Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Anyone else built like this?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Anyone else built like this?

Old 08-30-19, 07:58 AM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57
Just to confirm that I'm not THAT crazy, I did a quick search and found quite a few photos of similar forum member's bikes. I'm not alone!

Yep, other people also have badly fitted bikes. No surprises at all.
Old 08-30-19, 10:01 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Sorry I missed this. Yes, my dislike for the bike had nothing to do with fit. All I can say is it was not a pleasure to ride, as my vintage road bikes are. I never got down to analyzing why.
Ah ok. Then it seems to me that you just need a vintage or retro bike with a sloping top tube. That’s one of the biggest innovations in bike fit that road bikes have seen. It’s why the Giant TCR is such a big deal.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 08-30-19, 11:42 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
This is where I am at. I'm baffled at the concept of a bike giving one standover issues, but has half a foot or more of seatpost sticking up. I don't get it.
I understand that you are baffled. But I can't fix that. There are so many variations to bike geometry and human anatomy that trying to stuff a square peg in a round hole isn't always possible.
Old 08-30-19, 11:42 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Answering the Question

To be right for me, my bikes require the low standover height of a 19-20" frame, but a higher seat, and consequently higher handlebars. Finding the right frame size has not been difficult, but I do need to switch out the stem for a longer one. Is this unusual, or fairly common?
@Kross wants to know if this bike fit is unusual. One way to find out is to measure it and compare to what other cyclists prefer.

I estimated some measurements from the photo:

Saddle to crank spindle: 68 cm
Saddle to pedal in down position: 85 cm
Top tube stand over height: 72.5 cm
Saddle to handlebar center: 51 cm
Saddle to bar vertical drop: 0

Comparing several other cyclists with 68 cm saddle-to-crank, I estimate that @Kross is around 5'6" in height.

I see two questions:

1. @Kross claims to prefer a low standover height, but a high saddle position. The photo supplied indicates that this is the case.

Since the estimated saddle-to-pedal distance is ~12 cm more than the stand over height, that's a very large stand over clearance. But is it "unusual"? I certainly wouldn't fit anyone on a traditional diamond frame with that much clearance.

2. @Kross claims to need a long stem to obtain the estimated 51 cm saddle to bars distance. To find out if 51 cm is unusual, let's look at other cyclists preferring the same saddle-to-crank measurement of 68 cm:

With a 51 cm saddle-to-bars and a 68 cm saddle-to-crank spindle, @Kross is indeed an outlier, with only 3 of the 75 cyclists preferring that distance or longer.

Last edited by terrymorse; 08-30-19 at 12:00 PM. Reason: fixed stand over measurement
Old 08-30-19, 11:44 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by sumgy
Yep, other people also have badly fitted bikes. No surprises at all.
That's an assumption. Do I really need to remind you what happens when you assume things?

Last edited by kross57; 08-30-19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 11:54 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by terrymorse
@Kross wants to know if this bike fit is unusual. One way to find out is to measure it and compare to what other cyclists prefer.

I estimated some measurements from the photo:

Saddle to crank spindle: 68 cm
Saddle to pedal in down position: 85 cm
Top tube stand over height: 83 cm
Saddle to handlebar center: 51 cm
Saddle to bar vertical drop: 0

Comparing several other cyclists with 68 cm saddle-to-crank, I estimate that @Kross is around 5'6" in height.

I see two questions:

1. @Kross claims to prefer a low standover height, but a high saddle position. The photo supplied indicates that this is a mistaken notion.

Since the saddle-to-pedal distance is ~2 cm more than the stand over height, that's just about the minimum stand over clearance, so the saddle height is not overly high for that frame.

2. @Kross claims to need a long stem to obtain the estimated 51 cm saddle to bars distance. To find out if 51 cm is unusual, let's look at other cyclists preferring the same saddle-to-crank measurement of 68 cm:

With a 51 cm saddle-to-bars and a 68 cm saddle-to-crank spindle, @Kross is indeed an outlier, with only 3 of the 75 cyclists preferring that distance or longer.
This is so cool I hate to mess with it. Too bad it's incorrect.

I never claimed I needed a longer stem, as in a long REACH stem. I needed a taller stem to get the bars to seat height.

I moved the saddle back after this photo was taken. So any measurements made from this photo on saddle-to-bar distance are also wrong. I guess I now fall further from the norm. I'm OK with that. Normal is overrated.

