Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Car got rear-ended & broke my bike rack, Whaaaa

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 12:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

on my way to work this morning, while stopped in traffic, a small school van rear-ended me. it felt hard but I guess she was only going slowly. she said: "you know, my foot slipped off the brake". um, no

the bike was at home, so her vehicle pushed the rack into my hatchback & broke the rack in variously places. I liked this rack cuz it was tiny & light & I hunted for something like it for over a year. it cost me less than $100 on CL. I filed a claim w/ my insurance for the hatchback cuz that's the expensive thing. I can try to get compensation for the rack by going after the other driver's insurance company, but I won't bother

if the rack wasn't there, her bumper would have hit mine, at the licensee plate & instead of fixing the hatch door I'd be fixing the bumper (I think)

I think the hitch is OK, I think the rack got bent up, so it's not vertical anymore

looks like she came at me at an angle. wonder if she dropped her coffee or something

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-04-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 01:08 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Better check the receiver welds to make sure they're not cracked.
Jon
Old 11-04-19, 01:40 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
You were rear ended, make her insurance pay for everything, new hatch and a new rack. Why wouldn't you "bother"? She is at fault, I wouldn't pay for a thing.
Old 11-04-19, 01:43 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
You were rear ended, make her insurance pay for everything, new hatch and a new rack. Why wouldn't you "bother"? She is at fault, I wouldn't pay for a thing.
Indeed.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-04-19, 01:59 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Just a reminder - https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...bers-read.html .

(Even though the driver didn't hit you while you were on your bike, all of the good advice still applies.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 11-04-19, 02:11 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Why in the world not claim the rack? Regardless of the dollar volume of the claim, your premium will go up. Insurance companies never lose, they just increase your premium. I know, as I work for an insurance co. How many thousands of dollars have you shelled out over the years? Claim the rack. Rates are going up no matter what.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-04-19, 02:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Take is as a sign that you should transport your bike IN the vehicle.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-04-19, 02:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Why in the world not claim the rack? Regardless of the dollar volume of the claim, your premium will go up. Insurance companies never lose, they just increase your premium. I know, as I work for an insurance co. How many thousands of dollars have you shelled out over the years? Claim the rack. Rates are going up no matter what.
Why would his rate go up? Sounds like she was totally at fault. He was stopped in traffic and she hit him from behind. I got rear ended while stuck on an off ramp. My rate stayed the same.
Old 11-04-19, 02:33 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Why in the world not claim the rack?
my agent says she'll get back to me after filing the claim. initially she said for the rack, I'd have to file a claim myself with the other company. I bought it used for less than $100 from a guy in a parking lot, no receipt, etc. she said that my insurance wouldn't cover the rack
Old 11-04-19, 02:34 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Just a reminder - https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...bers-read.html .(Even though the driver didn't hit you while you were on your bike, all of the good advice still applies.)-mr. bill
thanks Bill, was thinking the same thing, but I think I'm OK, but I'll stay mindful

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-04-19 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 02:36 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Jon T
Better check the receiver welds to make sure they're not cracked.
Jon
it's a U-Haul bolt-on, but I'll invesigate further at home. gonna also put another rack on & check the angle to see if there's damage to the hitch. the way my agent talks sounds like if there is, the add-on hitch is not covered ... fwiw the threaded pin came out easy peasy, when I removed the rack. I'm thinking the cheap rack shaft was flexible enough to absorb the impact & deflect it up toward the hatch

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-04-19 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 02:52 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Well, I'm glad you are okay and that your bike was at home and not damaged and that any damage to your car was light.

Still, it must irk people to discover that their motor vehicle insurance doesn't cover things like the bike rack. It seems to me that insurance companies are delighted to take your money in premiums paid but are VERY stingy in paying out and then they raise your rates anyway. Over the years the increase in your rates often negates the amount the company paid out.

Good luck.

Cheers
Old 11-04-19, 05:31 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
It shouldn't matter how much you paid for the rack, they need to replace the rack at what ever it cost them to replace it? yes?
Old 11-04-19, 06:03 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
DOH! I was off, way off. Live in a no fault state and anything claimed raises my premium, even if I am not at fault. It sucks, but this discussion has been had before.
Old 11-04-19, 06:15 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
DOH! I was off, way off. Live in a no fault state and anything claimed raises my premium, even if I am not at fault. It sucks, but this discussion has been had before.
I hope this doesn't steer to far away from thread intent. but what advantages are there to the "no fault" thing?
Old 11-04-19, 06:47 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Check with the other driver's insurance company. They are obligated to make you "whole". If they balk at paying $100 for the bike rack threaten to take her to small claims court and give here the option to pay you for the rack out of her pocket. Just the threat may be enough. You aren't going to be able to find much in the way of a hitch rack new for less than the $100.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 11-04-19, 07:05 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Her insurance should pay

have adjuster add that into the crash

her fault not yours

fight like hell. Don’t let the insurance weenies win.
Old 11-04-19, 07:34 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
It shouldn't matter how much you paid for the rack, they need to replace the rack at what ever it cost them to replace it? yes?
I made sure that all items under my insurance are insured for REPLACMENT value.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-04-19, 10:24 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
It should be covered under "Comprehensive". That's the "catch-all" for items not specifically listed.
Jon
Likes For Jon T:
Old 11-05-19, 08:31 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my agent says she'll get back to me after filing the claim. initially she said for the rack, I'd have to file a claim myself with the other company. I bought it used for less than $100 from a guy in a parking lot, no receipt, etc. she said that my insurance wouldn't cover the rack
It shouldn’t matter where you bought the rack. Fact is, you now don’t have a rack and it’ll cost you to replace it. If she had somehow just broken your bike rack with no vehicles involved, you would expect her to pay to replace it and the same should apply here.
Old 11-05-19, 09:07 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I disagree with your decision to not pursue the other driver for replacement of the rack.
I also got my rack - a Thule 4 bike hitch mount - second hand for cheap, but if it was damaged I would have to spend much more to replace it - good racks are hundreds of dollars.
Old 11-05-19, 09:16 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I prefered the roof mounted rack when I had one. Every hitch mounted rack I have owned has been ran into. Each time the other driver has fled before I could get a plate number. Seemed ironic that the local bike shops refused to sell me a roof rack because so many people try to pull into their garages with a bike up there.
Old 11-05-19, 10:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
It should be covered under "Comprehensive". That's the "catch-all" for items not specifically listed.
Jon
Yep. I had my roof rack stolen off my car. I didn't have comprehensive coverage (primarily a beater city car), which would have covered the theft.
Old 11-05-19, 10:19 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I disagree with your decision to not pursue the other driver for replacement of the rack.
I also got my rack - a Thule 4 bike hitch mount - second hand for cheap, but if it was damaged I would have to spend much more to replace it - good racks are hundreds of dollars.
Old 11-05-19, 10:24 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Oh man. That's terrible about your luck. I hope you're physically ok.

Your post reminds me of what I'm always worried about when a) my bike is on my rack or b) I'm driving around with the rack on my car. That someone will not be paying attending and slam in to me. The rack will get ruined, not to mention the additional damage to the car. I hope you're able to find a suitable replacement that you like just as much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.