Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Too much Trek

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-19, 08:03 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Giant is making a suspension fork now
Old 10-27-19, 08:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's posted in his profile. Nice try to cover, but you own-goaled with your knee-jerk trolling this time.

In case you aren't aware of it, Japan is a fairly populous country, and most of the world isn't Iowa. Let us know if you need us to post a map.
N00b's location was Not posted in his profile when he posted the OP, nor was it posted previously in this thread. Hence the question about where he made his observations about S-Works being everywhere, and what population holds pro cycling and "the sport" in such high esteem.

Also, a selective observation of the cycling situation in his local area is hardly likely to represent the status of Japanese cycling activities anymore than a Californian observing cycling club weekend activities in his local area making representations about the exalted status of pro bicycling activities and "the sport" for the population of California.

I believe Japanese cycling riding and purchase preferences, including those cyclists who reside in Tokyo likely lean far more to the practical "mamachari" and not towards the high end "pro" S-works types favored by N00b. I also suspect that N00b like some other enthusiasts do not see or observe other cyclists or other types of cycling that do not fit nicely into their own profile or cycling preferences .

https://www.mamachari.co.uk/about-us/what-is-mamachari/
Mamachari are bicycles from Japan. They are made for riding around the city and are designed to be practical for things like riding to work, doing the shopping, taking the kids to nursery etc. Everyone’s got a mamachari in Japan. Literally everyone. To say that they are ubiquitous is an understatement. Mamachari are everywhere and are ridden by everyone – old/young, female/male, students, salary men (businessman), mothers, grandmothers and fathers.

Mamachari are much the same in Japan as Dutch bikes are in Holland. To the Japanese, a mamachari is just a sort extension of their shoes. There to be used (and abused) when you need them, forgotten and often neglected when you don’t. So mamachari have a hard life and need to be tough enough to stand up to it.

Introducing the Mamachari
When buying a bicycle most Japanese don't consider anything other than a mamachari and initially I found this odd because when I think of bicycles I think recreation, mountain biking, commuting, racing, or for getting air off the top of a set of stairs. But in Japan I realized I'm in the minority, as even your average Japanese male purchases a bike for its utility, for making short trips to the station with a briefcase in the basket and carrying groceries home from the supermarket etc.

In a country of 130 million people 85% own a bicycle. Who'd have guessed that the majority use their bikes for practical purposes rather than jumping gaps?
Old 10-27-19, 09:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 4,189 Posts
Some opinions aren't worth expressing.
Seriously jerk post.
Well it was meant to be, so it's good to see it was accurately interpreted.
Old 10-27-19, 11:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Is the state mammal of Iowa a troll?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-27-19, 03:01 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
N00b's location was Not posted in his profile when he posted the OP, nor was it posted previously in this thread. Hence the question about where he made his observations about S-Works being everywhere, and what population holds pro cycling and "the sport" in such high esteem.

Also, a selective observation of the cycling situation in his local area is hardly likely to represent the status of Japanese cycling activities anymore than a Californian observing cycling club weekend activities in his local area making representations about the exalted status of pro bicycling activities and "the sport" for the population of California.

I believe Japanese cycling riding and purchase preferences, including those cyclists who reside in Tokyo likely lean far more to the practical "mamachari" and not towards the high end "pro" S-works types favored by N00b. I also suspect that N00b like some other enthusiasts do not see or observe other cyclists or other types of cycling that do not fit nicely into their own profile or cycling preferences .

https://www.mamachari.co.uk/about-us/what-is-mamachari/
Mamachari are bicycles from Japan. They are made for riding around the city and are designed to be practical for things like riding to work, doing the shopping, taking the kids to nursery etc. Everyone’s got a mamachari in Japan. Literally everyone. To say that they are ubiquitous is an understatement. Mamachari are everywhere and are ridden by everyone – old/young, female/male, students, salary men (businessman), mothers, grandmothers and fathers.

