Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chocolate pea milk as a recovery drink?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chocolate pea milk as a recovery drink?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 05:31 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mrchristian
I only drink milk after a workout mixed with whey powder. The normal cheap milk gallons go bad on me fast for whatever reason (my fridge is definitely cold enough). Switched to Horizon Organic Milk - was told it lasts way, way longer than normal milk in the fridge and it really does. I don't buy organic anything else, just that unless its the same price. It seems more expensive but I don't even up throwing it out.

Any of those fake nut milk beverages make my stomach churn, especially almond milk, blech. My body doesn't like all the chemicals and binders they put in them for mouth feel I think.
Are the Horizon products ultra-pasteurized? That could be the reason it lasts so long. You could look for other milks that are ultra-pasteurized but cheaper, even room tempersture shelf packs of milk. And why don't you just buy 1/2 gallons instead of gallons of regular milk? Wouldn't that be a solution?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-10-17, 05:41 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I only drink milk after a workout mixed with whey powder. The normal cheap milk gallons go bad on me fast for whatever reason (my fridge is definitely cold enough). Switched to Horizon Organic Milk - was told it lasts way, way longer than normal milk in the fridge and it really does. I don't buy organic anything else, just that unless its the same price. It seems more expensive but I don't even up throwing it out.

Any of those fake nut milk beverages make my stomach churn, especially almond milk, blech. My body doesn't like all the chemicals and binders they put in them for mouth feel I think.

We've had this problem as well, but I notice that this is a summer phenomenon--or, it seems to be with us anyway. It never happens in the winter, so I'm thinking it is a transport/processing issue in high temperatures. I switch to milk in bottles and there is never a problem (Strauss Family, which is excellent!). I think glass just keeps milk colder. That's my guess, anyway.
Old 09-10-17, 05:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
We've had this problem as well, but I notice that this is a summer phenomenon--or, it seems to be with us anyway. It never happens in the winter, so I'm thinking it is a transport/processing issue in high temperatures. I switch to milk in bottles and there is never a problem (Strauss Family, which is excellent!). I think glass just keeps milk colder. That's my guess, anyway.
Glass also lends itself to a higher level of sterilization due to its smooth, hard surface. There could be less original bioburden in the glass package than in the plastic or plastic-coated paperboard ones.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-10-17, 08:00 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I looked it up - Horizon is Ultra Pasteurized. I don't buy the half gallons because they go bad even faster than the gallons do.
Now that you mention it, when I used to drink milk, I noticed the same thing.

Often, the plastic containers had a nasty smell the first time they were unsealed.

Yuck.
Old 09-11-17, 07:11 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Search PER or Protein efficiency ratio and you can find more information.
PER is accurate for rats.

PDCAAS is accurate for humans.
Old 09-11-17, 07:45 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque
PER is accurate for rats.

PDCAAS is accurate for humans.
PDCAAS from Growing Male Rats
Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Scores and Digestible Indispensable Amino Acid Scores Differentially Describe Protein Quality in Growing Male Rats

I would not expect either one to be right on for most individuals. Many tables are calculated and just like other calculated tables they don't always hold true for all conditions.

"The lowest protein digestibility–corrected amino acid ratio was calculated using the amino acid requirement pattern for the 1–2-y-old child"

The OP was about a recovery drink apparently, not a powder/mix and not for body building (as I already posted). The relative rankings of what provides protein best is pretty much the same. My opinion was peas were good, because my opinion was the high protein was not needed after an aerobic activity. Others corrected me and essentially said, you need carbs after an aerobic activity.

Last edited by Doge; 09-11-17 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-11-17, 10:16 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hm.

If either one will be right on for any individual, how could they differ in their assessments of the value of various proteins?
Old 09-11-17, 10:43 AM
Gasser5.2

Bikes: 2016 Trek Domane 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I read the "milk" in the title, but I can find the word when I buy it, or when I mix it.
I believe the OP (who we have not heard from since post 1), just means the pea protein powder and milk - other than the color has nothing to do with it.
It is not a milk substitute and didn't come from a gland. It seems to be crushed peas and coco and stuff.

Or is there a milk in this someplace?
This thread has already been "milked" beyond my expectations, but for those hung up on what does or doesn't constitute milk, I just called it what the manufacturer calls it. It's already milkesque, or in a state of milkness - no mixing needed.

https://www.ripplefoods.com/

Old 09-11-17, 10:47 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Gasser5.2
This thread has already been "milked" beyond my expectations, but for those hung up on what does or doesn't constitute milk, I just called it what the manufacturer calls it. It's already in a state of milkness - no mixing needed.

https://www.ripplefoods.com/

Can't see anything wrong with it as a recovery drink. The 8g protien, and being pea based is not so much. They say less sugar than chocolate milk. I'd lean toward more sugar.
Old 09-11-17, 10:49 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Masque
Hm.

If either one will be right on for any individual, how could they differ in their assessments of the value of various proteins?
Fixed that.