Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A really comfortable road bike saddle?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A really comfortable road bike saddle?

Old 11-13-14, 05:48 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
To answer the ops original question the answer is yes or no - depending on the individual, their arse, and their style of riding. I have two saddles that I find comfortable that I am sure that many others would not, but then I'm easy to please, so I would never presume to recommend a saddle to anyone

This is is a topic that is continually discussed but there is no saddle panacea - so good luck in your search.
Old 11-14-14, 07:28 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
OK, Jinx, what did you buy?

By the way, my Selle Anatonica NSX just came in yesterday. First impression is that it is comfortable. Stiff but soft. If the weather improves, I'll get a better impression myself, but I must say it appears to be $100 well spent. (on sale) It is more flexible than my Brooks, and I'm hoping the double ply leather keeps it that way.(stiff and soft)

Another POI! I work at making my saddle invisible. I adjust it until I don't get pushed fore or aft. Level it until I stay wherever I sit. Then, I adjust it L-R, until I cant feel it between my legs. Lastly, I adjust for height, so I don't bounce no matter what speed I peddle. Works for me - but it is a lot of adjusting to get to that point, as an adjustment can sometimes have an effect on a previous adjustment.

Last edited by Wanderer; 11-14-14 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-14-14, 07:50 AM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
OK, Jinx, what did you buy?.
As long as the seller holds up his end of the agreement?...I'll be picking up that 2013 model Specialized Sport Disc tonight after work.
Old 11-14-14, 02:14 PM
Buckeye Jim

Bikes: Motobecane Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my Cobb!
Old 11-14-14, 02:19 PM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grampa.sjb
For me, it's the Brooks B17. Tip the nose up slightly, and it's comfortable out of the box, and just gets better.
Not from my box. Was like sitting on a brick. But I stuck with it and after a few months ( i never track my miles ) it started softening up and now I won't leave home without. It's like a butt hammock. I don't even need padded shorts for my work commute. I imagine on extra long day rides padded shorts are a good idea.
Old 11-14-14, 03:06 PM
Aerohip

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I have to throw in my vote for a Brooks B-17. Took a few weeks to break in but man is it ever comfy......rode it all Summer, over 5000km. I can't imagine ever changing to another brand...
Old 11-14-14, 04:31 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
Awesome. Lol. No worries about the pictures as we aren't in the hot or not thread.
I already purchased the patent black about 10 minutes ago but my only other curiosity is how much do they weight?
Sorry. I didn't bother weighing mine but then saddle weight doesn't matter when the engine weighs ........

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-14-14, 08:51 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This won't help the OP at all, but I strongly endorse my 36 year-old Ideale Model 80 leather saddle, which I have moved onto each of the 4 bikes I have owned in that timeframe which have been my primary ride.

Too bad you can't buy them any more, except used, which means they have been broken in to fit someone else's anatomy.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 11-14-14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 09:23 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
My best answer to the thread title question?....

There was one or two soft, comfy saddles made...decades ago...

back when my legs were as strong as hydraulic pumps and my butt was hard as a rock...and now?...

my legs are weak, my butts soft and the saddles are hard as a rock! LOL!
Old 11-15-14, 06:28 AM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've found that the Specialized Avatar works best for me of the several saddles I have tried. The more expensive Toupe is fine for short fast rides but 3-4 hours into a century it leaves me sore over the sit bones.
Old 11-15-14, 07:57 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
Well?...I feel funny posting or suggesting anything here because I'm a new re-entry into the world of cycling...but maybe a re-rookie perspective might serve as a fresh perspective and as I read through the thread here I see where the OP is being asked about how he dealt with his previous six years here having been a registered member since 2008...in regards to his apparent onset of saddle pain...as a smile came upon my heart thinking...maybe.....just maybe....I might have the answer as follows.....and I believe this may become an issue for many of us as father time passes us by...and that thought is this...

"Aging & Weakening Legs"

I mean lets face it...try as we may?...at some point?...."The Climb"...will be over for us...and "ADAPTING" to our physical decline will become the order of the day...and I'm not trying to be mean here...I'm trying to be helpful in explaining that....

For me?...returning to cycling is quite the undertaking....I'm a 56 year old recovering addict with 4 1/2 years clean and sober who just quit smoking 2 1/2 months ago and a couple years ago discovered he had typeII diabetes who's 5' 6" frame carries 210lbs on what appears to be these days best described as "Chicken Legs"....legs that I'm desperately trying to save from the ravages of diabetic neuropathy and smoking related circulation issues...proof?...here I am 2 months ago after one of my first ride on my old giant ocr3...

and now onto "My Point":

I went through several saddles before dropping a $100 on a properly sized and fit romin evo...but even then?...the fine tuning of such took many rides...and through the course of that process?....(along with adapting a $40 angle adjustable stem)...my mission took the form of...

