Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Brake-less fixed gear in the snow?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Brake-less fixed gear in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 12:41 PM
loaf

Bikes: Iro Mark V Fix and a 24" Nirve bmx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires make more of a difference in snow than brakes. Rode my work bike all year long, no brakes/breaks. couldn't fit anything bigger than a 25 tire in the front, but I managed to stuff a knobby cross tire on the back and that was great in blizzards. You can rely on your back wheel (a bit at least) it makes all the difference and used the front wheel as sort of a ski. Front and rear knobbys might be ideal, but fixed with just a knobby rear is still a good time.

heh, knobby rear.
Old 11-05-09, 12:42 PM
Moximitre
dig dig dig

Bikes: Full Fendered Bareknuckle, Faggin with 10spd Centaur, 1973 Raleigh 3spd Cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my fixed brakeless regardless of weather, and have never had a problem with stopping/crashing. The only time I've crashed in the winter was over a metal grated bridge, and it would've happened whether running no brakes or 15 brakes.
Old 11-05-09, 01:53 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Aged Bike Fixer
If we get snow here in DC, my commute will likely be on my mtn bike--or I'll be hoofin' it the 2 miles to work if it's too deep.
What is that? What is "too deep"? I've ridden in 3 feet of the white stuff on the snow covered pavement with no problems other than finding 187 sticker burrs in my tires after wards. Yes. I did count them!

I went with the no-mor-flats tubes for a couple flat free years after that.
Old 11-05-09, 03:33 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I run studded tires + front brake. Would never run brakeless in the winter. Even before I ran studs, there were many, many times when the front brake saved my arse. Granted I live in a very hilly area, but being able to stop when you need to is kind of a no-brainer for me. For those claiming you will crash if you run a front brake, you are fooling yourself, or horrible riders.
Originally Posted by elTwitcho
Or maybe it's because you're running a studded front and most people aren't
I think of it like driving a car with only the parking brake... it really limits you in slick terrain.
Old 11-05-09, 03:45 PM
ShaneRidesBikes

Bikes: Dawes SST <3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dayvan cowboy
with racism to boot

Last year, if it would snow at night while i was still awake and not many cars had gone by i'd go and just do skids for like 10 feet and just **** around(i have a brake i just didn't use it then). Its fun, but i wouldn't do it on main streets in traffic.
10 feet is a pretty short distance for skids...especially in snow.
Old 11-05-09, 04:46 PM
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moximitre
I ride my fixed brakeless regardless of weather, and have never had a problem with stopping/crashing. The only time I've crashed in the winter was over a metal grated bridge, and it would've happened whether running no brakes or 15 brakes.
Been there and done that. Busted my **** on Division a couple times. Had a friend shatter an ankle on one too, though I don't remember which one it was. I think it was Randolph, but I'm not sure.

That said, fixed in the snow is great because of the direct feedback from the back wheel about how much traction I'm getting. As for braking, I haven't had a brake to compare but I ride within my ability to control myself and stop so I've never had a problem. Going slow in the snow is fun. Don't get too much of that out here, but once in a while. I remember one year back home we got like 18" overnight and we rode from my place (Kimball & Montrose) down to Harold's Chicken on S. Halsted. That was sooooo fun. I think we bounced of the sides of 4 or 5 parked cars while trying to do donut skids.
Old 11-05-09, 05:30 PM
cardboardhut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would vote yes for brakes in the winter for one major reason: more potholes, ice patches and other such crap on the roads. Winding between cars leads to a major chance of being surprised by a massive hole in the road and not being able to stop in time.

Also here in Toronto, at least, giant mounds of ice sometimes grow at the side of the road, which plows just skip over. These mounds are usually grimy dark and sneak up on you. Last year there was a nasty one at the very bottom of the Yonge St hill, coming down from St Clair. Anyone who lives in Toronto will know the high wipe-out possibility of such placement.