Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Why the Aerospoke hatred?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why the Aerospoke hatred?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 01:54 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yo spoonie, quit bitin' my style.
Old 08-15-08, 02:03 PM
spoonielov
Rack Em Rack

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andre nickatina
yo spoonie, quit bitin' my style.
the only reason I got that is cuz my name is actually dre haha. And Im fan of dre dog too. I love that song. No hate man.
Old 08-15-08, 02:56 PM
bakaster

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, homegrown fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JYPC
Wrong.

I have had Spinergy wheels, Aerospoke wheels, 36 hole spoke wheels, 32 hole spoke wheels, disc wheels, etc. and never once did any of them explode from hitting a pothole at an above moderate speed. I rode the Spinergy Rev X wheels (front and back) for 6 months and put over 1000 miles on them, still as solid and true as when I received them used with well over 5000 miles on them.

I'm not buying into the hype of exploding wheels, tragic losses and catastrophic failure.

People need to just chill out and not worry about what other people do and just ride their bicycles.

Ride the wheels for aesthetics, pleasure, weight, who the **** cares.

Whether or not you buy into it is one thing, but there is a documented history of failure with the Spinergy wheels.

Additionally, if you are going faster than a certain speed, it is actually less likely that there will be something wrong with just a pot hole as your wheel has less time to descend into the hole and impact the other side. you can take this to the extreme (albeit physically impossible), but at a certain point, you will be going fast enough that you will not even feel a bump.

Don't take me the wrong way, i am not against CF wheels, in fact if i had hundreds of dollars to spare, (and enough to cover a new set if something did happen) i might get some too. i am just saying that just because you were going fast, and nothing happened, does not mean everything people are saying about safety is wrong.

as for who cares what people ride, i agree. i am all for letting people ride whatever they want be it for fashion, for safety, or a downright death trap. The people that are so against it are mostly afraid that:
1) if/when something happens to a skilled/unskilled rider that is on a fixed gear or single speed bike, "upstanding citizens" who like to outlaw fun will move against the entirety of the sport that we all enjoy, and
2) that some of the people that are seen with bikes purely for fashion are ***holes (some of the people with "sensible" bikes are ***holes too, i know this for a fact) and due to their higher profile bikes, the impression they make on people outside of the fixed/singlespeed world is far more than someone with a fairly unremarkable bike.

believe me, i have seen this argument for years applied to various things like components for motorcycles, or even motorcycles as a whole.

sorry for the rant, the whole argument is somewhat silly, and it seems that every single sport i like has a different version of the same dang thing

Last edited by bakaster; 08-15-08 at 03:02 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-15-08, 05:05 PM
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real

Bikes: Hummer H2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOAH what is the meaning of this?
Old 08-15-08, 07:51 PM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by louderthangod
I notice a lot of people making fun of those with Aerospokes...it never seems to be any sort of criticism about their performance or build quality.....so why the hatred?
Their performance, build quality and look are plenty enough reason to make fun of them
Old 08-15-08, 08:17 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride
Willis (cadence willis) can eat a donkey dick, I wish he would have fallen and broken his neck when that thing broke.
seriously not cool
Old 08-15-08, 08:22 PM
bakaster

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, homegrown fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
definitely unnecessary.
Old 08-15-08, 08:29 PM
deathhare
:jarckass:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Willis (cadence willis) can eat a donkey dick, I wish he would have fallen and broken his neck when that thing broke.
There must be some background on this.
Please fill us in.
Old 08-15-08, 08:55 PM
anthegreat1
Custom User Title

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes please, I've got pop corn in the microwave
Old 08-15-08, 08:58 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyeswho
seriously not cool
Originally Posted by bakaster
definitely unnecessary.
Originally Posted by deathhare
There must be some background on this.
Please fill us in.
https://www.qwantz.com/fanart/DinoCom...netSerious.png
Old 08-16-08, 10:20 AM
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real

Bikes: Hummer H2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sooo...

what happened?
Old 08-16-08, 10:34 AM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to delete that post so I don't have the Cadence mafia on me. Anyone who wants to know can PM me.
Old 08-17-08, 12:00 AM
salty road

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger 64cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahhahahaha
Old 08-17-08, 05:26 PM
dddave

Bikes: 2012 redline conquest pro / 2008 yeti 575 / motobecan fantom cross uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to delete that post so I don't have the Cadence mafia on me. Anyone who wants to know can PM me.
too late!
Old 08-17-08, 05:41 PM
do while x
1+1=10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil wayne
if you aint go'n ride fly, then you might as well hate
__
Old 08-17-08, 07:27 PM
loaf

Bikes: Iro Mark V Fix and a 24" Nirve bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon can't hang with the streets.

