Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Fear of carbon fork breaking on potholes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Fear of carbon fork breaking on potholes

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-19, 07:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Review several threads on this forum. There are many threads about CF forks and bikes shattering. The OP does have a real concern. He might pay a severe penalty for light weight componets.
A while back, someone posted an article about a class action suit concerning shattering carbon forks. The highlight of the article for me was the admission by the attorney heading up the effort that the bike they were riding had a carbon fork. It happens, but it's a freak occurrence. I don't spend a lot of my time worrying about getting hit by lightning or meteors either.
Old 10-25-19, 09:24 AM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Review several threads on this forum. There are many threads about CF forks and bikes shattering. The OP does have a real concern. He might pay a severe penalty for light weight componets.

If there are so many threads about carbon forks and bikes shattering, surely you can support your claim and list them quite easily, right?

You also must know that when folks break anything they are much more likely to report it than if nothing goes wrong, right?

I'll continue to rely my decades of personal experience with all flavors of carbon gear and my experience with hundreds of riders using carbon gear vs. lending credence to the strident, chicken little-esque, ravings of folks who are obviously confused. The OP would be wise to ignore your posts.
Old 10-27-19, 08:03 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by ab_antiquo

If there are so many threads about carbon forks and bikes shattering, surely you can support your claim and list them quite easily, right?

You also must know that when folks break anything they are much more likely to report it than if nothing goes wrong, right?

I'll continue to rely my decades of personal experience with all flavors of carbon gear and my experience with hundreds of riders using carbon gear vs. lending credence to the strident, chicken little-esque, ravings of folks who are obviously confused. The OP would be wise to ignore your posts.
I see you are a new member. It would be a good exercise for you to do some research and get up to speed on the subject.

Also post your qualifications that your opinion superceeds my knowledge after 74 years of cycling.
Old 10-27-19, 09:15 AM
ab_antiquo
Banned

I see you are a new member. It would be a good exercise for you to do some research and get up to speed on the subject.Also post your qualifications that your opinion superceeds my knowledge after 74 years of cycling.
Hilarious! Equating post count/join date with actual riding experience in an effort to deflect from claims that you can’t back up. If there are so many threads about carbon forks and bikes shattering, surely you can support your claim and list them quite easily, right?Your 75 years of tootling along on a bike or lying on your back scooting around on a bent does not equate to experience with carbon bikes and parts.
That’s obvious from the nonsensical claims you have made here.
I rode the first of my many carbon frames 20+ years ago, with many more frames and parts between then and now. Your crazy rants are not helpful for folks who are looking for the truth.
Old 10-27-19, 10:37 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
A while back, someone posted an article about a class action suit concerning shattering carbon forks. The highlight of the article for me was the admission by the attorney heading up the effort that the bike they were riding had a carbon fork. It happens, but it's a freak occurrence. I don't spend a lot of my time worrying about getting hit by lightning or meteors either.
This.

“Even after the lawsuits he’s seen, attorney James Reed, the New York Bike Law representative, still rides two carbon-fiber bikes, a Trek Madone road bike and a Giant mountain bike.”

“An avid cyclist, [expert witness Luke Elrath] rides a carbon-fiber bike—but it’s one he built himself, adding additional material at high-stress junctions. He knows others were built with far lower standards.”

BTW, very shortly after the article was published the lawsuit was settled - undisclosed terms.

As far as fork failures, there’s a long history - no matter the material. One “solution” is a bent.

-mr. bill
Old 10-27-19, 12:45 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by ab_antiquo
Hilarious! Equating post count/join date with actual riding experience in an effort to deflect from claims that you can’t back up. If there are so many threads about carbon forks and bikes shattering, surely you can support your claim and list them quite easily, right?Your 75 years of tootling along on a bike or lying on your back scooting around on a bent does not equate to experience with carbon bikes and parts.
That’s obvious from the nonsensical claims you have made here.
I rode the first of my many carbon frames 20+ years ago, with many more frames and parts between then and now. Your crazy rants are not helpful for folks who are looking for the truth.
Well we will leave you with this. Yes I have been biking approx 75 years. I have been an official at races, ran I dont know how many sag stops, been in the area trail org for 25 years, and in the local bike club for 36 years. I believe I can safely say I have been around for a while, and have accumulated a lot of cycling knowledge. That has lead me to the decision to never buy a plastic bike or fork. Everyone else including you can do as you like.
Old 10-27-19, 12:56 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Well we will leave you with this. Yes I have been biking approx 75 years. I have been an official at races, ran I dont know how many sag stops, been in the area trail org for 25 years, and in the local bike club for 36 years. I believe I can safely say I have been around for a while, and have accumulated a lot of cycling knowledge.
What happened to "Review several threads on this forum. There are many threads about CF forks and bikes shattering."? Where's your proof for your outlandish claims? Answer: nowhere.

Again, the OP would be wise to ignore your posts since they are baseless.