Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Chrome Shoes...anybody wearing them?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 01:41 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi all,

I am in the market for new shoes. To date, some of the best shoes I have worn while cycling have been canvas Sperry Stripers (Men's | Sperry Striper CVO - Chino Salt Washed - FREE SHIPPING at Shoes.com)

I would buy them again in a heartbeat, as the sole was sufficiently stiff and I like the general aesthetics. However, it only took about a year before I wore a hole in the canvas uppers and also walked a hole in the sole (not biking related, as it was in the heel). I replaced them with a pair of Polo branded shoes that are the same style and were at TJ Max for like twenty bucks. Worst shoes I have ever used on a bike. The soles and tread were horrible after about a week of walking around in them and they feel very slippery on a pedal.

Anyways, I started looking around online and saw that Chrome makes shoes. I know at least a few of you like their bags and apparel. Im looking at either these (Forged Rubber Mirko | Footwear | Chrome Industries) or these (Truk Grey White Urban Bike Sneaker | Bike Sneaker | Chrome Industries). I have clipless pedals and shoes for when I ride my main commuting bike from home, but use different bikes when riding around the city/multimodal commuting that just have platform pedals - so no need for suggestions to try clipless.

Has anyone tried Chrome's shoes? If so, what do you think of them comfort wise (I know this is subjective) and fit wise (were they cut small, big or does the shoe size match what it should)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-06-15, 01:48 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Hi all,

I am in the market for new shoes. To date, some of the best shoes I have worn while cycling have been canvas Sperry Stripers (Men's | Sperry Striper CVO - Chino Salt Washed - FREE SHIPPING at Shoes.com)

I would buy them again in a heartbeat, as the sole was sufficiently stiff and I like the general aesthetics. However, it only took about a year before I wore a hole in the canvas uppers and also walked a hole in the sole (not biking related, as it was in the heel). I replaced them with a pair of Polo branded shoes that are the same style and were at TJ Max for like twenty bucks. Worst shoes I have ever used on a bike. The soles and tread were horrible after about a week of walking around in them and they feel very slippery on a pedal.

Anyways, I started looking around online and saw that Chrome makes shoes. I know at least a few of you like their bags and apparel. Im looking at either these (Forged Rubber Mirko | Footwear | Chrome Industries) or these (Truk Grey White Urban Bike Sneaker | Bike Sneaker | Chrome Industries). I have clipless pedals and shoes for when I ride my main commuting bike from home, but use different bikes when riding around the city/multimodal commuting that just have platform pedals - so no need for suggestions to try clipless.

Has anyone tried Chrome's shoes? If so, what do you think of them comfort wise (I know this is subjective) and fit wise (were they cut small, big or does the shoe size match what it should)?

Thanks in advance!

I've had a pair of Chrome Kursk Pros for 4 years. They are great commuter shoes, I wore them daily for a year or two. I wore them at work and on the bike (later years I got office shoes). They are breaking down after a lot of miles, I no longer use them for clipless pedals - the soles are breaking at the mounting point. But I still wear them with my platform pedals.

One con - These are heavy shoes!

I will buy a replacement pair in the next few months and retire these.
Old 08-06-15, 01:48 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
I have a pair of non clipless truks, that I'm satisfied with overall, but one is showing signs of minor separation of the sole at the heel. The sole and uppers are standing up well to pins, bear traps, and toe clips. Light Gary wasn't a wise choice for commuting shoes.
Old 08-06-15, 02:05 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks! I can do minor separation - plenty of cobblers in town who could fix that if it happened. The idea would be to just wear them all day (no need for dressy shoes at my office). Gray goes with a lot of thigns I wear, but so does khaki. Encouraging to hear good things
Old 08-06-15, 02:05 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Also, post 997
Old 08-06-15, 02:06 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Post 998...getting so close!
Old 08-06-15, 02:06 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Post 999...waiting for 30 seconds to elapse....
Old 08-06-15, 02:07 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
And made it to post #1000 ! I feel...accomplished, or something.
Old 08-06-15, 02:28 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Thanks! I can do minor separation - plenty of cobblers in town who could fix that if it happened. The idea would be to just wear them all day (no need for dressy shoes at my office). Gray goes with a lot of thigns I wear, but so does khaki. Encouraging to hear good things

That was a reminder, I did need to do some gluing with mine, back in the day. After some minor/superficial home repair, they held up great.
Old 08-07-15, 07:44 AM
cat

