Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hit a deer on the way to work.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hit a deer on the way to work.

Old 10-28-19, 12:16 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
Not too worried about one-upping any more. I've hit 6 deer while riding motorcycles, so this one makes 7. I'm not sure I can put collisions with bicycles in the same category as motorcycles.

Never went down on any of the 6 motorcycle related ones either, although there has been substantial damage done to the motorcycles.
That's crazy! Seems awfully irresponsible to sell them motorcycles in the first place.
Old 10-28-19, 12:24 PM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Deer are a menace.
But they can taste really good...

Backstraps wrapped in bacon,
roast/pulled,
or in Chilli
Likes For smullen:
Old 10-28-19, 03:50 PM
SkyWave

Bikes: 1970 Gitane Tandem, OPUS CX Ultegra Di2 '14, MARINONI Retro SL Campagnolo '17, MARINONI Tourismo '00 Shimano 105, KHS Tandemania Cross Shimano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Squirrelly

They may be small but they can be deadly.
|Cruising @ 35 km/h when a loud noise in my front wheel, significant shimmy and jolt to my system as I tried to comprehend what happened.
Carefully slowed and stopped. Looked back to see a small black furry critter. I realized that little flash before the impact was a squirrel. There was no ito reach as the brush came close to road's edge.
Fortunately for me, the critter did not penetrate spokes to cause an immediate complete stop to flip me over the bars, as the squirrel bounced off.
A slight adjustment to the front wheel and I was off riding again.
Again fortunate as I was recovering from a March crash ( broken leg with partial hip replacement and also a dislocated shoulder).
Old 10-28-19, 08:11 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Deer are a menace.
Originally Posted by berner
Funny you would say that because deer, no doubt, feel the same about people.
I feel the same way about people.

Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
They are the most dangerous non-human animal to human life, almost all because of collisions with cars.
Between bubonic plague and malaria, I think fleas or mosquitoes were/are more dangerous, depending on whether you count historically or currently.
Likes For Geekage:
Old 10-28-19, 08:33 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
Never went down on any of the 6 motorcycle related ones either, although there has been substantial damage done to the motorcycles.
Now that's a feat. I've had one motorcycle deer strike and I went down because I locked the front brake in a panic (was only 19 at the time, and had my endorsement for just a few months). These days I know better but, it's still a scary thought.
Old 10-29-19, 09:29 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And then they planted a gun on the deer.
It was in New Jersey...
Old 10-29-19, 10:08 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Deer are a menace.
They breed quickly to compensate for predators that mankind has killed off, plus other people feed the deer to help them breed more.

The solution is to restore the balance by either reintroducing bears/wolves/large cats that should live where you are or to pick up a weapon of some sort and participate in a hunting season.

Myself, I have fortunately not hit or been hit by a deer yet, but have seen many run across the road in front of me. Honestly, the closest near-miss I've had was with a wild turkey that was determined to cross the road first. Glad to have missed all of the above.
Old 10-30-19, 05:58 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Geekage
Between bubonic plague and malaria, I think fleas or mosquitoes were/are more dangerous, depending on whether you count historically or currently.
When I wrote animal I meant not insects, bacteria, fungi, viruses, which are far more dangerous. The point I meant to make is that if we allow wolves and cougars back, they may kill an occasional human but save more human lives by cutting down on deer. Wolf and cougar attacks make national news; deer collisions hardly make the local news. That shows that we care about something more than life.
Old 10-31-19, 09:49 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Deer are bad around here for hanging out on roads while I'm riding. I've had several close calls over the past few years. They always seem to pop up when I'm riding downhill going 25+ mph.
Old 10-31-19, 10:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by smullen
But they can taste really good...
In Montana, if you kill a deer, antelope, elk or moose with your car you may legally take it home for personal consumption. You may not dress it by the side of the road. You have to take the whole thing. Within 24 hrs. you have to go on line and get a retroactive permit so the state can keep track of kills. From what I have read, it's quite popular. I have done a good deal of touring in the state. In many areas there are lots of deer. I mean lots. Even in small towns they will wander around and cross roads with no fear a humans or vehicles.
Old 10-31-19, 02:22 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
They breed quickly to compensate for predators that mankind has killed off, plus other people feed the deer to help them breed more.

The solution is to restore the balance by either reintroducing bears/wolves/large cats that should live where you are or to pick up a weapon of some sort and participate in a hunting season.

Myself, I have fortunately not hit or been hit by a deer yet, but have seen many run across the road in front of me. Honestly, the closest near-miss I've had was with a wild turkey that was determined to cross the road first. Glad to have missed all of the above.
Problem is, we're terrible predators. We don't go for the old, sick, and weak, thus strengthening the herd; we go for the young and strong.
Old 10-31-19, 08:11 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
When I wrote animal I meant not insects, bacteria, fungi, viruses, which are far more dangerous. The point I meant to make is that if we allow wolves and cougars back, they may kill an occasional human but save more human lives by cutting down on deer. Wolf and cougar attacks make national news; deer collisions hardly make the local news. That shows that we care about something more than life.
Snakes then. 50,000 deaths annually, vs. 200 for deer.

But yeah, more predators is fine. ISTR that wolf populations coming back is overall good for forests/ecosystems because they keep deer and small animals from overgrazing and destroying some habitats that would have led to erosion, flooding, etc.

