Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What's the widest tire that I can put on Weinmann TR18 Double Wall's

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-09-15, 07:43 PM
redapemusic
RedApeMusic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I've been a member of bike forums for a long time now. However, other than the introduction, this is my first post. I currently own a 2013 Raleigh Clubman. I love the bike and up until now I have been using it to commute to work and school in Seattle. However, I have just moved to Stillwater Oklahoma to continue my schooling and as you might imagine, the terrain is very different.

Not only are there no manicured bike paths, but my wife and I thought that it would be great for our daughter to live on the outskirts of town. Now, instead of paved bike trails and such, we have one paved two lane road nearby that leads into town and a huge network of dirt and gravel roads. We live about 6 miles from school, so nothing too difficult and therefore I still plan on commuting by bike.

However, I realize that I need to replace my tires, and hopefully nothing else as I am not made of money. Initially I did consider trading the clubman in for a mountain bike, but I don't want to loose money, so I thought that I would just upgrade the tires and if I have to, then the rims as well.

What is the largest tire size that I can put on the Weinmann rims and will it be adequate for the terrain even in winter? Thank you so much for your reply.
Old 07-09-15, 10:35 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Nice looking bike. I think the frame width will be more of a determining factor than the wheel width. Also if your bike has factory fenders, clearance may be an issue. From the quick search I did, it looks like it came with 23mm tires. My roadie had 700x23 when I got it. I switched over to 700x32 on the same rims, the only issue was frame clearance as there are no fenders. But even the switch from 23 to 32 made a difference on dirt and gravel. It's not as secure on dirt and gravel as my MTB based commuter with 26x1.75 street tires, but it's better than the 23s. As far as winter riding, that is a whole 'nother can of (frozen) worms.
Old 07-09-15, 10:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
The inner width of those rims is 13.6mm, so I probably wouldn't go beyond 28mm myself: Weinmann Metal Products Co., LTD

It's not set in stone, though.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-10-15, 02:25 PM
redapemusic
RedApeMusic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Nice looking bike. I think the frame width will be more of a determining factor than the wheel width. Also if your bike has factory fenders, clearance may be an issue. From the quick search I did, it looks like it came with 23mm tires. My roadie had 700x23 when I got it. I switched over to 700x32 on the same rims, the only issue was frame clearance as there are no fenders. But even the switch from 23 to 32 made a difference on dirt and gravel. It's not as secure on dirt and gravel as my MTB based commuter with 26x1.75 street tires, but it's better than the 23s. As far as winter riding, that is a whole 'nother can of (frozen) worms.
My LBS said that nothing under 35mm makes any real difference in traction. He suggested 28mm armadillos. But to me, I think that I would like more traction. I do like the Kenda small block 8s. Also, I could part with the fenders and replace the front fender with one that attaches to the downtube. If I did that, I might be able to put 32's on the bike.
Old 07-10-15, 04:52 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I had a Clubman, a 2010 in I remember correctly. It came with 25mm tires, would fit 28s with fenders, and 32s without fenders. Any larger than that and you had interference from the brake bridge.
Old 07-10-15, 04:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
some Old non hook bead rims are not for the adventurous , then it better be a tire that's hard to Put On.

but that was the Swiss German brand .. same name not same company.

Another one sold to Asia , site say founded in Hong Kong 1996, not the same company at all ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-10-15 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 10:03 PM
redapemusic
RedApeMusic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I will go with 32's. Now I am trying to decide between the kendo's, Continental Tour Plus, Vitor..something randoneer..something and soma new express. I think that I like the soma's, but the reviews that I saw were really mixed.
Old 07-13-15, 07:39 AM
cat

Bikes: 2012 Schwinn Slicker, 2011 Trek Sawyer, 2014 Kona Unit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can fit them, how about some 32mm cyclocross tires? My friend has some Richey Speedmax tires on his cross check that he uses for commuting and is really happy with them.
Ritchey Speedmax Cross 700C Tire > Components > Wheels, Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA
Old 07-19-15, 04:06 AM
redapemusic
RedApeMusic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It definitely looks like they have lots of traction. I'm going to read the reviews and see what they say for my type of commute.
Old 07-19-15, 10:26 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
With a narrow rim like that you're in kind of a tough position. The real issue is the minimum pressure before the tire starts to wallow and be unstable cornering and braking. So while you might be able to make a 32mm tire fit, you'll be running the same pressure as you would with a 25mm tire, which negates many of the benefits.