Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need some bike recommendations

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 06:47 AM
particlepat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, new member here. I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this in, I didn't see any place just for recommendations. I also know this question probably comes up a lot so please point me into the right direction if there is a etter answer somewhere.

I used to ride a fixed gear I built myself as my main mode of transportation. However, a job in a new city with a long and unsafe commute ruled out the option of commuting. I just moved to Houston and it is increasingly apparent that I need a commuter bike here as my 5.5 drive to work takes me almost 45 minutes sometimes! I am a noob to cycling, so a lot of acronyms, abbreviations, and cycling jargon tends to go over my head, so please help me out here. I know the basics, but I am completely lost when someone says the difference between two bikes is that "one has a 105 and the other has a sora" as someone said in another forum.

Here's what I'm looking for:
Something that I can comfortably commute 12 miles round trip on and ride in my free time. Preferably with a mount for a rack on the back. I refuse to coast and like to constantly pedal, but the roads here are pretty bad and I believe I need something a little more durable than a slick roadbike tire. Park of my commute would take me through a park with a gravel road and the rain washes crap on the road from construction quite often. The terrain is mostly flat, though I will be bringing my bike with to Austin where the terrain has more hills. I also have it in my mind that I would like to possibly get into some light touring in the future. A friend recommended that I look at an entry level cyclocross bike.

I had some friends recommend various Surly bikes so I found a local dealer and walked in with la $750 budget. However, the salesman stated showing these incredible bikes in the $1300 range that seem lie they would e perfect but I can't get out of mind. One of which with the Salsa Vaya, which looks great, but is much more than I intended on spending. I also looked at various Surly bikes and loved them all. However, I'm afraid that I am getting too ambitious or that I have been blinded by these beautiful, name brand bikes and that I should stick with more of an entry level bike. Can anyone make some recommendations on what I should look for and what kinds of questions I should be asking?
Old 10-10-13, 07:22 AM
bkj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
where do you live and what's your commute? I live inside the West Loop and commute to downtown. There are many easy route choices for that.
Old 10-10-13, 08:05 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Either a cyclocross bike or a touring bike would suit your needs just fine. Your budget calls for the Nashbar Steel cyclocross bike. OTOH, I would strongly suggest that you research the Fuji Touring and the Marin Four Corners.
Old 10-10-13, 09:03 AM
particlepat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkj
where do you live and what's your commute? I live inside the West Loop and commute to downtown. There are many easy route choices for that.
I live in the Montrose area on W Dallas and Montrose. I'll be commuting about 5.5 miles to one of the business parks just west of the Galleria.

Originally Posted by WestPablo
Either a cyclocross bike or a touring bike would suit your needs just fine. Your budget calls for the Nashbar Steel cyclocross bike. OTOH, I would strongly suggest that you research the Fuji Touring and the Marin Four Corners.
Very cool I'll look into them today when I head to the bike shop during lunch.
Old 10-10-13, 10:21 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
This what you want;

My friend has 70,000 miles on his.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3072.jpg (99.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
S 183 to Goliad.jpg (97.8 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 10-10-13 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-10-13, 02:20 PM
cat

Bikes: 2012 Schwinn Slicker, 2011 Trek Sawyer, 2014 Kona Unit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would 2nd the suggestion to take a look at the Nashbar steel cyclocross bike:

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_553817_-1___

Also, if you liked the Surly (Crosscheck maybe?), but it's out of your price range, take a look at the Bikes Direct Motebecane Fantom CXX. It has a steel frame and geometry suspiciously like the Crosscheck. It's $799:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fantom_cxx.htm

I considered both of those before finally going with the Schwinn Slicker from Nashbar...
Old 10-11-13, 06:52 AM
Stryver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First thing: If you walked in to a bike shop and told them you had a $750 budget (or something similar) and they showed you $1300 bikes, then don't go back there and send the manager a note telling why you won't be going back. That is inappropriate behavior.

Second: Not coasting is fine, but for a 12 RT mile commute on gravel and pavement, sometimes carrying things and sometimes recreating, you'll probably want gears and the ability _not_ to pedal, even if briefly, at times.

Lastly: Bikesdirect and other online places are spiffy, and it sounds like you are a DIY kinda rider, but make sure you have a plan for maintenance and repair before you order online (or C-list or etc.) This plan should include acquiring tools and making available time, if you are doing it, or an established relationship with a LBS, and preferably both so you have a place to go for advice when you get over your head. A local Co-op could also meet this need. A 12 mile RT commute will mean you replace chains every few months, and repack/replace bearings possibly more than once a year.

