Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Speaking of DNF's...Have you ever?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 12:47 AM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Proud to say I have not!

I did think about it twice. Once on a ride called Breathless Agony. Not because I was physically unable but the psychological side of the ride got me. Why? I was doing well, no problems when I pulled into the ranger station CHECK POINT about 32 miles in. This ride is 12,000 ft of climbing, most of it in the first 72 miles then a long downhill. So I was in pretty far at this point. Timed event and one must check in at each check point as there are time cut offs. If you are not on schedule, you are pulled off the road.

Anyway, I pulled into the ranger station, a friend was already at the station and had a flat. He asked to use my pump as soon as I rolled in. trying to help the guy out, I immediately removed my pump and totally forgot about the check in. Timed even and I lost about 10 minutes helping the guy. So I hopped on my bike and headed out. I was climbing Damnation Alley when I realized I had forgotten the check in. Remembering reading in the rules, if one forgets to check in, the rider could be disqualified! @#$%^^&*&^!!!!!

I had just about finished climbing Damnation Alley when I remembered. No way was I going to roll down 6 miles, check in then do it again. So my mind told me I was disqualified. I actually sat up and thought that was it. Then I saw an official's vehicle on the side of the road. I stopped to explain the situation asking about disqualification. He explained I would be penalized 10 minutes on my official time, that was it!

I was so happy I continued on and the rest of the ride up Angelus Oaks was a breeze. Amazing how the psych part of a ride can get you down.

---------------------------------------

Another time I was doing a Metric Century in Borrego Springs (desert scene). I rode out to Salton Sea no problem. I was rolling pretty good. I stopped tasted the Dudley bread then BAM! Instant Migraine City!!!

When I get a migraine, I get the blind spot spinning aura. Really sickening. My tongue gets numb, my arm, then my leg, then my stomach and I will puke my guts out into dry heaves. After the aura is gone, the real pain starts. Pounding head, nausea, dizziness and slight visual impairment. Yes, been to the docs since I was a young teen and no cures.

So I was out at the rest stop, 32 miles in. Ready to take a ride back I said screw it. I paid to ride, made the 2 hour trip to drive to the desert, I was going to ride.

I hopped on my bike having read articles on migraines. Some people said they concentrate on their toes or finger tips to try to reroute the blood flow from their brains. So I thought maybe the same would help if I concentrated on my thighs turning the pedals. I couldn't see so I put my head down and followed the white line from what I could see. I was feeling sick but concentrating on my thighs. Not working much so I figured I would push harder. If I puked in front of everyone, that would be cool because I know I was going to pass them again sooner or later. How cool would that be to see some dude puke his guts out then get on his bike and pass you?

So that is what I did! I was toward the front of the mass start when I popped the migraine. By the time I decided to continue, several had left the rest stop. I pedaled harder and harder to diver the blood flow. After 20-30 minutes I could see again and boom, I was passing riders. Not because I was trying to pass people, but because I was concentrating on trying to kill my legs. Passing people was just a fun bonus and adds to the memories.

Got back to the finish line feeling a little better but not well. POST RIDE BBQ???? No thanks! I hopped in my vehicle and headed home. Didn't even get to see much of the finishers at this point. Very few at the finish when I left. Sorry, not sticking around to greet the others. Drove home with the chills wondering if I was going to puke, Stopped at a small store, picked up a 7Up that seemed to make me feel a little better but Dang it, I missed the free BBQ! Well I am after all still a Clydesdale!

So proud to say, nope haven't DNF'd.
Old 12-18-18, 11:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
After three days of literally constant, cold rain on the road, a failed rain jacket, no rain pants (forgot to pack them), a near serious crash in front of a car, worsening mechanical trouble caused by the weather and the possibility that I was riding towards the remnants of a hurricane, I abandoned a tour across PA back in September. The guy who got me into riding back the 80s drove 4.5 hrs. to pick me up from a seedy motel in Western PA. We then drove 3 hrs. back to his country place to spend the night them home to Philly the following morning. That is what you call a friend.

Pro tip: When lining your leg warmers with newspaper to keep warm, don't use the circulars.