When I get a chance I can get you the actual measurements.

Last edited by kross57; 08-30-19 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 11:57 AM
kross57

Which is probably why nobody is giving him the good advice that suits what he believes.
I hope I am writing this for the last time. Please pay attention. I DIDN'T ASK FOR ADVICE.
Old 08-30-19, 12:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

There are so many variations to bike geometry and human anatomy...
There really isn't that much variation in human geometry. Your physical dimensions are not unusual — your bike fitting preference is.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-30-19, 12:22 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I never claimed I needed a longer stem, as in a long REACH stem.
Your original quote: "I do need to switch out the stem for a longer one."

There's the confusion. Long describes horizontal distance, tall describes vertical distance.

No matter. Bar drop preference runs the gamut, but regardless of how high or low you want your bars, your saddle-to-bars distance is still quite long for your saddle-to-crank length.

I moved the saddle back after this photo was taken. So any measurements made from this photo on saddle-to-bar distance are also wrong.
I saw your comment and adjusted the dimensions as if the saddle had been moved to center on the rails. Even adjusted, your saddle-to-bars distance is a high outlier.

When I get a chance I can get you the actual measurements.
That would be great. Please include the following:

Saddle top to ground, vertical
Handlebar top to ground, vertical
Saddle top to crank spindle center
Saddle nose to handlebar top center

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-30-19, 02:01 PM
sumgy

I hope I am writing this for the last time. Please pay attention. I DIDN'T ASK FOR ADVICE.
Ok, you asked a question and are not getting answers that suit what you believe.
Old 08-30-19, 02:24 PM
kross57

Your original quote: "I do need to switch out the stem for a longer one."

There's the confusion. Long describes horizontal distance, tall describes vertical distance.

No matter. Bar drop preference runs the gamut, but regardless of how high or low you want your bars, your saddle-to-bars distance is still quite long for your saddle-to-crank length.

I saw your comment and adjusted the dimensions as if the saddle had been moved to center on the rails. Even adjusted, your saddle-to-bars distance is a high outlier.

That would be great. Please include the following:

Saddle top to ground, vertical
Handlebar top to ground, vertical
Saddle top to crank spindle center
Saddle nose to handlebar top center
OK, but I'm thinking saddle nose is kind of arbitrary. Might want to add measurement from top center of seat tube to handlebar top center. Also, top of top tube to ground.

I do need to be careful about "tall" versus "long".
Old 08-30-19, 02:29 PM
kross57

There really isn't that much variation in human geometry. Your physical dimensions are not unusual — your bike fitting preference is.
I didn't say human geometry, I said anatomy. No variation? That's why pants and shirts come in only one size, right?

And, unless you measured me, how would you know what my dimensions are and if they are unusual?

Come on, don't get goofy!

Last edited by kross57; 08-30-19 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 02:30 PM
kross57

Ok, you asked a question and are not getting answers that suit what you believe.
No, I asked a question and I am not getting it answered at all. "Is this unusual, or fairly common?" How does that warrant a full paragraph, or several? That's almost yes or no. Unless you just like to blather on endlessly.

Last edited by kross57; 08-30-19 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 02:35 PM
sumgy

No, I asked a question and I am not getting it answered at all.
I believe you have.
Not directly, but definitely you are getting answers suggesting that you are not the norm.
But it is hard to say whether anyone is "built like this" when all you have posted that would allow anyone to successfully answer that is a picture of what seems to be a very poorly setup bicycle.
If you really want an answer you should provide a pic of you, maybe a pic of you riding the above-mentioned bike, and probably some dimensions (height, inseam, thigh length, lower leg length, torso length, arm length, forearm length, upper arm length).
Old 08-30-19, 02:36 PM
sumgy

And, unless you measured me, how would you know what my dimensions are and if they are unusual?
And how could anyone answer your question?
Old 08-30-19, 03:11 PM
kross57

And how could anyone answer your question?
"Yes, my bike is set up the same way."

"No, I haven't seen one done that way before."

"I have seen that before, but not often."

"I have seen lots of bikes fitted out like that."