"A Balance Of Pain & Numbness"

as I adjusted this and tweaked that until both my hands and butt gave up the ghost at the same time and why was this necessary?...simple..."A Gross Lack Of Pedal Power"...the same pedal power that would've allowed me to snick it up into higher gear ratios and give more "Supportive Relief" to all that body weight that is otherwise resting on my butt and hands.

But there is a bright spot for me here...that being?...I don't have to tolerate all that tingling and numbness "Until I Get There" where my legs can become more supportive of my body weight...how you ask?....simple.....by asking myself...

"What the heck are you doing trying to ride such an aggressive ergo/aero type bike design?"

and admitting to myself that..."I'm not there yet!"...so if I want to experience butt issues?...all I have to do is grab my Giant OCR3 RB...swing a leg over...fold myself in 1/2...and then try to support the weight of my body for 10 miles....with the pedal power I don't have..."YET".

Then I bought an old inexpensive mountain bike where my body is in a less aggressive more upright position...where the weight of my body becomes more of an asset over the pedals rather than a deficit to my butt and hands and....holy cow...what a difference in comfort levels.

Now I know there's a whole lot of riders much older than I falling into the drops of a RB and rolling out centuries but guess what?...they didn't just start pedaling a few months ago...and what I'm saying here?....is I can see that working in reverse as well....where one fateful day (that patiently waits for us all)...climbing on an aggressive ergo RB is going to begin to present issues we never had problems with before.

Me?...I just bought another bike...a hybrid...in hopes that I'll be able to regain enough leg strength and pedal power too....one day climb aboard my Giant RB and pedal for miles upon miles in confident comfort and with any luck?...the decades will pass and I'll die on a cruiser!

But until then?...I'll keep reading "The Little Train That Could"
From a 75yo. Getting and keeping in shape is more than bicycling, IMHO.

Your whole body needs attention.

Appropriate stretching, attention to muscles NOT used in bicycling, endurance in other activities.

Yesterday:

Prescribed stretching (from my PT for trochanteric bursitis); balance training; heavy resistance training (for a 75yo) - i.e., BP 165 lbs, lat pull down 130 lbs, 90- second planks x 2; 40 consecutive pushups x 2 and other varieties of strength training (I also use TRX); 1 mile walk in sub-freezing temperatures; 50 minute swim; 60 minutes in spinning class. Also, I've lost 20 pounds last few months (which I really needed to do- however - the result is none of my "suit" clothes fit.)

I'd throw in appropriate blood pressure and heart rate and lab test results and good nutrition.

Just my thoughts on overall physcial fitness.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-15-14 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-15-14, 08:51 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I have a couple Lyonrone saddles from the '50's. Thick supple leather. Don't even know they are there when riding. And they look great too.
Old 11-15-14, 09:17 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I still have the L Turbo ("Lady") from my Trek 760. It's real comfy but too heavy and estrogen-like for my tastes. New one coming in the spring.
Old 11-15-14, 09:35 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
"I mean lets face it...try as we may?...at some point?...."The Climb"...will be over for us...and "ADAPTING" to our physical decline will become the order of the day...and I'm not trying to be mean here...I'm trying to be helpful in explaining that...."

You have mentioned previously about 80 year-olds sort of being over the line, and at 56 you/we are adapting to decline. WRONG

At 56, you are just a beginner. I started at 58yo. You are NOT in a physical decline unless you want to be. There is a great amount of room (as many of us have proven) for physical improvement after 56 - but it is a matter of attitude. Don't put yourself down. Some of us are at our best, even into our 70's. You have years to improve, and you will, given a positive attitude.
Old 11-15-14, 09:39 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
+1 That does make a difference!

After a sit bones measurement and some trial and error I'd found a saddle I really liked. But I bought a 2nd bike and the saddle had been discontinued. I took the saddle with me to make the rounds at LBS to find a similar replacement. I tried two. One seemed even more comfortable than what I had been using. And the next one.... was/is a pleasure to sit on. I mean it... it's more comfortable than anything else I sit on.

The other day I noticed my saddle disappeared from the LBS... so I checked and I couldn't find it on line ether. After some searching around... I did find it. So now I have a brand new spare saddle. If you have a saddle you're really fond of... IMHO a spare is a good idea.

BTW the 2nd place saddle... is on my rain bike.
So Dave, what the heck saddles are we talking about here?
Old 11-15-14, 09:45 AM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
"I mean lets face it...try as we may?...at some point?...."The Climb"...will be over for us...and "ADAPTING" to our physical decline will become the order of the day...and I'm not trying to be mean here...I'm trying to be helpful in explaining that...."

