Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mis-alignment of shifter lever holes on my bar ends. What's the fix?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mis-alignment of shifter lever holes on my bar ends. What's the fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 08:01 PM
lungimsam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mis-alignment of cable holes on shifter lever and bar end pod. What to do?

The right (rear derailer) DT shifter lever has a hole that the cable is inserted into.
Cable then comes out the back of the lever, and then goes through a hole that passes through the bar end pod, then into the ferrule and into the cable housing.

Problem is that the pod and lever holes don't line up when the lever is mounted to the pod. I can get the cable through, but it rubs on the sidewall of the pod's hole. The lever needs some kinda spacer so that it can move about a 1/16th to the left, so that the holes will line up.

I cannot use a regular washer because the bolt that the lever mounts on is rectangular shaped.

Any ideas? OK to just use it like this as long as it shifts fine? I am just thinking that the constant rubbing from shifting will fray the cable.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by lungimsam; 07-29-12 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-29-12, 08:40 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Perhaps by filing you could adapt the hole in a standard round washer to fit the square bolt or stud? Maybe take an Xacto knife to a nylon washer?
Old 07-29-12, 08:44 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lungimsam
The right (rear derailer) DT shifter lever has a hole that the cable is inserted into.
Cable then comes out the back of the lever, and then goes through a hole that passes through the bar end pod, then into the ferrule and into the cable housing.

Problem is that the pod and lever holes don't line up when the lever is mounted to the pod. I can get the cable through, but it rubs on the sidewall of the pod's hole. The lever needs some kinda spacer so that it can move about a 1/16th to the left, so that the holes will line up.

I cannot use a regular washer because the bolt that the lever mounts on is rectangular shaped.

Any ideas? OK to just use it like this as long as it shifts fine? I am just thinking that the constant rubbing from shifting will fray the cable.

Thanks for any ideas.
did you just say DT shift lever? as in this is a dt to barcon conversion; not an intentionally designed combination? If so all bets are off....

what kind of lever is it? shimano ones have a very specific spacer that goes behind them; and which also come in different heights for left/right sides on some models.... maybe this is the issue....

https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/sh21.htm

Last edited by xenologer; 07-29-12 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-29-12, 08:54 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 861 Posts
Sounds like a custom application, and without pictures it's almost impossible to say what's needed.

The bolt on a Shimano bar-end pod isn't square-shaped, but the long hollow nut has two flats on it. Normally the torque from the indexing is transmitted to the pod via a special cast washer.

I'm assuming your shifter exerts torque resistance thru the hollow nut with the 2 flat sides. In this case, the washer you need can have a round hole since the shift lever should have it's own 2-flatted anti-rotation washers which transmit all the holding torque thru the hollow nut.

By the way, whose pods are you using? Again, pictures would help greatly.
Old 07-29-12, 09:00 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Friction shifter, right?
Old 07-29-12, 09:21 PM
lungimsam

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Shimano sl-7800 dt shifter lever on a shimano bar end pod. Came with my used bike.
It has friction/sis option. I think I will go friction.

Yes, I was mistaken, it is that deep nut that has 2 flatted sides (if I remember right), so I will try a round washer. The bar end came with a round washer with 4 flatted sides inside to lay up against the pod.

Didn't think of that. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 07-29-12, 10:50 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Could the levers be reversed? i know when using some bar end shifters, if you have the levers on the wrong sides, the cables won't feed correctly at all.
Old 07-30-12, 02:20 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I don't think that any Shimano index shifter will be able to hold it's position by engaging the flats on the hollow bolt.
The inside of these shifters is round, and there are no anti-rotation washers that I can recall.

The cast spacer washer is supposed to engage the square protrusion on the inside of the pod, which you would hope would have the cable spool groove lining up with the cable hole in the pod.

Shimano's DT shifters have spacer washers with a profile curved to conform to the down tube, but another version is basically the one sold on the Rivendell site for bar end shifters, and sounds light what you might need..
Old 07-30-12, 02:29 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Needle file?
Old 07-30-12, 07:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Shimano's DT shifters have spacer washers with a profile curved to conform to the down tube.
Older ones did but I believe Shimano now supplies flat back washers to match current much larger diameter downtubes.
Old 07-31-12, 11:41 PM
lungimsam

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ordered the adapters from rivbike.com
gonna try. thanks for the tip.