Truth be told, I always think less of a person riding carbon wheels on the street much like people on segways. Flags go up, ya know? Nothing wrong with riding them in the proper environment, but on the street is just asking to loose teeth purely for the wheel choice. I wouldn't keep em if you paid me to. I would sell them though and laugh my way to the bank. Oh, and eff velocities too. Open pro's is where it's at.
Old 08-17-08, 07:40 PM
loaf

Bikes: Iro Mark V Fix and a 24" Nirve bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And if you want to train, put some bricks in your bag, it's way cheaper and is way more badazz.
Old 11-15-08, 11:55 AM
Hammerchop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eltwitcho
alot of people bash arospokes because they want everyone to know how untrendy they as fixed gear riders are. It's just a camoflaged version of hipster bashing, and it's dorky as all hell.
+1
Old 11-15-08, 12:07 PM
devilshaircut

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride an Aerospoke mostly because it looks good. I have it painted to match my saddle and handlebars, etc. I could do the same with a deep v rim, but they already had this pre-painted at my LBS and I like to support them.

Anyhow, I think the pros and cons are:

Con - Heavy/slow.
Pro - Durable (not sure why people are saying otherwise).
Con - People hate on you for having one.
Pro - Quiet (not sure why people are saying they are noisy).
Con - Expensive.
Pro - Looks good.
Old 11-15-08, 01:34 PM
xg43x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just dont like the appearance of them. Plus for me, the owners come across as lazy because they dont know how to maintain spoked wheels. Not always the case, but for the newbies, yes.
Old 11-15-08, 03:38 PM
louderthangod

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Broakland Pipe Bomb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm too old to give a **** what some kid on a forum things about my wheels, frame, clothes, favorite band or anything else. I like my Aerospokes. They ride well...I don't find them slow at all despite a little extra weight but people talk about them like they're lead weights. I also have no problem saying that I think they look cool but if they were impractical to ride then I wouldn't use them at all:
Old 11-15-08, 03:56 PM
Jabba Degrassi
FNG

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't find them slow at all despite a little extra weight but people talk about them like they're lead weights
According to the Aerospoke website those wheels weigh in at 1242 grams for the wheel + 224 grams for the rear track hub, for 1466 grams total.

Open Pro laced to a Surly rear track hub with DT Swiss spokes, a rather modest build, I might add, weigh in at a whopping 697.7 grams according to prowheelbuilder.

A difference of 768.3 grams, probably close to double that for front and rear, we're just over 1.5 kg in what is arguably the place one is most likely to feel extra weight with no aerodynamic benefits, no added durability, you can't true them, and they cost twice as much.

But yeah, I guess they look cool.
Old 11-15-08, 04:03 PM
iamthenoise
onitsuka tiger

Bikes: 60's mercian track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xg43x
I just dont like the appearance of them. Plus for me, the owners come across as lazy because they dont know how to maintain spoked wheels. Not always the case, but for the newbies, yes.

90% of everyone here has spoked wheels and don't know how to maintain spoked wheels. aerospokes are for looks. period. anyone here saying they bought 'em for performance should be posting in the track forum.

stylistically, they're cool. i think they look great. they're an expensive pair of nike dunks. no one is going around saying why the hell did you pay 200$ for those shoes, when you can play ball in a cheap pair of adidas, so i dont even get what argument is left.

aerospokes are an aesthetic choice. aesthetics are subjective. trends are social, take part or dont.
Old 11-15-08, 04:07 PM
louderthangod

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Broakland Pipe Bomb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jabba Degrassi
According to the Aerospoke website those wheels weigh in at 1242 grams for the wheel + 224 grams for the rear track hub, for 1466 grams total.

Open Pro laced to a Surly rear track hub with DT Swiss spokes, a rather modest build, I might add, weigh in at a whopping 697.7 grams according to prowheelbuilder.

A difference of 768.3 grams, probably close to double that for front and rear, we're just over 1.5 kg in what is arguably the place one is most likely to feel extra weight with no aerodynamic benefits, no added durability, you can't true them, and they cost twice as much.

But yeah, I guess they look cool.
I ride naked to make up for it. If I was a professional racer then I'd care about an estimated 1.5kg. But seriously I weigh 250 and $700 for a pair of wheel isn't going to break my bank...my CXP-33's with Phils and DT Swiss cost about the same. Actually the Aerospokes roll a lot smoother than any other wheels I've tried but then again I've gone and ****ed up the internet by actually trying something...my bad.

Last edited by louderthangod; 11-15-08 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-15-08, 04:21 PM
Jabba Degrassi
FNG

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride naked to make up for it. If I was a professional racer then I'd care about an estimated 1.5kg. But seriously I weigh 250 and $700 for a pair of wheel isn't going to break my bank...my CXP-33's with Phils and DT Swiss cost about the same. Actually the Aerospokes roll a lot smoother than any other wheels I've tried but then again I've gone and ****ed up the internet by actually trying something...my bad.
Imagine that, your wheels with $200 hubs cost about the same as your Aerospokes. Difference is PWs are actually worth a damn.

Can't say anything about them "rolling smoother" since that's completely subjective and utterly ambiguous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.