Mamachari are much the same in Japan as Dutch bikes are in Holland. To the Japanese, a mamachari is just a sort extension of their shoes. There to be used (and abused) when you need them, forgotten and often neglected when you don’t. So mamachari have a hard life and need to be tough enough to stand up to it.

Introducing the Mamachari

When buying a bicycle most Japanese don't consider anything other than a mamachari and initially I found this odd because when I think of bicycles I think recreation, mountain biking, commuting, racing, or for getting air off the top of a set of stairs. But in Japan I realized I'm in the minority, as even your average Japanese male purchases a bike for its utility, for making short trips to the station with a briefcase in the basket and carrying groceries home from the supermarket etc.

In a country of 130 million people 85% own a bicycle. Who'd have guessed that the majority use their bikes for practical purposes rather than jumping gaps?
Have you even been to Japan? You make more assumptions in each of your posts than most people do in their entire lifetime. Just because you write 2,000 words per post and include images/links doesn't make it any less ridiculous. I never once stated that 1.) Japan only rides S-WORKS, 2.) Only people who ride "road racing" bikes were cyclists, or 3.) almost anything else you've spewed on the screen in your past few rants. You are just making more and more things up to fit your troll agenda each time you start to type. I literally was just saying I see S-WORKS all over the place here, which was a response to Trek being "so common". Do you remember that? Or have you completely forgotten how this started? You're not the end-all-be-all of cycling. Sorry to be the one to tell you. You're easily the biggest troll on a forum I've ever come across.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 10-27-19, 04:02 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by GlennR
Ever ride one?

I have a comparable bike, Emonda SLR, eTap, Zipp 303 and i've ridden a bone stock Emonda SL6 and there's a noticeable difference. Is the SLR worth 2.5 times as much? Depends on how much disposable income you have. When I bought my bike I was driving a 14 year old Civic with 245,000 miles.
This is so true. I drive a 2004 Nissan Fuga. It runs great, and probably will for another 5-7 years while I'm in Japan. No mortgage, no debt, no bills to speak of. Might as well dump a little cash on something I'm passionate about. Does it make "financial" sense? Probably not...I mean, it's certainly not an investment. But I'm blessed to have a bit of spare change, so why not?
Old 10-27-19, 04:06 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It's exactly what it looks like- a narrow use nearly murdered out uninspiring drop bar bike.
Looks a lot like my narrow-use Roubaix that I use for everything. Mine is similarly “murdered out”, a term which cracks me up.
Old 10-27-19, 04:06 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
Might as well dump a little cash on something I'm passionate about. Does it make "financial" sense? Probably not...I mean, it's certainly not an investment.
Look at this this way, my cost is under $0.50/mile. So it does make financial sense.

And it's paid dividends in my physical and mental health.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-27-19, 04:13 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Look at this this way, my cost is under $0.50/mile. So it does make financial sense.

That's a very valid point. It is an investment into my overall health, which is something I neglected after getting out of the military. Nice bike btw. I actually placed an order for a Project One Emonda SLR. But I felt like I would like the Domane more for my riding style, so I went back and changed the order. Now to put a ton of miles on it and make memories.
Old 10-27-19, 05:26 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts

I put enough miles on my bikes that I can also make the same conclusion with each bike I have owned or currently own. It’s a no brainer when you consider what one could spend on a recreational activity that doesn’t have the health and social benefits of cycling. I spent just as much racing RC cars back in the late 90’s and it paid very little in return.
Old 10-27-19, 09:34 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Watterson/Waterston: pick one.

Bill Watterson

Sam Waterston
Thats what I get for not going down to my bookshelf to check on the authors name. I have every Calvin and Hobbs book published, but am too old to remember anything anymore. Thanks.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 10-27-19 at 10:18 PM.
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 10-28-19, 11:50 AM
michaelfaas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Too much Trek out here. I can’t believe how many people are riding Trek.

Good bikes but holy moses. I see Trek bicycles everywhere I go.
I've had at least one Trek bike in the quiver since I was a teenager. Until recently, higher quality for the cost than competitors.

More importantly, they employ 1800 people domestically, I've known many people that have established long-term careers with this company. Always happy o support a company that supports our economy.
Old 10-28-19, 11:52 AM
keno999

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane SL5 / Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
I feel like most people who are anti-Trek are pro-Spesh. I don't get it, but it seems that way haha. My buddy who actually got me into cycling is a die-hard Spesh lover. Rides both a Specialized and an S-WORKS. All he does is talk about how trash/generic Trek is. So of course I got one just to spite him. I kid...lol. I got one because I really like the Domane and their customer service was on point! Bottom line, ride what you like, no matter how many you see on the road. If you're worried about other people having the bike you are getting, you're most likely riding for the wrong reason haha. Because that's not going to affect you if you're commuting, if you're racing, or if you're just hanging it in your office at home.

Buddy and I were both talking about how many Treks there were on the road...and as soon as we started saying that, we started seeing people on their S-WORKS, literally everywhere. I actually don't know how many people I've seen just put-putting around on these $12-$13k bikes in their Bora or other pro team kit. But you know what? Who cares? It's their money, their preference, and their life! I do think a lot of it has to do with the greater interest in pro cycling these days. People see the big brands on the TV and they go "ooooh". Especially Specialized. Peter Sagan and these Specialized pro teams are all over the place in media. Specialized is definitely getting business out of it, if these brand new Venge/Tarmac all over the road are any indication.
Just started riding again after a long layoff. I have a Specialized Sirrus and have started looking at the 2020 Domane. Can't decide on SL5 or SL6 though. I really like the SL5 Rage Red color. I probably can't tell the difference between Ultegra and 105 components.
Old 10-28-19, 12:00 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If it hasn't been said already, Trek fulfills the dominant slot Schwinn had in the 1960's and 1970's, with a strong dealer network.

My personal fleet includes

1986 Trek 620, need a new photo to show B17 and bars

1985 Trek 560

1986 Trek 520 Cirrus

1988 Trek 360

Not pictured are a 1984 520 and a Carbon 2100. MTBs include an 850, 930, 950, 970.
Likes For oddjob2:
Old 10-28-19, 12:02 PM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Trek

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Too much Trek out here. I can’t believe how many people are riding Trek.

Good bikes but holy moses. I see Trek bicycles everywhere I go.
As the old song goes........"Fools Rush in Where Angels Fear to Tread"
and so it is with Trekies...they too rush in, where Non-Treks Fear to Tread !

Sorry, best I could do under the circumstances...it would have been far easier to rhyme with Raleigh or Rudge! LOL

Julius in Ohio
Old 10-28-19, 12:40 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelfaas
I've had at least one Trek bike in the quiver since I was a teenager. Until recently, higher quality for the cost than competitors.

More importantly, they employ 1800 people domestically, I've known many people that have established long-term careers with this company. Always happy o support a company that supports our economy.
Good point
Old 10-28-19, 12:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,535 Times in 7,328 Posts
I know what this thread needs:

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-28-19, 12:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

I've been seeing them here everywhere!
Old 10-28-19, 12:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Those tires look too murdered out.
Old 10-28-19, 12:53 PM
indyfabz

Those tires look too murdered out.
Would hot pink tires be too much?
Old 10-28-19, 01:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Would hot pink tires be too much?
You can never have too much hot pink.

Coincidentally, that's the title of my memoirs.
Old 10-28-19, 01:13 PM
indyfabz

You can never have too much hot pink.
When choosing a color I had a pink test tube prepared. It looked too much like bubblegum.

Maybe I can find some Trek decals on eBay.
Old 10-28-19, 01:16 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Wrote reply

wrote reply to too much Trek, add popped up, lost my reply, won't bother to reply again.
Old 10-28-19, 01:30 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
i know what this thread needs:

lol...
Old 10-28-19, 02:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

When choosing a color I had a pink test tube prepared. It looked too much like bubblegum.

Maybe I can find some Trek decals on eBay.
If you're going the ironic decal route, I vote "Huffy" or "Yugo".

Bubblegum is definitely not hot pink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.