Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cannondale M200 bargain

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cannondale M200 bargain

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 01:52 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,118 Times in 1,962 Posts
Updated: Cannondale M200 bargain: advice requested

I do not usually find decent deals around here...but I lucked out on this one.

Cannondale M200 for $50. Plus the seller threw in two Continental Town and Country tires (<100 miles on them) as part of it.

Then a bigger surprise...no Acera Crank/rd/fd/hubs and Tektro cantis, but all Shimano Deore XT, with a Specialized crank... I thought M200s came with the former...not sure if she upgraded at some point.

And a Soft ride stem as well...not sure about that. Might have to put that one on the block.

And a decent size for me since I like my MTBs a bit smaller.

"Beatrice" needs a bit of love, but all in all a good bargain.

Last edited by jdawginsc; 11-06-19 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 11-03-19, 06:07 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Give the Softride stem a chance before parting with it. Once you get used to the motion you might appreciate the suspension.
Old 11-03-19, 06:11 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Excellent score, congrats! 👍 Yep, someone definitely upgraded the components, XT would have been a much higher model number. But it's the same frame, so you can call it whatever you like. 😁

I shouldn't jinx myself at this point, lol, so I'll mention, I'm probably getting another Cannondale tomorrow. I don't want to say TOO much yet, but it'll be worth the trouble of accumulating. 😎
Old 11-03-19, 06:46 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Originally Posted by stardognine
Excellent score, congrats! 👍 Yep, someone definitely upgraded the components, XT would have been a much higher model number. But it's the same frame, so you can call it whatever you like. 😁

I shouldn't jinx myself at this point, lol, so I'll mention, I'm probably getting another Cannondale tomorrow. I don't want to say TOO much yet, but it'll be worth the trouble of accumulating. 😎
I have a Crest Cannondale from 1988, and it is supposedly an SR500, and a guy who used to be a large Cannondale guy told me a few years ago that as far as frames were concerned, there were very few differences up the chain from the 80s through the mid 90s...that the difference was in the componentry. I cannot confirm this obviously, and the materials could be the difference, but in any case...

...I am pretty happy to get a MTB for $10 (tires are $40!)

And I haven't made a decision on the soft ride stem quite yet. It's awfully front top heavy when I took it out.
Old 11-03-19, 06:49 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Originally Posted by thumpism
Give the Softride stem a chance before parting with it. Once you get used to the motion you might appreciate the suspension.
It would seem to be kinder on pavement to arms and upper body, but on dirt, would seem to be counter-intuitive to a suspension fork, I'd think...which gives in handling. Not sure what I am going to do with it...because it's a chromoly fork, I am not as worried about my fillings be jarred from my head, but Cannondales are of course a bit coarse on the hind parts...
Old 11-03-19, 07:28 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
It would seem to be kinder on pavement to arms and upper body, but on dirt, would seem to be counter-intuitive to a suspension fork, I'd think...which gives in handling. Not sure what I am going to do with it...because it's a chromoly fork, I am not as worried about my fillings be jarred from my head, but Cannondales are of course a bit coarse on the hind parts...
I had a suspension stem on an old MTB and I took it off because for me, on hard bumps whether on pavement or trails it felt like I was about to go over the handlebar. Others may find it differently but to me it was quite unnerving.

Cheers
Old 11-03-19, 08:29 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
My shorter Girvin stem dips very little, the elastomer is still stiff and it works for my fit. I have numb fingers from Carpel surgery 20 years ago so another tick in the plus column.
OP, nice bike and those Contis were great back in the 90's. I'd run those. Good on you.
Old 11-06-19, 04:08 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Advice requests: I want to keep the bike largely intact and where needed, update reasonably cheaply, but long term. I have to replace a few items that are near/at failure, in addition to the consumables...tube, cables, brake pads.

I have already bought a Ritchey force stem and Selle Italia X1 for $40 total.

1. Replacement for shifters: It has a Deore XT 8 speed RD/cassette. What shifters should I invest in? Sun Tour ratchet, grip shifters?
2. Brake Pads: Kool Stop, or any better cheaper options?
3. Keep the crankset or invest in Deore XT or something lighter?
4. Keep the soft-ride stem or sell it, and install the Ritchey?
5. Conti Town and Country tires, or is there a better trail/road tire that is better?
Old 11-06-19, 09:20 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
1. Softride stem will pay for the entire bike. Whenever I have gotten one on a bike, I sell it. Ditto Girvin stems too (just sold one).

2. Grip shifters suck IMHO. Thumb shifters for the win.

3. New crankset is not an investment, just keep what you have.

4. Trail/road tires: endless choices out there, defining the "best" is like discussing the "best" chain lube. Since you already have the tires, use them. I have no doubt there are better tires than the Town and Country. But better tires that are "free"? Nope.

5. Whats wrong with existing brake pads? Myself, Dia Compe makes good ones.

Really, define "best". Is best include value for the buck? Or is best the very best regardless of price?
Old 11-06-19, 04:33 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Originally Posted by wrk101
1. Softride stem will pay for the entire bike. Whenever I have gotten one on a bike, I sell it. Ditto Girvin stems too (just sold one).

2. Grip shifters suck IMHO. Thumb shifters for the win.

3. New crankset is not an investment, just keep what you have.

4. Trail/road tires: endless choices out there, defining the "best" is like discussing the "best" chain lube. Since you already have the tires, use them. I have no doubt there are better tires than the Town and Country. But better tires that are "free"? Nope.

5. Whats wrong with existing brake pads? Myself, Dia Compe makes good ones.

Really, define "best". Is best include value for the buck? Or is best the very best regardless of price?
-Leaning toward selling the Soft ride stem.

-What thumbies would work with the 8 speed set. Sun Tour XC? Deore ME? Another vintage one?

-Leaning that way on the crank as well. Bottom bracket is smooth, but holy rust on the cartridge body...Shimano UN51

-Definitely cost beneficial to keep the tires. Agree.

-Pads are completely worn. Heard mixed reviews on Dia Compes and Shimanos, but they seem to be cheaper.