Old 12-18-18, 12:05 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Yes. Twice

Was doing the long route on a century I had previously ridden the ~60 mile option. I got to the last check in station for the ride, 7-8 miles from the finish and was cramping too bad to complete the ride. I had been dropped by the club as well as supporting friends by the time I made that last check, and they were packing it in already. Even with getting in the SAG I was among the last three people to come in and AFAIK the last person actually riding on the road. The checkpoint people had to call the SAG person's personal phone to get him to come after me. It was a total moment of shame for me to have to SAG in.

The other was during a century option ride we did that started at the local Speedway. It was cold, raining, and pretty terrible that morning. I used entirely too much energy during the early part of the ride and wasn't eating/drinking right. I got just short of the 60 mile mark and the route came close to the start/end point. I had long since been dropped by the "club" contingent of the ride. Myself and two good friends stayed together, they were giving me support. I almost hopped in the SAG wagon and they convinced me to stay on bike and ride, but to cut off route and head back to the finish point together.
Old 12-18-18, 12:45 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
After three days of literally constant, cold rain on the road, a failed rain jacket, no rain pants (forgot to pack them), a near serious crash in front of a car, worsening mechanical trouble caused by the weather and the possibility that I was riding towards the remnants of a hurricane, I abandoned a tour across PA back in September. The guy who got me into riding back the 80s drove 4.5 hrs. to pick me up from a seedy motel in Western PA. We then drove 3 hrs. back to his country place to spend the night them home to Philly the following morning. That is what you call a friend.

Pro tip: When lining your leg warmers with newspaper to keep warm, don't use the circulars.

Old 12-18-18, 02:18 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
yep, once. First trip out to the black hills, was riding from spearfish back to deadwood. It was HOT and I couldn't get back up the hills to get to deadwood.....called for the sag wagon. that was my once and hopefully last......
Old 12-18-18, 02:19 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Yes. Twice

Was doing the long route on a century I had previously ridden the ~60 mile option. I got to the last check in station for the ride, 7-8 miles from the finish and was cramping too bad to complete the ride. I had been dropped by the club as well as supporting friends by the time I made that last check, and they were packing it in already. Even with getting in the SAG I was among the last three people to come in and AFAIK the last person actually riding on the road. The checkpoint people had to call the SAG person's personal phone to get him to come after me. It was a total moment of shame for me to have to SAG in.

The other was during a century option ride we did that started at the local Speedway. It was cold, raining, and pretty terrible that morning. I used entirely too much energy during the early part of the ride and wasn't eating/drinking right. I got just short of the 60 mile mark and the route came close to the start/end point. I had long since been dropped by the "club" contingent of the ride. Myself and two good friends stayed together, they were giving me support. I almost hopped in the SAG wagon and they convinced me to stay on bike and ride, but to cut off route and head back to the finish point together.

Old 12-18-18, 02:20 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdmc530
yep, once. First trip out to the black hills, was riding from spearfish back to deadwood. It was HOT and I couldn't get back up the hills to get to deadwood.....called for the sag wagon. that was my once and hopefully last......

Old 12-18-18, 02:42 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Once. Doing an unsupported century with a small group of riders, called the 16 Pass OC Death Ride last year. It was HOT. My Garmin data shows temp range of 68 - 117 degrees that day. Had just filled bottles in Mission Viejo but was out of water again 6 miles later. Refilled them at Cooks Corner (you haven't lived til you've walked into a biker bar wearing spandex!). Max temperature was reached at the top of Modjeska Grade. We stopped at the gas station in Orange after getting out of Santiago Canyon I was cooked. Those of us who were left agreed to skip the remaining climbs in Anaheim Hills and head back down to Irvine. Ended up at 90 miles and 6,100 feet.

It worked out, this was two weeks before Breathless Agony. Based on this ride I dropped my max heart rate target during climbs and completed BA without trouble (other than the rain, fog and sleet!)
Old 12-18-18, 03:02 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Once. Doing an unsupported century with a small group of riders, called the 16 Pass OC Death Ride last year. It was HOT. My Garmin data shows temp range of 68 - 117 degrees that day.

