Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixed...The Pinnacle of Bicycle Design??

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 10:01 PM
thebristolkid
on a steel horse I ride

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Rush Hour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a graduate design student, and I work in the design community, so I spend a lot of time thinking about design. I started riding a fixed gear about 4 months ago, so naturally I've gotten to thinking about bicycle design. I was talking to my friend at work the other day - the friend who got me off my pink GT BMX and onto a fixed gear - about the design of the bicycle. We live in a society where the design of consumer products continually evolves - half-inch-thick laptops, multi-function cellular telephones, cars that park themselves, etc - but the bike, like the spoon or the scissors or the pencil, seems to stay the same.

Bicycle history is littered with the unsuccessful attempts of companies trying to make radical changes to the drivetrain or the geometry of the bicycle, and there will always be new add-ons and new frame materials...hell, half the roadies I see look capable of launching the nukes with all the componentry they have strapped to their aircraft-grade-adamantium-framed road missiles, and I'm sure they'd all trade in their carbon for a seatpost made of compressed Grape Nuts if some magazine told them it was lighter and absorbed more shock. But eventually, it all comes back to the basics: 2 wheels, a chain connecting 2 gears, and a frame made of 2 triangles.

Since we ride the most elegant and efficient of all bicycle permutations, this seems like a reasonable venue for this question. Has the bicycle been perfected?
Old 04-29-07, 10:04 PM
doofo
thomas masini lives

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
im going with no on this one
Old 04-29-07, 10:09 PM
br995

Bikes: Makino (have the parts; not yet built), EAI Barekuckle, Unknown Japanese fixed conversion, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman road bike (frame), Secret project bike, 2007 Trek Madone 5.2, Cannondale Caad3 mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a feeling that 'perfect' may be subjective when it comes to bikes....
Old 04-29-07, 10:12 PM
TheDean

Bikes: Mino Denti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
much much lighter and stronger materials are on the way and just look at how frames have changed in 30 years.
Old 04-29-07, 10:20 PM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perfect for what???? What are you talking about exactly?
Old 04-29-07, 10:27 PM
doofo
thomas masini lives

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hes saying that bikes are so perfect

that their technological advance is not driven by the same forces as other products

except road bikes

which dont count

cause roadies suck
Old 04-29-07, 10:35 PM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The recumbant bicycle was a pretty successful innovation
Old 04-29-07, 10:39 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah, we need some parameters and context to give any real answers.

i'd go with a hell no.
Old 04-29-07, 10:42 PM
enigmagic
Zweckentfremdung

Bikes: Soma Rush, Surly LHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do all design students masturbate about the evolution of products in public? Or are we just lucky?

What a weird post.
Old 04-29-07, 10:43 PM
Igneous Faction

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a way, yes. I see what you're saying. A high-end scorcher from the turn of the century isn't all that different from the bike I ride on a daily basis. Certainly not in comparison to something like a car from the turn of the century to a 2007 car. Or aircraft.

EDIT modification: I just noticed that you said perfected in the original post. I can't agree with that. For one thing, I don't think there exists an endpoint to progression in terms of technology AND things continue to get better.

The things you pictured are unsuccesful innovations. What about the succesful ones? The derailleur? Indexed shifting? dual-pivot brake calipers? aluminum? carbon-fiber? etc...

Last edited by Igneous Faction; 04-29-07 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-29-07, 10:49 PM
thebristolkid
on a steel horse I ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Igneous Faction
In a way, yes. I see what you're saying. A high-end scorcher from the turn of the century isn't all that different from the bike I ride on a daily basis. Certainly not in comparison to something like a car from the turn of the century to a 2007 car. Or aircraft.
That is exactly what I'm saying. When you take away material advances, there's not much difference between this and this.
Old 04-29-07, 10:49 PM
Pfutz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, and the concept of attaining perfection is stupid.

I love my fixed gear as much as the next guy but it would explode if I took it within 40 feet of the north shore to do some freeride.
Old 04-29-07, 10:52 PM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Basically what pfutz said. Horses for courses. My fg is perfect for making me happy while getting me around the city and sub optimal for all kinds of other things. There are good reasons why no one rides fixed in the TDF, on bmx street courses, etc etc etc.
Old 04-29-07, 10:55 PM
Pfutz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so boggled by this thread. I feel more lame after reading it.

its like a bunch of british lords sitting in a study drinking fine wine asking "yes good sirs, are we not the greatest spectacle of man to have ever walked this earth?"
Old 04-29-07, 10:59 PM
thebristolkid
on a steel horse I ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I should rename the thread, because it's a bit misleading. I was talking more about general bicycle design, of which fixed gear is the most basic. Today, a bicycle, whether it's a FG or a BMX or whatever, is 2 wheels, a chain with gears, and a frame made of triangles. 100 years ago, a bicycle was 2 wheels, a chain with gears, and a frame made of triangles. Why is that? That's my question.
Old 04-29-07, 11:01 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I remember correctly, Steve Jobs of Apple said that modern pants have been designed to perfection.