Again, it ain't rocket science.
Old 08-30-19, 03:18 PM
kross57

I believe you have.
Not directly, but definitely you are getting answers suggesting that you are not the norm.
But it is hard to say whether anyone is "built like this" when all you have posted that would allow anyone to successfully answer that is a picture of what seems to be a very poorly setup bicycle.
If you really want an answer you should provide a pic of you, maybe a pic of you riding the above-mentioned bike, and probably some dimensions (height, inseam, thigh length, lower leg length, torso length, arm length, forearm length, upper arm length).
It's sad that the idea of what is or isn't a "poorly setup bicycle" is so tightly regimented. Are all bike fit enthusiasts prone to OCD?

And I'm not about to open yet another can of worms by posting my photos and dimensions. I am almost certain to be "poorly setup". Because I'm positive there is an arm length and hair color that is or isn't acceptable.

Please let it go.
Old 08-30-19, 03:19 PM
sumgy

Again, it ain't rocket science.
and yet you have "blathered on", argued back, disputed data, and not provided any additional information asked for.

Here is my answer.
Yes, I have seen lots of people who have badly setup and don't recognise (or don't want to recognise) that their setup is poor.
Again, I cannot answer your original question (and nobody else can either), because you have provided no information whatsoever about how you are built.
At the moment (for lack of any information that tells m otherwise) I am picturing someone with incredibly long legs, incredibly short arms, who is massively overweight and has no flexibility. Given that, my answer is no, I am not built like that, and I don't know anyone who is.
Old 08-30-19, 03:20 PM
sumgy

It's sad that the idea of what is or isn't a "poorly setup bicycle" is so tightly regimented. Are all bike fit enthusiasts prone to OCD?

And I'm not about to open yet another can of worms by posting my photos and dimensions. I am almost certain to be "poorly setup". Because I'm positive there is an arm length and hair color that is or isn't acceptable.

Please let it go.
More "blathering on".
Old 08-30-19, 04:56 PM
kross57

and yet you have "blathered on", argued back, disputed data, and not provided any additional information asked for.

Here is my answer.
Yes, I have seen lots of people who have badly setup and don't recognise (or don't want to recognise) that their setup is poor.
Again, I cannot answer your original question (and nobody else can either), because you have provided no information whatsoever about how you are built.
At the moment (for lack of any information that tells m otherwise) I am picturing someone with incredibly long legs, incredibly short arms, who is massively overweight and has no flexibility. Given that, my answer is no, I am not built like that, and I don't know anyone who is.
Oh god! Make it stop!

Old 08-30-19, 07:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Because statistics, that's how.

Anthropometric studies of the human body have been done many times. For a normal person at a specific height, leg length, arm length, hand size, and torso length all fall within a narrow range. Certainly a narrow enough range to fit on a bicycle specified by rider height.

Also, I've personally gathered bike fit information and fitted thousands of people on bicycles. You're not special or unusual (at least your physical dimensions aren't).

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-30-19, 07:07 PM
sumgy

Wow, you asked people to answer your question, and when I did, you now want people to stop.
I am now convinced this is a troll post, with the only person arguing being you about a topic that nobody will answer to your satisfaction.
Enjoy your tiny bike.
Old 08-30-19, 07:08 PM
sumgy

Anthropometric studies of the human body have been done many times. For a normal person at a specific height, leg length, arm length, hand size, and torso length all fall within a narrow range. Certainly a narrow enough range to fit on a bicycle specified by rider height.

Also, I've personally gathered bike fit information and fitted thousands of people on bicycles. You're not special or unusual (at least your physical dimensions aren't).
I have to admire his unshakable belief that his fit is "normal", and that everyone else is just "blathering on".
Likes For sumgy:
Old 08-31-19, 03:27 AM
kross57

I get that. There are common ratios. At least to a point. But using a standard bike fitting guide, I have the standover height (29") of a person about 5'3". Instead I'm 5'7". To put it another way, if I chose a bike, as you suggest, "specified by rider height", I'd fit comfortably on a 54cm frame. No way! So it's not an exact science. There are enough variations that need to be considered. There are also personal preferences. Some are happy with a zero gap standover. Someone else is more comfortable with an inch and a half. That will impact frame size. Even hand placement on the bars can affect the preferred configuration.

Remember Mark Twain!

Last edited by kross57; 08-31-19 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-31-19, 05:21 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
The OP's bike fit looks pretty typical for a recreational or endurance cyclist. Handlebars are just slightly higher than the saddle. That's why sloping top tubes are used on nearly every bike produced today.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.