Otherwise, there are a wide variety of bikes suitable to your need. I commuted on a converted 80's MTB in SS flavor with skinny tires (and later, drops) on a 4.5 mile one-way and 12 mile one-way. I went through a lot of chains and tires, and learned to replace the cartridge bearings on its rear hub and BB. A cross or touring bike would probably meet your needs very well, as could various other incarnations.
Old 10-14-13, 05:56 AM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cat

Also, if you liked the Surly (Crosscheck maybe?), but it's out of your price range, take a look at the Bikes Direct Motebecane Fantom CXX. It has a steel frame and geometry suspiciously like the Crosscheck. It's $799:

I considered both of those before finally going with the Schwinn Slicker from Nashbar...

Curiosity: How do you like the Slicker? I've been drooling over that one for awhile now, but the wife would probably end my life if I got another bike...I just love the simple 1x9 setup and the classy styling. Your thoughts after riding it?
Old 10-14-13, 06:04 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deeth82
Curiosity: How do you like the Slicker? I've been drooling over that one for awhile now, but the wife would probably end my life if I got another bike...I just love the simple 1x9 setup and the classy styling. Your thoughts after riding it?
I like the Schwinn Slicker too!
Old 10-14-13, 06:19 AM
cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very happy with it. I'll be swapping out the gold brakes and crankset in a few weeks, because it don't like the gold, not that there's anything wrong with them. Other than that, I swapped the wheels off of my old road bike, because they were a bit lighter. Plenty of room for bigger tires, but so far I've been using the 25s that came with the bike. I'll probably try some 32s in a few weeks to see how that rides. IMO, it's a really nice looking bike and I like the frame a lot. Great bang for the buck!

Photos in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hlight=Slicker

Last edited by cat; 10-14-13 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Added link to pics
Old 10-14-13, 06:26 AM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by cat

That Nashbar steel CX looks like a great deal. 105 bike for $800!

OP, as far as component terms go, look up the top component makers, Campagnolo, Shimano and SRAM and you'll see varying groups of components with different names. Each manufacturer has varying levels of group sets with the top of the line having the most advanced technology available. In your price range and bike type you'll be looking at Shimano and SRAM for the most part.

For Shimano the groups from top of the line down are: Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, Sora, 2300, 2200. The higher up the list, the higher the price of the bike. Shimano 105 is a very respectable groupset. I have a bike with 105 that is 9 years old and I've replaced chain and cassette and that's it.

I'm really thinking I might need to buy that Nashbar bike as a winter commuter myself.
Old 10-14-13, 08:40 AM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cat
I'm very happy with it. I'll be swapping out the gold brakes and crankset in a few weeks, because it don't like the gold, not that there's anything wrong with them. Other than that, I swapped the wheels off of my old road bike, because they were a bit lighter. Plenty of room for bigger tires, but so far I've been using the 25s that came with the bike. I'll probably try some 32s in a few weeks to see how that rides. IMO, it's a really nice looking bike and I like the frame a lot. Great bang for the buck!

Photos in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hlight=Slicker
Glad you like it! Also thanks for the info/photos...she looks beautiful! I'll admit, the gold accents are gaudy, but she's still a classy ride...not as big a fan of the 2013 model. I think I want/lust after this bike because its geometry is closest to my Schwinn Racers (only, of course, it's Reynolds 520 CroMo instead of Hi-Ten, and has vertical dropouts). It looks like it would be the most comfortable for me. I'll probably not end up getting one as I have too many bikes at this time, but I've gotta say, that bike was made to rock a Brooks saddle. Enjoy it!

Edit: I forgot to add that Suntour makes a really nice single crankset that's compatible with 9-speeds. Here's the one I purchased; they also have some others with different crank arm lengths.

Last edited by deeth82; 10-14-13 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-14-13, 08:53 AM
cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edit: I forgot to add that Suntour makes a really nice single crankset that's compatible with 9-speeds. Here's the one I purchased; they also have some others with different crank arm lengths.
I like that one...but it looks like it only comes in 42T? I'm looking for 46T. I'll probably go with the Vuelta Pista and a Paul chainkeeper (if necessary).

OP...sorry for taking the thread off topic...
Old 10-14-13, 08:55 AM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cat
I like that one...but it looks like it only comes in 42T? I'm looking for 46T. I'll probably go with the Vuelta Pista and a Paul chainkeeper (if necessary).

OP...sorry for taking the thread off topic...
Yep, only 42T...works fine for a fat-a** like me, but not for everyone.

And yes OP, sorry for the derailing (pun half-heartedly intended).
Old 10-28-13, 12:34 PM
ninio50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm looking thru the feedback and would like to ask anyone who has had experience with the Nashbar Steel cyclocross bike (2013 model) to give me their thoughts. I will be riding it around 50-75 miles per day when I get in shape along the English coast, meaning up and down hills. I've read plenty of reviews that are giving positive feedback but am a bit nervous about the weight. Any feedback appreciated. Am a new cyclist this year!