I!)
Ouch!
Old 12-18-18, 03:32 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Not yet.
But I probably should have, twice.
Not during riding though.
One was a 19 mile cross-country run. Left Achilles tendon started aching maybe halfway through. Was hurting badly at 2/3. I made it, but during the short break to change into dry clothes, pick up the diploma etc the leg stiffened up considerably and I was limping badly when we headed for the car. Took more than a month before I could walk normally again.
The other was a 56 mile Nordic Skiing event where it got bitterly cold. -17 C at the start, -24 C over the moorlands. 1/3 in, I had to take the mittens off for a toilet break, and the thumbs never got warm again. 6 miles left, the heated soles failed.
Lost a couple of toenails, got a nasty patch of necrosis on the pad of one toe, and shedded the skin off the tips of my thumbs.
Quitting would have been the clever thing.
Old 12-18-18, 04:36 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dabac
Not yet.
But I probably should have, twice.
Not during riding though.
One was a 19 mile cross-country run. Left Achilles tendon started aching maybe halfway through. Was hurting badly at 2/3. I made it, but during the short break to change into dry clothes, pick up the diploma etc the leg stiffened up considerably and I was limping badly when we headed for the car. Took more than a month before I could walk normally again.
The other was a 56 mile Nordic Skiing event where it got bitterly cold. -17 C at the start, -24 C over the moorlands. 1/3 in, I had to take the mittens off for a toilet break, and the thumbs never got warm again. 6 miles left, the heated soles failed.
Lost a couple of toenails, got a nasty patch of necrosis on the pad of one toe, and shedded the skin off the tips of my thumbs.
Quitting would have been the clever thing.

I have a bud that hikes the local mtns. He wants me to go camp with him up there at 8,000 ft sleeping in sleeping bags he claims are made for those cold temps. No thanks, it snows, people die up there and I don't plan to be one of them.
Old 12-18-18, 08:17 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Smart enough to know better, too dumb to stop. Rode myself into full heat exhaustion once, ended up bed-ridden for two days. Didn't eat enough, didn't drink enough, didn't have the conditioning. Elevated temperature, HR wouldn't drop below the 150s. Rode the last 14 miles light-headed. As soon as I swung my leg off the bike, I almost blacked out.

So if you feel like you can't go any farther, don't.

But cold can't stop me. It hasn't yet.
Old 12-18-18, 11:20 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Smart enough to know better, too dumb to stop. Rode myself into full heat exhaustion once, ended up bed-ridden for two days. Didn't eat enough, didn't drink enough, didn't have the conditioning. Elevated temperature, HR wouldn't drop below the 150s. Rode the last 14 miles light-headed. As soon as I swung my leg off the bike, I almost blacked out.

So if you feel like you can't go any farther, don't.

But cold can't stop me. It hasn't yet.

Old 12-19-18, 03:23 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
DNF'd a few times. Twice because of heat exhaustion, and another one because I slept through my alarm, took a wrong turn, and then missed the cutoff 170 miles into a 400k because of (can you guess?) heat exhaustion.

Maybe I'm learning. I cut short a century and only did 90 miles this fall. While seeing how much I could eat at the post-ride meal, I enjoyed listening to people being picked up on the radio (they were falling like flies out there!), but I consoled myself by riding the next day -- I could do that because I cut the ride short instead of almost killing myself.
Old 12-19-18, 05:00 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
DNF'd a few times. Twice because of heat exhaustion, and another one because I slept through my alarm, took a wrong turn, and then missed the cutoff 170 miles into a 400k because of (can you guess?) heat exhaustion.
Wow, yeah you don't want to make mistakes like that on a big ride.

I remember on a ride called Ride Around the Bear, 100 miles, 10,000 ft gain timed event. I got up passed Big Bear heading for the final 7 mile climb to Onyx Summit. Something in the route sheet was confusing to me. I saw a road that headed up. I wasn't sure so I asked a couple of teens if that was the way to Onyx Summit. They said yes so I headed up. Luckily I only went up about 1/4 then thought something didn't feel right. Went back down then saw some riders heading in the right direction. Luckily I got back on track.

Little freaks could have cost me the ride. I think they were just messing with me, little freaks!
Old 12-26-18, 07:31 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Heat exhaustion got me once, ended up bed ridden for 3 days and almost hospitalized after that one. Only details I have from that situation is that it was my first 30 mile ride. I was just starting out and didn't know the route too well, it was over 100 degrees with high humidity and an overall 3500' elevation gain. I didn't realize it at the time but I actually made it to the 25 mile mark, bailed at the last 5miles I couldn't believe it. I swore to myself that wouldn't happen again, haven't gone out without 2 bottles of water and a salty/sweet granola bar since. I've done that route maybe 200 times since.