Re: attacks on humans, we don't want these predators to find out how tasty and easy prey we humans are. The line I heard from an Alaskan ranger second/third/nth hand was, "Don't do anything to get killed by a bear. I don't care about you, but I'd really hate to have to go kill that bear." Same goes for wolves, cougars, etc. The problem is, as with deer, crowding them and making them have to to deal with humans being everywhere, conflict is going to occur. Or roadkill.
Old 11-01-19, 07:34 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyWave
They may be small but they can be deadly.
|Cruising @ 35 km/h when a loud noise in my front wheel, significant shimmy and jolt to my system as I tried to comprehend what happened.
Carefully slowed and stopped. Looked back to see a small black furry critter. I realized that little flash before the impact was a squirrel. There was no ito reach as the brush came close to road's edge.
Fortunately for me, the critter did not penetrate spokes to cause an immediate complete stop to flip me over the bars, as the squirrel bounced off.
A slight adjustment to the front wheel and I was off riding again.
Again fortunate as I was recovering from a March crash ( broken leg with partial hip replacement and also a dislocated shoulder).
I think someone's posted a picture on the forums before of a dead squirrel caught in the spokes of a front bicycle wheel. Little bugger apparently thought he could run right through the wheel and didn't see the spokes.
Old 11-01-19, 08:07 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
On a group ride on Block Island, a friend got hit by a deer while he was going fast. He broke a rib and had some road rash.
Old 11-01-19, 01:15 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Local trails in my city run in wooded areas, ravines, wetlands, around lakes, etc. so deer are pretty common - along with various other small critters. In the city the deer seem to know they are safe and some seem almost tame. I've followed does with fawns just ambling along the trail until they get to where they want to go and then just melt back into the woods. Closest call I had was when a buck jumped out of the brush and across the trail in front of me. He went over shoulder high - 6 or 8 feet more and he would have cleaned me right off the bike.

Best creature encounter was a grey owl. He swooped down and flew alongside for about 20 yards and then flew back up into the trees. Maybe I looked like a big fat field mouse.
Old 11-01-19, 01:45 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Yesterday going home around 7:30 PM, I was entering Marymoor Park from the trail parallel to West Lake Sammamish Pkwy.
I have my headlight on handlebar, so can't see much around when gets darker.
Turning the 90 degree left turn on trail, I see something standing there on my left ... it was a small deer. Great that it stayed there
Old 11-02-19, 01:57 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
In the US

we don't want these predators to find out how tasty and easy prey we humans are. .
Good point, but I don't think it's likely.
Old 11-05-19, 03:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I think someone's posted a picture on the forums before of a dead squirrel caught in the spokes of a front bicycle wheel. Little bugger apparently thought he could run right through the wheel and didn't see the spokes.
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...rel-hater.html

post #2

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...t-wheel-2.html

post #2 9
Old 11-05-19, 03:53 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
A buddy got intentionally rammed by a buck a couple years ago. Broke a couple of ribs, messed up the bike.

It’s this time of year, the bucks are going nuts.
I've wondered whether a buck in rut would interpret the sound of a snot rocket as a challenge. Admittedly, a snot rocket lacks the resonance of a buck's snort, but still...

(Ruminations during slow climbs at o'dark thirty through deer-infested woods.)
Old 11-05-19, 08:23 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
During rutting season (which is now) male deers can get very aggressive. Wasn't there a video of a cyclist actually getting charged and knocked off the bike?
Old 11-05-19, 09:01 PM
SoreFeet

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
You are very lucky...slow down and take it easy...Bike paths are great like that...no traffic go at a good clip, then deer, skunks, and stupid humans they just appear out of nowhere. Did you have a good light, or just waiting for more day light? Crazy to think you didn't eat the pavement.
Old 11-06-19, 02:25 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SoreFeet
You are very lucky...slow down and take it easy...Bike paths are great like that...no traffic go at a good clip, then deer, skunks, and stupid humans they just appear out of nowhere. Did you have a good light, or just waiting for more day light? Crazy to think you didn't eat the pavement.
Yes, I'm very lucky. No, I won't slow down and take it easy. I am fully aware of the risks associated with riding a bicycle at the pace I ride, and have made the decision that for me, it's worth it. I ride my bike because I enjoy it, and I enjoy riding as fast as my legs will propel me - it's exercise after all.

I use a light when I would use the headlights on my car, and it was on that morning. The headlight helped me brake earlier than I would have without the headlight and may have made the deer aware of my presence sooner as well, so I'd say it made a difference in the outcome.... but of course we'll never know.

Pavement doesn't taste good.
Old 11-07-19, 12:46 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Problem is, we're terrible predators. We don't go for the old, sick, and weak, thus strengthening the herd; we go for the young and strong.
You forget that wild predators also get the young because they are smaller and slower. They'll also get those young, strong prey animals if they make a mistake. But human wildlife management is more complex than hunting trophies as you imply... Doe seasons help a lot with population control (you can generally count on each doe being pregnant regardless of how many bucks there are). Various other restrictions stop hunting the younger in the group. While hunters will show off a kill with a large rack, most I know are more concerned about putting meat in the freezer. Either way, it beats no predators unless you just want overpopulation.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 11-07-19, 01:11 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
You forget that wild predators also get the young because they are smaller and slower. They'll also get those young, strong prey animals if they make a mistake. But human wildlife management is more complex than hunting trophies as you imply... Doe seasons help a lot with population control (you can generally count on each doe being pregnant regardless of how many bucks there are). Various other restrictions stop hunting the younger in the group. While hunters will show off a kill with a large rack, most I know are more concerned about putting meat in the freezer. Either way, it beats no predators unless you just want overpopulation.
Fair enough; I really don't know anything about hunting. Good to know.