Bikes: 2012 Schwinn Slicker, 2011 Trek Sawyer, 2014 Kona Unit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not used Chrome shoes before, so I'm just throwing this out there. I do like 5 10 Dirtbags. They are a similar style and have a great non-slip sole. Dirtbag
Old 08-07-15, 08:56 AM
bowser29

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I wear Chrome shoes but not the model that you were considering. They are very comfortable and I wear them both for bike commuting and at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chromeshoes.jpg (96.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-07-15, 09:55 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 2,537 Posts
Chrome looks interesting, I'm also in the market for shoes right now, but I've got very wide feet, and it doesn't look like they do wide sizes. Also, my feet typically get very hot, I'd want something with a lot of mesh involved -- or are these cooler than they look?
Old 08-07-15, 10:26 AM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have that exact forged rubber Mirko in khaki that you linked to above. I find them super comfortable and I bought the same size as I wear in Vans shoes. They are a little wider/roomier in the front than Vans.
Old 08-07-15, 10:55 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm wearing a men's 6 chrome kursks and they are terrific (i'm a women's 7.5 typically). i'm just sad i didn't get them sooner or know about them. they are really responsive cycling shoes that dish out power like no tomorrow. i'm seriously amazed.

if you're using runners, stop immediately and get chrome's. that's how much i believe in these shoes.

my colleague also wears chromes with recessed MTB clipless and rides to work and back in them. he also swears by them. if i were to go clipless i would go with recessed. mine are just for platform pedals.
Old 08-14-15, 11:38 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
I have almost 1k miles on black non-clipless Truks that I use with old-school pedals and clips. They are true to size, comfortable and walkable while providing enough stiffness for comfort on my old Lyotards. 10 outta 10, would buy again.
Old 08-14-15, 02:46 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
No chromes, but I'm now riding 5.10s. They have the advantage of being born from the climbing world, so they've learned over the decades to make durable shoes.
Old 08-14-15, 03:09 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After 25 years of wearing some Shimano clipless pedals, I noticed that the heals were coming loose. I guess I could have trashed em and bought some new ones. But then I realized that three minutes with my hot glue gun would solve this problem.
Old 08-14-15, 09:09 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I have a pair of the SPD mids which are no longer available I guess. They are comfortable and have held up well to torrential downpours.
Old 08-15-15, 07:32 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Darn, I thought the post was about really shiny shoes.
Old 08-15-15, 08:34 AM
JOHNinIL

Bikes: 70's Raleigh, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 2007 Giant Boulder SE, no longer have 1969 Schwinn Varsity, 1997 Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a pair of Mirko's and love them. They replaced a four year-old pair of Van's which were just disappointing. The Mirko's are great for riding and walking around, very comfortable. The shoes seem solidly built and tough. I took a spill the other day and barely a skuff to the shoes.
Old 10-07-15, 09:43 AM
ciderguy

Bikes: GT Traffic 2.0 w/ Blackburn Rack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I have a pair of the SPD mids which are no longer available I guess. They are comfortable and have held up well to torrential downpours.
This is great to hear! I'm currently in the market for shoes and I'm worried about how they will hold up in the rain. My feet sweat more than the average person, and I ride every day. Gives me confidence in Chrome. I've been looking at DZR because they are a similar style and available at the LBS. However, people seem to really love their Chrome shoes.
Old 10-07-15, 09:52 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ciderguy
This is great to hear! I'm currently in the market for shoes and I'm worried about how they will hold up in the rain. My feet sweat more than the average person, and I ride every day. Gives me confidence in Chrome. I've been looking at DZR because they are a similar style and available at the LBS. However, people seem to really love their Chrome shoes.
I believe that DZR is owned by the same guy or guys that started Chrome. You may want to investigate further. Chrome was sold off and DZR was started if I remember correctly.
Old 10-07-15, 10:44 AM
ciderguy

Bikes: GT Traffic 2.0 w/ Blackburn Rack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I believe that DZR is owned by the same guy or guys that started Chrome. You may want to investigate further. Chrome was sold off and DZR was started if I remember correctly.
Thanks! I'll look into it.
Old 10-08-15, 08:39 AM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I forgot I had this thread. I got the Truks and really like them! They fit me and my bike pedals very well - and with size 13 shoes not all of them fit on a pedal very well.
Old 10-08-15, 11:24 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm waiting for the next sale on Chrome Storm shoes, after the drenching I got last week. No preference between Storm Truk, Storm Kursk, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.