Another was a series of flats. Must have had a dozen of them, 3 pinches from rushing to get back on the road. Went through 2 patch kits and a new tube, before calling for a ride. Think that was on my 3rd metric century...Returned home, threw a new tube on and rode 30 on top of the 30 I completed on the metric so although it wasn't the same ride I don't count it as a DNF since I actually did ride 60+ miles that day.
Old 12-26-18, 09:10 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeRides
I've done that route maybe 200 times since.
That's great! I read and have had buds tell me of a failed ride. Also anywhere from 30-100 miles. Then the next thing out of their mouths is, "I'll try it again next year!".

WTH! What's wrong with next week?
Old 12-27-18, 11:30 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I would have (probably) if I wasn't hallucinating. Or at least I think I was. I had just gotten off the couch that prior Winter and since I could do 1 mile total I figured it would be a good idea to set a goal of a Century the following Fall. This strategy worked as it got me out the door whenever I could. However, "whenever I could" wasn't enough. Around mile 60 I knew I was going to have trouble. Around mile 75 I started to see strange things. I envisioned my bike breaking in half. I was probably thinking that as that would give me a 100% excuse to call my wife to come and get me. I'm too stupid to allow anything else to end my suffering. I stopped at a store and got a Coke, ate a candy bar, etc. By the time I got to Cincinnati it was stop and go because of the route and that gave my body little breaks, just enough to catch up until I would begin again. Barely.

We ended up getting to our hotel and over to this large German restaurant. I barely tasted to food and the beer wasn't refreshing at all.

I've got another scheduled for the fall of 2019.
Old 12-29-18, 10:30 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first century ended 76 miles in when my body decided one more 12% hill was too much, and rewarded me with lightheadedness and nausea.

I'd missed the turnoff for the second of four rest stops and ridden 38 miles on 40 ounces of water (which would have been FINE if it had been, say, 62F out that day instead of 95F, but seeing that it was the latter, this may not have been the best thing for me.)

Fellow rider convinced me to stop, told me stories a lot like the ones above, and showed me scars from the crash that followed one of them. Tried not to feel too ashamed in the back of the SAG wagon, and resolved to always put the exact route in my Garmin going forward.

Haven't had a DNF since!
Old 12-29-18, 10:45 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I would have (probably) if I wasn't hallucinating. Or at least I think I was. I had just gotten off the couch that prior Winter and since I could do 1 mile total I figured it would be a good idea to set a goal of a Century the following Fall. This strategy worked as it got me out the door whenever I could. However, "whenever I could" wasn't enough. Around mile 60 I knew I was going to have trouble. Around mile 75 I started to see strange things. I envisioned my bike breaking in half. I was probably thinking that as that would give me a 100% excuse to call my wife to come and get me. I'm too stupid to allow anything else to end my suffering. I stopped at a store and got a Coke, ate a candy bar, etc. By the time I got to Cincinnati it was stop and go because of the route and that gave my body little breaks, just enough to catch up until I would begin again. Barely.

We ended up getting to our hotel and over to this large German restaurant. I barely tasted to food and the beer wasn't refreshing at all.

I've got another scheduled for the fall of 2019.
There is/was a ride I considered doing back in 2005 called Furnace Creek 508. But the cost was outrageous so I passed. I think some long distance riders can do what they do because they have the money and time.

But I read stories where dudes were hallucinating about animals at night chasing them. Quite entertaining. Never been to that point myself, and hope to never!
Old 12-29-18, 10:47 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Masque
My first century ended 76 miles in when my body decided one more 12% hill was too much, and rewarded me with lightheadedness and nausea.

I'd missed the turnoff for the second of four rest stops and ridden 38 miles on 40 ounces of water (which would have been FINE if it had been, say, 62F out that day instead of 95F, but seeing that it was the latter, this may not have been the best thing for me.)

Fellow rider convinced me to stop, told me stories a lot like the ones above, and showed me scars from the crash that followed one of them. Tried not to feel too ashamed in the back of the SAG wagon, and resolved to always put the exact route in my Garmin going forward.

Haven't had a DNF since!
Yeah, the water shortage is not a good idea!

Funny when I think about the Garmin. First several centuries (starting in 1996) were printed routed sheets. Man, I am getting old!