Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Too much Trek

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-19, 10:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
I feel like most people who are anti-Trek are pro-Spesh. I don't get it, but it seems that way haha. My buddy who actually got me into cycling is a die-hard Spesh lover. Rides both a Specialized and an S-WORKS. All he does is talk about how trash/generic Trek is. So of course I got one just to spite him. I kid...lol. I got one because I really like the Domane and their customer service was on point! Bottom line, ride what you like, no matter how many you see on the road. If you're worried about other people having the bike you are getting, you're most likely riding for the wrong reason haha. Because that's not going to affect you if you're commuting, if you're racing, or if you're just hanging it in your office at home.

Buddy and I were both talking about how many Treks there were on the road...and as soon as we started saying that, we started seeing people on their S-WORKS, literally everywhere. I actually don't know how many people I've seen just put-putting around on these $12-$13k bikes in their Bora or other pro team kit. But you know what? Who cares? It's their money, their preference, and their life! I do think a lot of it has to do with the greater interest in pro cycling these days. People see the big brands on the TV and they go "ooooh". Especially Specialized. Peter Sagan and these Specialized pro teams are all over the place in media. Specialized is definitely getting business out of it, if these brand new Venge/Tarmac all over the road are any indication.
It's never once occurred to me that you have to choose sides based on the decal on the bike if you're not being paid to promote one. Is this really a thing? How does Giant figure into it?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-19, 12:45 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's never once occurred to me that you have to choose sides based on the decal on the bike if you're not being paid to promote one. Is this really a thing? How does Giant figure into it?
I'd say it's really just a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing. You grow up out in the country (at least in the US), you pick one and you stick with it. Chevy trucks haul more, Ford trucks have the best transmission, Dodge has CUMMINS!! Doesn't matter if it's true or not, you pick young and you never look back. You trash the others no matter how good they are. It's just how it is. With cycling, I think it's not quite as pronounced, but there is a LOT of brand loyalty going around, at least from what I've seen. I'm sure there is a large variety of bikes if you take into account the whole of Japan...but in the Yokohama/Tokyo area you see a crapton of Spesh, Scott, Look, Fuji, and Trek. See some Cannon, Giant, and Merida as well, but just not as much. Canyon on rare occasions and I think I've yet to see an Orbea on the road...though I'd love to. That was the bike I wanted, but so hard to figure out a way to get it here. Orbea Orca M20i LTD...mmm...would have been epic.
Old 10-26-19, 04:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,414 Times in 2,752 Posts
I feel like most people who are anti-Trek are pro-Spesh.
haha
Old 10-26-19, 05:30 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
haha
Hehehe. I mean, I didn't say I was right. Do you ride specialized?
Old 10-26-19, 05:44 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I like TREKs.

They make good parts donors for my Cannondales and Softrides
Considering you can’t find parts for Cannondales that’s a great idea 👍
Old 10-26-19, 08:44 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
...we started seeing people on their S-WORKS, literally everywhere. I actually don't know how many people I've seen just put-putting around on these $12-$13k bikes in their Bora or other pro team kit. But you know what? Who cares? It's their money, their preference, and their life! I do think a lot of it has to do with the greater interest in pro cycling these days. People see the big brands on the TV and they go "ooooh". Especially Specialized. Peter Sagan and these Specialized pro teams are all over the place in media.
Where do you live where you see S-WORKS, literally "everywhere" and there is a greater interest in pro cycling? Certainly not anywhere in the U.S.

What media and TV are you looking at where the big brands and pro teams are all "over the place"? Certainly not anywhere in the U.S.

I suspect you are focusing on a tiny slice of media devoted to cycling enthusiasts, and have a very narrow filtered view of the rest of the cycling world.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-26-19 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-26-19, 10:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Bikes are largely commodities with off-the-shelf parts. Little differentiation other than support and dealer network.
Nope.
There is actual design and that creates noticable differences between models and brands.
It can be argued whether those differences matter or not, but they exit. Furthermore, geometry differences between models and brands largely differentiates options into a wide spectrum of choices...which is the opposite of a commodity.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-26-19, 10:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by GlennR
Then what's this?
It's exactly what it looks like- a narrow use nearly murdered out uninspiring drop bar bike.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-26-19, 12:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It's exactly what it looks like- a narrow use nearly murdered out uninspiring drop bar bike.
Not narrow, the bars are 42cm. I've ridden it all over Long Island, in Maine, the Catskills, Florida, Pacific Coast Highway, Scottsdale and other locations. It's inspired me to put 24,000 miles over the last 5 seasons.

Looks like you're still looking for the perfect bike that does everything and have yet to find it.

Honestly the only thing narrow is your mind.
Old 10-26-19, 12:56 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Sounds like we need the little, non licensed by Sam Waterson, decal of Calvin peeing on a Trek, for your vehicle’s back window.
Tim
Old 10-26-19, 01:43 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
ya but are any made there?
Hard to say, but I've got a Trek 6000 mountain bike that I bought about 20 years ago. The frame was made in Wisconsin. It survived the "Ore to Shore" race and continues to serve this older rider with "trekking" bars. For an "entry-level" MTB, it was a good buy.
Old 10-26-19, 02:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Not narrow, the bars are 42cm. I've ridden it all over Long Island, in Maine, the Catskills, Florida, Pacific Coast Highway, Scottsdale and other locations. It's inspired me to put 24,000 miles over the last 5 seasons.

Looks like you're still looking for the perfect bike that does everything and have yet to find it.

I've never looked for 1 bike to do it all.
And I wouldnt look at that trek to do anything.
Old 10-26-19, 02:37 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Hehehe. I mean, I didn't say I was right. Do you ride specialized?
Can't speak for @shelbyfv, but my bikes are 2xSpecialized and 1xGiant ... and I think that Treks are fine bikes as well.

The only reason I haven't considered buying Trek, and won't all else being equal, is that my lbs -- to which I am loyal -- doesn't carry 'em.
Likes For badger1:
Old 10-26-19, 02:48 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Too much Trek out here. I can’t believe how many people are riding Trek.

Good bikes but holy moses. I see Trek bicycles everywhere I go.
All I ever owned are Treks. Great selection. Fair prices. High quality. Best warranty in the business, (especially) if you have a reputable or honest and diligent LBS to deal with that features Trek as their main or one of their main line of bikes. Also, Trek/Bontrager accessories are great too IMO.
Old 10-26-19, 03:09 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I stand corrected, you mind isn't narrow... its closed.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-26-19, 05:29 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Where do you live where you see S-WORKS, literally "everywhere" and there is a greater interest in pro cycling? Certainly not anywhere in the U.S.

What media and TV are you looking at where the big brands and pro teams are all "over the place"? Certainly not anywhere in the U.S.

I suspect you are focusing on a tiny slice of media devoted to cycling enthusiasts, and have a very narrow filtered view of the rest of the cycling world.
Well your "assumptions" are accurate to some degree. I don't live in America...right now. As stated multiple times, I'm in Japan and was basing this off of the Yokohama/Tokyo area. So that was kind of the point. It was limited in scope...again, as stated...and most likely this way because of the significant amount of money in the areas I mentioned. And yea...cycling is freaking huge in Japan. I'm not focusing on a "tiny slice of media" at all. It's a well known fact that cycling has become larger over the past few years. It's attracting a larger audience and the sport as a whole is getting more attention. Maybe not in the US, but not everyone is from the US, or lives there. I suppose in Iowa, they teach you that everyone not from Iowa...isn't a part of the cycling world.

Last edited by N00b_Cyclist; 10-26-19 at 05:32 PM.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 10-26-19, 08:29 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Sounds like we need the little, non licensed by Sam Waterson, decal of Calvin peeing on a Trek, for your vehicle’s back window.
Tim
Watterson/Waterston: pick one.

Bill Watterson

Sam Waterston

Last edited by thumpism; 10-26-19 at 08:33 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 10-26-19, 10:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Some opinions aren't worth expressing.
Seriously jerk post.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-19, 10:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Well your "assumptions" are accurate to some degree. I don't live in America...right now. As stated multiple times, I'm in Japan and was basing this off of the Yokohama/Tokyo areaWell your "assumptions" are accurate to some degree. I don't live in America...right now. As stated multiple times, I'm in Japan and was basing this off of the Yokohama/Tokyo area. So that was kind of the point. It was limited in scope...again, as stated...and most likely this way because of the significant amount of money in the areas I mentioned. And yea...cycling is freaking huge in Japan. I'm not focusing on a "tiny slice of media" at all. It's a well known fact that cycling has become larger over the past few years. It's attracting a larger audience and the sport as a whole is getting more attention. Maybe not in the US, but not everyone is from the US, or lives there. I suppose in Iowa, they teach you that everyone not from Iowa...isn't a part of the cycling world.
I learned that a N00b making assumptions/guesses about the "freaking huge" status of the cycling "sport" around the world based on a highly selective view of the Yokohama/Tokyo area is likely to post any sort of BS that fits his wishful thinking noobish construct.

Note: you previously stated zero times in this thread where you were located or where your "here" is located.
Old 10-26-19, 11:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I learned that a N00b making assumptions/guesses about the "freaking huge" status of the cycling "sport" around the world based on a highly selective view of the Yokohama/Tokyo area is likely to post any sort of BS that fits his wishful thinking noobish construct.

Note: you previously stated zero times in this thread where you were located or where your "here" is located.
It's posted in his profile. Nice try to cover, but you own-goaled with your knee-jerk trolling this time.

In case you aren't aware of it, Japan is a fairly populous country, and most of the world isn't Iowa. Let us know if you need us to post a map.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-19, 11:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ok, so you can ride it lots of places, but can you use it to cut down trees? See, narrow use--check mate!
Old 10-27-19, 12:10 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Look, I'm just here to enjoy the cycling community, both online and on the road. I'm sorry that you are so jaded that you find it necessary to pick fights with seemingly everyone from the comfort of your computer (yes, I did a little digging into your post history). Enjoy retirement, I'm sure you earned it!
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 10-27-19, 12:36 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts

I don't know a thing about Iowa but here in So California, there are Specialized S Works every freaking where! S works tires, bikes. Tarmacs, Roubaix, and a ton of my buddies watch the big tours.

Again, I do not know about Iowa so I don't make statements that pertain to that area but here, on a ride, I may encounter 300 cyclists and a LOT of them are on Specialized. Orange County, Southern California. Hundreds of miles of cyclists community. ;-)
Old 10-27-19, 05:56 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Ok, so you can ride it lots of places, but can you use it to cut down trees? See, narrow use--check mate!
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-27-19, 06:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
True, but he was talking quality only. Or rather all non department store bikes. Or so I thought.
Or it's quite possible that Giant actually makes many of the dept store bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.