Much like pants, design progression for highly body-proportioned products come with material, fashions, and specificity.

By design do you mean ID? I'm doing product design here at CIA.
Old 04-29-07, 11:03 PM
doofo
thomas masini lives

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maybe because they have not experienced any selective pressure
Old 04-29-07, 11:30 PM
you

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur '89

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like this argument can be applied to anything.
Old 04-29-07, 11:40 PM
garagegirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, this is much closer

https://www.sevencycles.com/road_deta...?bike=axiom_sg

Last edited by garagegirl; 05-01-07 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-30-07, 07:55 AM
roadgator
raodmaster shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im really tired of hearing this fixed is most efficient BS. a free wheel prevents any chance of your legs re-absorbing the work they just put to the pavement.

most minimalist, perhaps. but in terms of function, no way.

but the 2 triangle design is most common because its the best truss structure. its engineering, not aesthetic. now its a UCI rule on all race frames so the high end inst venturing away from it even if they wanted to.
Old 04-30-07, 08:05 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
While the term "perfected" is turning people off, and probably rightfully so, the OP's real question is, are we reaching a limit where minor innovations, or new materials, may continue, but the basic design is increasingly stable over time? It's a good and valid question.

Of course, asking this question in a fixie forum seems like asking for a biased sample, although responses thus far don't seem to yay-fixies, except for the 'cuz-roadies-suck post, a fine example of message-board logic.

I think, in the end, that the OP's design question is unintentionally set up to favor fixies. Fixed-gear bicycles are exceedingly simple - that's the nature or definition of their design. As such, they have much less space in which to change or improve. So they appear to be a pinnacle (or a little-changing design) simply because they are defined into a corner. A good corner, I would argue, but a corner nonetheless where the OP's question is concerned.
Old 04-30-07, 08:10 AM
dijos
Walks with a limp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadgator
im really tired of hearing this fixed is most efficient BS. a free wheel prevents any chance of your legs re-absorbing the work they just put to the pavement.

most minimalist, perhaps. but in terms of function, no way.

but the 2 triangle design is most common because its the best truss structure. its engineering, not aesthetic. now its a UCI rule on all race frames so the high end inst venturing away from it even if they wanted to.

UCI rules have killed a few different designs. The little movie ad in the upper right hand corner speaks to this. also, t I think that there is a difference between efficency "large percentage of power goes to rear wheel" and efficiency "getting the best result from a given power source".
Old 04-30-07, 08:20 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by thebristolkid
Maybe I should rename the thread, because it's a bit misleading. I was talking more about general bicycle design, of which fixed gear is the most basic. Today, a bicycle, whether it's a FG or a BMX or whatever, is 2 wheels, a chain with gears, and a frame made of triangles. 100 years ago, a bicycle was 2 wheels, a chain with gears, and a frame made of triangles. Why is that? That's my question.

As you have noted, bicycle design has changed very little since the late 1800's. The first bicycles were push alongs (Drasine), then big wheel bikes and then the chain drive and diamond frame bike were introduced. Since the chain drive/diamond frame, there has been very little change in the basic design of bikes, with maybe the exception of the derailleur in the 1940-50s.

Since the invention of the chain drive diamond frame, there has been a refinement in materials, lighter structural materials, better shifters, more gears, but there has been no revolution in bicycle design like the revolution between big wheel bikes and chain drive bikes.

I think the design of a bicycle is so simple, elegantly simple I would add, that I can't see the design changing radically in the near future.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 04-30-07, 08:26 AM
huerro
Villainous

Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mander
Basically what pfutz said. Horses for courses. My fg is perfect for making me happy while getting me around the city and sub optimal for all kinds of other things. There are good reasons why no one rides fixed in the TDF, on bmx street courses, etc etc etc.
Exactly, The fixie, for example, is horrible for carrying heavy loads up hills. Icecream/Tamale bikes (I suppose they are really trikes) with the load in front and low are much better for that task.

More real innovations in bicycle (again using the term loosely for individual pedal powered vehicles) design will come when they are used increasingly as more than recreation/personal transportation machines by enough people with enough money to make more R&D profitable. For the time being it seems to be carbon road rockets and multiple suspension machines that drive research.
Old 04-30-07, 08:56 AM
Landgolier
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you're confusing design and engineering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.