Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss Club

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Weight Loss Club

Old 08-23-19, 09:38 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
A couple of years ago was up to 275+ after tearing my shoulder and a horrendous commute. I took a much lower paying job that is close by, and this year have put over 1200 miles in the bike. This morning I was 239.
Cutting out the alcohol and carbs seem to help. I have danced around this weight for about a month but now I am dedicated to dropping at least 10 lbs before the cold weather sets in. I didn't gain any significant weight last winter so I am hopning to continue that trend.
Old 10-05-19, 08:45 AM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
I was up to one of the heaviest i had ever been. 230. Im 5’ 10” tall and while thats not huge it was still uncomfortable. Just turned 50 and the weight wasnt healthy. Was having a hard time doing normal things and fitting into normal clothes. A few years ago i went from 235 to 170 and i felt great but i literally gained it all back. Im not big on the gym and before i did alot of running to lose the weight but again wasnt really into it which is why i stopped. So i bought a mountain bike on September 1st. I grew riding bikes so it was something i enjoyed but hadnt been on a bike in 20 years. On October 1st I had already lost 22 pounds and was down to 208. I ride twice a week but because i want to really enjoy mountain biking it forced me to change my diet and exercise daily evem when im not riding. Im up to 15 miles a ride and loving it!! Got another 30 pounds to go!!
Likes For jrhoneOC:
Old 10-05-19, 09:51 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by KathyF99
Indoor riding is so boring to me at the gym, any suggestions for adding interest? Hard to keep up training without some indoor work
Gym spin classes are all about the instructor. The best I've seen are current road bike or track competitors. They need to work out and they make you work, too. I've always found doing hard efforts in good company to provide sufficient "interest."

After some years of spin classes, I quit going in favor of working out on my resistance rollers at home, with big fans and loud music. Rollers will definitely hold your attention. One slip in concentration and you're on the floor. Plus you're on your real bike, riding your real tires, and except for some details like not having much momentum, it feels a lot like the road. Resistance rollers because they allow you to do hard intervals, low cadence pedaling, all sorts of drills and efforts. I found this to be more effective out on the road than was spin class. I think these are the best currently available: https://www.sportcrafters.com/produc...ve-pro-rollers

I've been riding resistance rollers for over 20 years, haven't tired of them yet.
Old 10-08-19, 08:46 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Hurton
Which vitamins and supplements do you take and thing are worth it?
Probably none. Focus on your diet and then exercise. Supplements are way, way down the list in terms of importance.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 12-27-19, 06:06 PM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Probably none. Focus on your diet and then exercise. Supplements are way, way down the list in terms of importance.
Totally agree, it's all about keeping a caloric deficit. Riding regularly also helps drastically and makes you feel much better about the occasional cheat day.

330+ to 180 lbs in one year -- just counting calories and pedaling. I'm luckily in the maintenance phase at this point but still logging calories and rides.
Likes For Synack42:
Old 05-10-20, 08:35 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I've lost about 50lbs this year. 1200/calories a day for a dude 5'10". About 15 years ago I was around~300lbs and managed to get down to 220 and stay between 200-220 for the last 10 years or so. Last year though I crept back to 230lbs and the clothes were getting to tight so I decided to get my **** together and finish what I started so long ago. I weighed in at 180lbs this morning, been there for the last week or so. I am cold all the time now and none of my clothes fit. I'm lucky I had ordered some kits that were too small so I still have cycling clothes that fit but most of my shirts are baggy now and the cuffs on some shorts no longer grip my legs. I took pretty detailed body measurements and didn't seem to lose a lot of muscle mass... my weightlifting numbers also don't really reflect any huge decrease in strength but I haven't been training that consistently either so it's not really a fair comparison... pull-ups and chin-ups are a touch easier though. progress pics (i'm in boxer shorts so might be nsfw?), though there's a typo, the 2019 pics are actually from 2018 when I'd tried to do this in the winter of '18-19 and ended up at 200lbs but then I started riding brevets and eating/partying with those folks and ended up being ~215lbs after PBP.
Likes For clasher:
Old 05-12-20, 09:08 AM
johncroom
John Croom

Bikes: TONS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Professional cyclist who went from Flab to abs.

Wanted to drop a line - I have lost over 100lbs which lead to a few national titles for me and I am here for anyone needing advice!
Old 09-06-20, 08:16 PM
wmaya

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am so happy for you all! This threat really inspired me,
I am getting int seriously bike for the first time in my life (I want to ride every day, or like 5 days a week at minimum)

any advice on how you' all implemented biking into your daily routine? (especially now during the pandemic!)
Old 09-07-20, 09:06 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
When I started commuting by bike cycling became an almost every day thing. Before commuting, I'd get 3-4 days a week in on my road bike. I still did the road rides, just that 3 days a week I'd ride my commuter bike to work, 10 miles each way. I lost weight, lots. Now that I've retired I'm finding it hard to ride that much even though my days are pretty free.