after the last on-road flat. Now, I keep a couple of extra cylinders in my seat pack, but I didn't want to use one, just to get me the mile or two until I got to the office (where I have a floor pump stashed in my bike locker), so I just filled it up (well, as much as about 340 strokes will get you) with the mini pump. I quickly rolled into work, conscious that I have just used up my time buffer, and if I get another mechanical, I'll be late - not the end of the world, but still . . .

Fortunately no problems in the last mile or two (well, I did have a face-palm moment when I realized I had put the chain between the cog and the hub (fixed gear), so I had to stop and re-adjust the chain so it actually engaged the teeth of the cog). Got to the office, put the bike in the locker, and head to the locker room to shower, change, etc. Finish my shower, and notice somehow my towel had fallen off the hook, and half of it is sitting in water (and the other half is soaking up more water). Wring out my towel, dry off as best I can, get dressed and head up to my office. Plug all my lights in to the USB cables, put my lunch in the refrigerator (where a co-worker asks if I had dropped a headband outside the mens room downstairs - yup it's mine got to go down and get it), and finally head over to the break room to get my morning coffee - right on time.

I guess it wasn't such a bad commute after all.
Old 10-09-13, 04:35 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Well I kinda hate to say this after the above post, but today might be the nicest day of the year to commute on my bicycle. In balance, I have had some really, really bad days over the last several years. Today makes up for them. Yea, this beats driving...
Old 10-09-13, 05:34 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The stormy weather has gone and I was back on the bike today. Very good conditions 33degF and a light head wind. It was somewhat foggy in places but a nice ride overall. It was just perfect coming home tonight at 60degF and as always the wind shifted and it was headwind again. I saw 4 roadies coming fast in my mirror. They caught up with me and slowed to chat for a while then said they had to get going and off they went. Must be nice to be young again on a CF bike.
Old 10-10-13, 04:58 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
The temp again today was 35 f, it somehow did not feel as cold as yesterday. I was warmer today that yesterday dressed exactly the same except for the gloves. It was a nice uneventful ride to work again today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.