Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Switchel Energy Drink

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Switchel Energy Drink

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 07:04 PM
Johnny H.

Bikes: Windsor Dover 2.0 Hybrid,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Switchel Energy Drink

Has anyone tried making homemade Switchel to take along as your energy drink? I'd love to see a few recipes if you want to share them.

Here is one that sounds about perfect.

Taken from 'No Meat Athlete' Author: Matt Frazier and Stepfanie Romine

Serves: About 5 cups (just shy of 1 liter)Ingredients
  •  
    • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  •  
    • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  •  
    • 4 cups (960 ml) water
  •  
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1 cup grape juice
Instructions
  1. Shake then refrigerate overnight and drink.
Serving size: 5 cups Calories: 251 Fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 66 g Sodium: 609 mg Fiber: 0 g Protein: 1 gPreparation Tips:
  •  
    • While you can drink the switchel right away if you’re in a hurry, it’s best to refrigerate it overnight to allow the flavors to mellow and mingle.
  •  
    • This recipe makes an entire 32-ounce pitcher; it’ll keep for a few days in the fridge. I usually store it in a large canning jar with a lid so I can shake it all together and keep it covered as it chills.
  •  
    • If you taste too much apple cider vinegar, reduce the amount in future batches until it’s to your liking.
  •  
    • The recipe scales up or down easily, without affecting taste.
  • One option is to mix everything but the water together and freeze in ice-cube trays, then portion them out into your hydration pack or bottles.
Old 10-02-19, 12:52 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I've made switchel using natural fermentation and adding yeast. It's a nice alternative to sports drinks. But most electrolyte drinks work better.

Posca used by ancient Romans was probably similar to switchel, kombucha and haymaker's punch. Many societies developed variations of fermented, low alcohol beverages based on herbs, grains, etc. Usually a little brine or other salt, vinegar or soured wine, ale, etc.
Likes For canklecat: