Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Street shoes for cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 08:08 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts

I've always had problems with regular shoes being too flexible for quill pedals, so I wear road shoes with Look Delta pedals and cleats. I'd like to try modern platforms on my upcoming retro gravel bike build. Any recommendations for "regular" shoes or boots for the cold weather ahead? Are running shoe soles stiff enough? How about sandals for summertime?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 10-26-19, 08:14 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I wear all kinds of “regular” shoes for winter riding or casual bar hopping, and the thing I care the most about is lace retention.

After that I guess it depends on the pedal.
Old 10-26-19, 08:16 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I do Keens in the summer, and Keens with wool socks the other morning at 36deg F. Actually one of the stiffest soles, but also wide, and they slip a lot on some pedals.
Old 10-26-19, 08:57 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't have clipless pedals or anything so regular tennis shoes are what I wear.
Old 10-26-19, 08:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I prefer sueded leather style skate shoes. The uppers might be good for gravel protection and the soles/treads are pretty grippy on the platforms that have the spikes.

eg.
https://www.nike.com/w/mens-skateboa...?sort=priceAsc
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-26-19, 01:41 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
I have a couple of pairs of shoes that are 1/2 or 1 size bigger and wider than normal for cold weather riding. That gives me the room for layering of socks. I am not concerned by the stiffness, but do want some tread on the soles to help keep my feet from slipping off the pedals. Obviously, the pedal itself can help with that. I am not trying to get good speed average or miles so much as just time on the bike outdoors. You might want to check out some spd type biking shoes that have the covers over the cleat area. I have an older pair of those that no longer have cleats, and I use them when riding my bike that has platform typ pedals. They are very comfortable, stiff soles and good tread for traction on the pedal. With a search, you can find past years models that are priced considerably lower.
Old 10-26-19, 02:49 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Keens or "hiking sneakers" during the summer, hiking boots during the winter. The Keens are ventilated, which has its pro's and con's depending on the outside temperature. I look for stiff soles. A pair of Vasque hiking boots has lasted me several years, and remain waterproof due to applying some "Goop" around the seams that started to leak.

Now, my winter riding tends to be commuting on fairly klunky bikes, so my experience might not be applicable if you're into more athletic cycling.

Of course the shoes have to look good. I'm a "hiking pants and plaid shirt" kind of guy, so the shoes work for me.
Old 10-26-19, 03:00 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
How about sandals for summertime?
I have some Chaco sandals with a fairly stiff sole - love riding with those on a hot summer day.

They're kind of heavy though, if that matters.
Old 10-28-19, 09:29 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Seńor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
For sole stiffness, the only non-cycling shoes I have ever found to be reasonable are hiking boots... and not hiking 'style' boots, but heavy leather boots tend to have a relatively rigid sole. These will also be good for cooler weather.

The other option is winter specific cycling shoes like those available from Sidi and Lake, and a set of two-bolt 'mtb' pedals.
Old 10-28-19, 10:39 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I've worn (and still wear) inexpensive Chinese made Dr. Marten boots for work and riding. These are real Dr. Marten branded boots, just much less expensive than the UK made boots. I can get at least 1 year out of them and I wear them 5 or 6 days a week. I'm on my third pair now and they come "pre-broken in".

Example: https://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US...gged+Boot.aspx

Lace control isn't a problem as I double knot them when I tied them.

BTW, these Doc Marten soles grip BMX/mountain bike pedals very, very well.
Old 10-28-19, 01:20 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Getting past the misnomer "retro gravel bike," and also that modern platforms are not retro.

But there lots of stiff-ish soled classic "sneakers" popular with platforms:

50s Adidas Sambas.
60s 70s - the decades of soleless sneakers, PF Flyers and Chuck Taylors - don't even think of them.
80s 90s - several Rebook or Nike basketball hightops. (Yeah, hightops and bikes are not a match made in heaven, but who cares.)
00s - ask again next year, not yet retro.
10s - are you kidding me?

Otherwise, going with a SPD touring/walkable cycling shoe would give you many sole stiffness options as well.

Or you could go Dutch and push with your heels.

-mr. bill
Old 10-28-19, 02:46 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Five Ten probably makes what you are looking for
Old 10-28-19, 02:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw - before using cleated shoes & pedals on my road bike I used MTB shoes w/o the cleats
Old 10-28-19, 03:05 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
There's no one-solution-fits-all. For me, I feel better with stiff soled shoes. Sneakers (running shoes, x-trainers, etc.), sandals and the like allow my feet to flex too much (high arch), my feet (balls of my feet, arch) hurt after a while when cycling with regular shoes. This is for rides in the hour+ range at a significant level of effort (aerobic or greater).

It's similar with hiking boots, I generally get a full lugged sole with a stiff leather upper, not the sneaker-like lighter ones. Tried those lighter boots, after a couple hours on rough trails (rocks), my feet were killing me from flexing so much and from pressure on my forefoot.

There are other people who have no trouble riding for hours in sneakers.
Old 10-28-19, 03:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Getting past the misnomer "retro gravel bike," and also that modern platforms are not retro.

But there lots of stiff-ish soled classic "sneakers" popular with platforms:

50s Adidas Sambas.
60s 70s - the decades of soleless sneakers, PF Flyers and Chuck Taylors - don't even think of them.
80s 90s - several Rebook or Nike basketball hightops. (Yeah, hightops and bikes are not a match made in heaven, but who cares.)
00s - ask again next year, not yet retro.
10s - are you kidding me?

Otherwise, going with a SPD touring/walkable cycling shoe would give you many sole stiffness options as well.

Or you could go Dutch and push with your heels.

-mr. bill
There's a skater version of the Samba that might be the ticket.
Old 10-28-19, 04:17 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
With my vintage road bikes and my personal vintage style I have Campagnolo Superleggeri pedals with cages and straps . Skate type sneakers with narrow toes fit my feet just fine and the flat bottoms make for safer city riding. In and out of “traps” no hang ups! Yes they are flexible but I can ride and walk comfortably.
Old 10-28-19, 05:17 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
I always ride wearing STAN SMITH Adidas White with the fairway green piece above the rear heel.
https://www.adidas.com/us/stan-smith-shoes/M20324.html