Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Enve SES 4.5 AR - thoughts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Enve SES 4.5 AR - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-17, 07:59 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Presuming you’re asking specifically about inflation and tire health items:
• Plug kit (like Genuine Innovations UST Tubeless Plug Patch Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B139BA0/ ) for very bad punctures.
• Spare tube and tire boot, for the worst case.
• CO2 inflator, if you’re so inclined. I consider this part of the spare tube.

Those and a pump and you’re golden. It takes one heck of a flat to cause a significant loss in pressure before the tire seals, so the pump is insurance and the tube is your “spare tire”.
Old 10-24-17, 09:20 PM
HNg1970

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so so so much. Now just get the bike built! LBS has all the parts for 3 weeks and counting.
Old 10-24-17, 10:00 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
50mm is the new 90mm.
Old 10-24-17, 11:38 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
50mm is the new 90mm.
For MTB handlebar stems.
Old 12-02-17, 10:41 PM
HNg1970

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you guys can really shed wisdom on these wheels. I am at point of returning or getting rid of these wheels.
My wheels with Chris King upgrade arrived. After 35 miles, the rear wheels are not rolling as freely as my 303, 404, or Vision.
Is there a break-in period before "rotating resistance" is no longer an issue?
My trusted LBS tells me this is normal break-in period.
Thank you.
Old 12-03-17, 12:45 PM
HNg1970

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps more background of the issue:
Ordered with Chris King Upgrade
Arrived with QR instead of Thru-Axle. LBS ordered kit to convert.
Within 15 miles, noticed wheel had bad disc-brake rub. LBS said it was due to "hub falling off". Fixed
LBS also informed me that they are waiting for a Chris-King Kit to fix the bottom bracket. Apparently not fit too well with my Sram Red/Quarq.
During next 60 miles, when on bike rack, wheel does not rotate as freely as Zipp 404, Vision. Though these are on different bike.
Brought the bike back to LBS, they told me it needs break-in period.

I love my LBS. But does this make sense?
Thanks
Old 12-03-17, 02:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Mine didn't have a break-in period. I have DT 240 hubs.
Old 12-03-17, 02:47 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HNg1970
But does this make sense?
Nope, not to me.
Old 12-03-17, 07:47 PM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Brought the bike back to LBS, they told me it needs break-in period..... does this make sense?
Thanks
Makes no sense to me based on my experience with the 'standard' DT hubs - just love the wheels (using Schwalbe Pro One 28mm @ about 60psi)

... Arrived with QR instead of Thru-Axle....
On reflection, I find it a little unusual to order QR with disk brakes in 2017 (I understand one of the important benefits of Thru-axle is a precise placement of the disk-rotor each and every time wheel is inserted in the frame)
- I think someone must have made a very specific request for that combination.
- Did you ever phone ENVE about this order? I have found their customer service personnel to be very good.
Old 12-04-17, 09:24 AM
mtbpete

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps more background of the issue:
Ordered with Chris King Upgrade
Arrived with QR instead of Thru-Axle. LBS ordered kit to convert.
Within 15 miles, noticed wheel had bad disc-brake rub. LBS said it was due to "hub falling off". Fixed
LBS also informed me that they are waiting for a Chris-King Kit to fix the bottom bracket. Apparently not fit too well with my Sram Red/Quarq.
During next 60 miles, when on bike rack, wheel does not rotate as freely as Zipp 404, Vision. Though these are on different bike.
Brought the bike back to LBS, they told me it needs break-in period.

I love my LBS. But does this make sense?
Thanks
The Chris king hub ratchet system has more drag when coasting than some other hub. The bearings also have good seals. Each of these will break in some and result in a smoother coasting wheel. But most of it is the ratchet system which is normal. You may also have bearings that are not adjusted properly and the preload is too tight.
Old 12-06-17, 06:45 PM
HNg1970

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took back to my bike shop and per them preload is correct.
Contacted Enve and their response below. This is educational to all of us. Perhaps, DT would be a better options.

"It is true that Chris King hubs do have a break in period...from our personal experience I've only seen them get smoother and smoother over time. To some extent, every hub has a break in period as the teeth begins to take shape and the grease works in the the mechanisms."

152 miles, as of today and still rotating with drag. IF I were to do this all over again, as of today, I would have gone with other wheels.
Old 12-06-17, 08:55 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Huh, I still find some of that surprising. Teeth take shape? Anyway, thanks for following up.
Old 12-06-17, 10:03 PM
Dean V

Took back to my bike shop and per them preload is correct.
Contacted Enve and their response below. This is educational to all of us. Perhaps, DT would be a better options.

"It is true that Chris King hubs do have a break in period...from our personal experience I've only seen them get smoother and smoother over time. To some extent, every hub has a break in period as the teeth begins to take shape and the grease works in the the mechanisms."

152 miles, as of today and still rotating with drag. IF I were to do this all over again, as of today, I would have gone with other wheels.
11 posts on BF and all of them knocking this wheelset!!
Maybe the issue is with the LBS?
There is no reason why they can't be set up to be as good or better than any other hub/wheelset out there.
Are you happy with the way they ride?
Can you notice this drag slowing you down when you ride or is it only noticable when you spin them off the ground?
Old 12-07-17, 06:58 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
Huh, I still find some of that surprising. Teeth take shape? Anyway, thanks for following up.
There's no such thing as a perfectly made part. Gears in transmissions have break-in periods and I see no reason why not to expect a freehub ratchet mechanism to require some break-in, too. However, I'm far more inclined to believe that the seals in the bearings are what the source of the drag is, but that is also something that will get smoother over time.

