Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Early 70's Raleigh Sports

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 08:52 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Early 70's Raleigh Sports

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/d...003892301.html

I tell myself I am just looking "What could go wrong by just looking?"

Ad says : Super nice old Raleigh Sports. 23 inch frame. Sturmey Archer hub says it’s from 1971. Reg Italy bottle and cage. Made in England frame pump. Brooks saddle in good shape with bag. Feel free to ask questions.

It's a ladies frame and even Mixte frames don't get respect which never helps value, but....

a) Really nice shape

b) Really well cleaned by seller

c) Seat is Brooks (B72??)

d) Frame pump, used pumps never work but worth a look as might work and looks to be either Reg Corsa or Silica

e) Saddle bag in what looks to be good shape (Don't believe it's a Brooks?)

f) Reg Corsa water bottle and cage looks ok with small rust to clamp

Thoughts??

I definitely don't need it, just looking

Old 11-08-19, 05:07 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
WGB -

That is a very nice 3 speed and in an unusually large size for a woman's style frame. It is definitely a Brooks B 72 ( check the side flap in the second photo) confirmed by the 4 wire, single coil per wire under carriage. The saddle bag is the OEM Raleigh vinyl one (they are very spacious) and it even seems to have the original leather closure straps. These typically dry up and break off because I swear no one ever maintains these things. Pump may be OEM but they were usually chromed steel. Looks like one of the last of the higher quality builds just before quality tanked during the bike boom.
Old 11-08-19, 07:47 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
The Larger framed Women's (step-through) bicycles do make great Upright-Town Cruisers for men of all ages and most all shapes and weights.
Those S/A 3 speed equipped bicycles are great bikes, if there aren"t any significant hills in the area where you ride.
I prefer the rear derailleur equipped-freewheel geared 5 SPEEDs over them because you can ride up any hill, anywhere as long as the low first gear sprocket has 30 teeth or more. Schwinn built the best 5 speeds beginning with the 1970 model year, because that was their first use of the Shimano rear derailleur (GT-100) and the 32-14 Model J freewheel. Prior to the 1970 model year, Schwinn and Raleigh were about the same, with Schwinn having slightly better durability, better paint work, better brakes, and stronger wheels and stronger frames. Raleigh made some very nice bicycles of this type, even though they are typically only available in conservative colors. Those Raleigh bikes are classy looking bicycles that do not disappoint with their excellent riding characteristics. The SPRITE 5 speeds are very good.
Everyone knows how well built the Sturmey/Archer 3 speed equipped bicycles are. Sheldon Brown has a very useful recommendation about how to really optimize the old 3 speeds for the most practical everyday, ride-it-anywhere, useage.
Too many folks overlook these great old bicycles as being grandma and grandpa bikes. The Lycra and Tight Spandex, Lance Wannabees look at these bicycles as being too slow and too old-fashioned. It is unfortunate that the many folks that would really benefit from riding something such as these old classics, are too self-conscious about being caught seen riding such a Women's, ancient, grandma bike. The conservative colors, and understated classy looks are still near perfect as there are no extremely feminine color schemes or graphics that possibly could make some otherwise unsecure male rider feel embarassed to be seen on a Ladies bicycle. These are fantastic upright Tourist style bicycles for riders of all ages. Sadly, most folks don't realize that. Sure, there are lighter and faster bicycles today that stop faster, go faster and are easier to shift, but other than that, both old and new will provide the rider with a very comfortable ride that they certainly should enjoy.
Old 11-08-19, 09:13 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,762 Times in 635 Posts
I would say buy it buy it now. This bike is as good as it get's for a classic 3 speed and it has a medium preachers step over frame so it well work for most riders.. The saddle and paint look really great I would place the value on this bike at 250-300 which is pretty much top of the hill for 3 speeds, While I would hate to take them off the bike the saddle with matching bag in nice nice is likely worth $100-150.

Last edited by zukahn1; 11-08-19 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-09-19, 09:43 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
What everyone else said. Run don't walk, that looks clean.
Old 11-09-19, 11:47 AM
WGB 
WGB

I left a call with seller who still has it. Will try to get by to see it.
Old 11-09-19, 10:44 PM
Vintage Schwinn

That same craigslisted Buffalo New York , 1971 Green Women's Raleigh 3 Speed BICYCLE is on the bay #254389795371 .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ral...g:EcQAAOSwFOlc

Note that the BIN on the bay is greater than the craig page!
Old 11-14-19, 02:17 PM
brennie 

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia (3Rensho), Mercian, Miyata TripleCross, Specialized StreetStomper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Curious to see what you get for this!
Old 11-14-19, 09:12 PM
WGB 
WGB

Got it today. Pump seal is gone but even had original plastic bag that the Brooks came in!
Old 11-15-19, 04:23 AM
Vintage Schwinn

WGB, congrats, you will really enjoy the Upright Tourist riding position and the ride quality of that Raleigh. When you don't have a need for speed, you can see much more while riding, not to mention that it is easier to turn your head and body to see behind/around/to the side of you, when you're riding Upright-Tourist style. You'll love riding that Raleigh on those riding days where you don't need to go so fast. That green color looks classy and great and foggetta-bout the stupidity of the perception of being seen on a step-through frame that seems to short-circuit the brains of otherwise rational and intelligent men. That large frame Women's-Step through frame will accomodate nearly all men, other than perhaps NBA centers and forwards. Perhaps keep the forum updated with your adventures with the green Raleigh as there are plenty of folks that just are not familiar with just how good those old classic bicycles are, so they just pass them by, as just too old to be any good, without having a clue about them. Once the greater Buffalo area thaws out, in late April, you'll get plenty of fine days, suitable to scenic rides on that Raleigh between April and October. You might get lucky and have a few mild weather days before Thanksgiving. It is a sharp looking, classic that will turn heads and attract attention on organized fun rides and other events. Make certain to LOCK it whenever you park it anywhere. The ancient JC Higgins (sears ) heavy bicycle keyed padlock with hardened steel U part that is about 7 inches long can be found on the bay for about $8 to $12 typically. They are heavy but strong enough that they take a significant amount of time with a hacksaw, or gigantic bolt cutters and a lot of muscle strength to defeat them, unless the thief is an expert lock picker. No joke, those locks were popular in the late fifties and sixties. They are weighty (heavy!!) but they do the job. Search the bay for "JC Higgins" and you'll find several of them..........you'll have to remember that Sears used the JC Higgins name until about 1963 for nearly every Sporting Good item, Hunting-firearms-camping equipment, etc so there will be millions of JC Higgins items on the bay, such that you might need to add bicycle or lock or bicycle lock to JC Higgins.
Whatever you do, when you park it in public somewhere, keep it locked up with something, even if it is a ninety-nine cent Harbour Freight Padlock and a two foot length of steel chain from Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware etc...........just something that might slow down or deter a thief that isn't carrying a gigantic bolt cutter or lock-picking tools.
Have fun with the great green Raleigh!
Old 11-19-19, 01:38 PM
WGB 
WGB

Since the phrase is "pics or it didn't happen"....

I know Wrong side photo!!

I broke two toes on Sunday and I didn't realize I'd photo'd wrong side until I got inside and since it's now set up high on a shelf it will stay where it is.

Ps Here is what happens when people add stuff to bikes - the water bottle cage destroyed the downtube sticker

Lastly, this 1971 with the 1956 that now lives in Ottawa with Ged117. Main difference that I immediately noticed is that the '56 has more stickers, specifically the "All Steel Bicycle" was not on this one.