You have mentioned previously about 80 year-olds sort of being over the line, and at 56 you/we are adapting to decline. WRONG

At 56, you are just a beginner. I started at 58yo. You are NOT in a physical decline unless you want to be. There is a great amount of room (as many of us have proven) for physical improvement after 56 - but it is a matter of attitude. Don't put yourself down. Some of us are at our best, even into our 70's. You have years to improve, and you will, given a positive attitude.
+1. This. I am 54. When I was 53, I weighed 284 pounds, and was a type II diabetic who had maxed out on meds, when my doctor told me the next step was insulin or bariatric surgery. She scared me into getting serious about it, and with a combination of diet, swimming, and cycling, I have dropped 77 pounds in the past 15 months, drastically reduced my diabetes meds, and am in the best shape I've been since my mid-thirties.
Old 11-15-14, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
consider a Suspension seat post. 284 pounds is past their capacity, though..

There Id suggest a Recumbent.
Old 11-15-14, 11:32 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
There are two elements of a comfortable saddle:
one that fits your butt and has the right amount of padding for your use
and
one that gets enough use that your butt gets conditioned to it.
Yup. And for me, two that meet those criteria are about the two most different saddles around: Brooks B17 standard and Fizik Arione. It really comes down to trying a bunch of saddles and finding the ones that work for you.

SP
OC, OR
Old 11-15-14, 12:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Yup. My overweight 82 y.o. aunt started going to the gym about a year ago, having previously had about a zero interest in physical activity. She's lost ~30 lbs., deadlifts 50, and can walk around carrying dumbells instead of needing a walker. She's quite the proselytizer. But can she convince her really overweight daughter to come with her? Nope.

Find a saddle that you can tolerate and ride it as much as you can. One of the interesting things that my aunt's trainer advised her was not to do aerobics until she had recovered some muscular strength. So that's something that one might consider when starting out: including strength building at the gym.
Old 11-15-14, 02:49 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
The trouble is that many cyclists find that when they use a saddle wide enough to compress the glutes it causes cramps.
In recumbent circles, that is known as 'recumbent butt.' Interesting to know that uprights can have it, too; I always thought that a wide saddle would chafe the inner thighs before cramps happened. BTW, for a recumbent, the solution is to simply lie back further, which distributes some of the rider's weight to the seat back.
Old 11-15-14, 03:17 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
So Dave, what the heck saddles are we talking about here?
I use a saddle with a cutout. I don't recommend them because I don't think most people ether need or would benefit from one. The ones I've owned have not been expensive. My 1st cutout saddle was a Fort'e brand in a model no longer available. But I found the Forté Pro saddle to be very comfortable... almost cushy... although I didn't like it's looks as much (so much white didn't look good with the bike I wanted it for).

Now I use the Selle Italia Q-bik (also a cutout). It has some padding... but no cush... it's firm. It feels as natural and as comfortable as the buttock muscles themselves. I would guess... if other people (in large numbers at least) found the saddle as comfortable as I do... they would continue to make it.
Old 11-16-14, 06:56 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
TL;DR; Anyone mention Brooks B-17?
Old 11-16-14, 09:09 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I use a saddle with a cutout. I don't recommend them because I don't think most people ether need or would benefit from one. The ones I've owned have not been expensive.
You mean most people don't have nerves and blood vessels in their perineum?

Actually, many saddle companies have cut out saddles that are very similar to their non cutout saddles. People who can ride the non cut saddles can usually ride the cut out saddles with no problems. The converse is not true. So, it would seem that to shorten the process of getting to a comfortable saddle, the opposite would be the way to go. Look for a cut out saddle first.

J.
Old 11-16-14, 09:18 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
An aside to the conversation........ I currently ride regular Brooks B=17 and love them. Getting ready to try a Selle. What is the consensus for model? X or NSX on a Sirrus?
I have ridden Brooks for years, tried the "latest greatest new thing ever" a few times, went back to Brooks. Now I have a Brooks, VO and Selle Anatomica X on different bikes. I don't notice any difference except the air circulation in the cutout on the Selle.

Marc
Old 11-16-14, 09:29 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I bought a Selle AnAtomica NSX, graphite in color. I like the looks a lot, and it is semi stiff now, and is comfortable for a short ride. I've had 2 short rides on it so far, and it really is comfortable right out of the bag.

Weightwise it is lighter than I thought it would be. I bought the NSX at Selle AnAtomica's suggestion, to have it last longer.

Weather has turned up here, so not likely there will be any long rides till spring.

I Proofhided it, and it will probably be in storage for 4 months (or longer)...... LOL (A friend offered me use of his Saddlesauce). The Saddlesauce looks, feels, and smells like Lexol, but I don't want the leather softer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.