The beauty of freehub drag is that it goes away if you pedal your bike
Old 12-07-17, 07:06 AM
HNg1970

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS is great. Same person takes care of my Pinarello, Erickson, Niners, Cervelo.... So this is why I am so frustrated with these wheels.

I like the way these ride at pressure of 65. However, do notice issue during ride and rolling of of the ground. It is not bad. Since I waited so long for the correct hub and paid good $ for them, am I being too picky?
Old 12-08-17, 10:28 AM
Seattle Forrest

My LBS is great. Same person takes care of my Pinarello, Erickson, Niners, Cervelo.... So this is why I am so frustrated with these wheels.

I like the way these ride at pressure of 65. However, do notice issue during ride and rolling of of the ground. It is not bad. Since I waited so long for the correct hub and paid good $ for them, am I being too picky?
What do you mean exactly?
Old 12-10-17, 06:40 PM
HNg1970

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well we found out partial issue today.
After 58 miles, while I was dying keeping up 26mph, one my fellow rider drafting behind me for the last 2 miles, noted the rear wheel has lateral movement.
On my Kuat bike carried, lateral slack was noticeable. Even with 180 lbs on the bike the wheel showed similar lateral slack.
Drop the bike at LBS.
Old 12-10-17, 09:45 PM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I can understand frustration if your 4.5ARs are failing to meet your expectations for the $ spent.

As previously indicated, I am loving my 4.5ARs built with DT-240 hubs (just wish I was a stronger cyclist so I could realise the full benefit from these outstanding wheels!)

I do not know if you are being too picky. However, at this stage I think I should leave you to sort this out on your own - right or wrong (see pre-apology below) my impression is you have developed fixed views about certain aspects of the situation:
~ issues started with QR (but you ignored more than one suggestion to contact ENVE to find out the background to this situation);
~ you have concerns about the CK hubs, which I have no experience of but I believe have a good reputation. (I note you contacted ENVE about these hubs, but not CK directly);
~ your concern about the hubs seems to have turned you off the entire wheel (despite all other input on the quality of these wheels being uniformly positive);
~ you maintain a complete trust in your LBS, but (i) you did not check with ENVE re the QR issue (seems quite possible to me that LBS to blame); and now (ii) you have an issue with lateral movement of the wheel. As stated, I have no experience with CK hubs, but if that is a potential issue with the hubs I would expect an excellent LBS to be alerting you to need for checking. Thought, did the LBS respond to your question about over-loading by loosening too much?

I apologize in advance if I am misreading the situation - perhaps I am in a difficult mood because winter has descended up in Canada and I am likely restricted to the trainer for 10 weeks or so.

Hope you manage to sort everything out, and get to enjoy the 4.5ARs before too long.
Old 12-11-17, 08:12 AM
HNg1970

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not dedicated enough to be on a trainer. Bought the Wahoo, Monitor stands.... Used it (3) times and they are aging quite nicely.

Regarding the QR, after my frame maker and LBS recommended these wheels, I configured the wheels online and sent the link to LBS. There were NO QR options at all. I called and sent them email questioning why QR was sent (we had to wait for the wheels to be made)l and they skirted the issue. Once the conversion kit arrived, they finally responded "...glad that the correct axle kit was provided and you are rolling..."

Perhaps these wheels are like wines, I am not good enough to appreciate. I can't tell the huge difference between 2014 and 2012 Joseph Phelps. Sadly, my significant other can. Just finished ride on my backup titanium with newer Zipp 454/Corsa 28mm. To be honest, I wouldn't miss the Enve at all if they don't come back.
Old 12-11-17, 08:13 AM
HNg1970

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh BTW, this will the third preload adjuster...within 200 miles.
Old 12-11-17, 12:38 PM
Dean V

It isn't brain surgery. They are just bike hubs.
Your LBS should be able to tear them down, diagnose faults (if any), fix them, and reassemble them.
If they can't do that find someone that can.
Venting about mystery faults on a public forum won't solve anything.
Old 12-11-17, 07:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Hey, look at that. I started this thread a year ago today.

Might as well update it.

I bought the wheels, back around when I started this thread. And loved them. Enve even hard a promotion going and threw in a free road bar.

Then the bike/wheels got stolen, it was locked in the car for a rest stop, somebody broke the window. Riding on just regular very good wheels was kind of disappointing after getting used to the 4.5 ARs. They're incredibly smooth, very fast, handle beautifully, they're better in cross winds than they have any right to be. I'm a little heavy by road standards, and I beat the crap out of these wheels. So I got another set. And guess what? They're fantastic wheels.

New bike:

Old 12-12-17, 07:40 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
^Remember your early posts...

I've put about 7,000km on mine since getting them...wouldn't want to be rinding anything else...

Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 12-14-17, 01:04 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Can you use compass spampede pass 32mm on these rims?
Old 12-14-17, 01:26 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
Can you use compass spampede pass 32mm on these rims?
It's not recommended.

First, the rims use a special hookless wall design that relies on a very stiff bead to securely mount the tire. The Stampede Pass is a non-tubeless tire, so it isn't guaranteed to have an appropriate bead. It might work, but it might also be more blowout-prone.

Second, the Stampede Pass has a nominal width of 32mm, whike the 4.5 AR is optimized for tires of 28-30mm. A too-big tire can prevent the rim from smoothly capturing the airflow off the tire, compromising the purpose of the wheels. Not a huge issue, but one that I'd care about if I was dropping $3000 on a wheelset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.