Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Strava Bluetooth Sensors no longer supported

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Strava Bluetooth Sensors no longer supported

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 12:45 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Strava's email today that you don't need heart data as long as you use the "effort" slider at the end of the ride is such BS to this engineer that it's really putting me off. I was thinking of getting a Garmin watch to keep using Strava, now I'm thinking of leaving altogether.

Title: No heart rate data, no problem

Perceived Exertion now lets you rate how intense your workouts feel on a sliding scale from Easy to Max Effort. Add it when editing or saving any type of activity you don’t have heart rate or power data for to access Summit features like Fitness and Relative Effort.

Start Your Free Trial
I mean this is just technologically offensive. Replacing measured data with a survey. It's like cable news asking their audience if they believe facts are true. GTFO with this malarkey
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-24-19, 12:46 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

So what do I lose if I leave? Friends, groups, segments, rankings. Worth it? Working on it...
Old 10-24-19, 07:28 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I would love to see that data!
Me too. I think it would be fascinating.
Old 10-24-19, 12:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
So what do I lose if I leave? Friends, groups, segments, rankings. Worth it? Working on it...
You don't even need to leave. If you record your rides with another app or device (one that uses whatever sensors you like) you can still sync or upload the data to Strava and have the best of both worlds.

Personally, I don't see any value (for myself) in Strava except their global heat map. I send them my ride data that will contribute to that map - living in Seattle it's not useful to say I did a ride around the lake, they have a billion of those already, but if I go ride Starvation Mountain or Angles Staircase or something, that will have some effect. And since I benefit from the global heat map, I feel like I should contribute so other cyclists can find good routes, too.
Old 10-24-19, 01:42 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
For me it is not a mater of leaving Strava or not. When heart-rate is no longer recorded I'll just not pay Strava anymore for their premium features (which for me were HR recording and Beacon), but still record rides on Strava on my phone. I also won't bother with buying more devices so I can record HR. I need simplicity for my daily riding.
Old 10-24-19, 03:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

After finding out today about the Relive thing, it seems clear that Strava as a company is at the point in their arc where their user base isn't growing very fast any more and they need to start monetizing us to stay afloat.
Old 10-24-19, 03:55 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
they need to start monetizing us to stay afloat.

I was paying them $60/yr so I could record HR. Now they will be getting $0.
Old 10-24-19, 04:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by noisebeam

I was paying them $60/yr so I could record HR. Now they will be getting $0.
Right. But most people won't leave. the Facebook exodus is in its early years and they can still drag billions out of advertisers to show us crap. Strava hasn't even started selling advertising yet. Dollars to donuts, they will
Old 10-24-19, 04:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

For me it is not a mater of leaving Strava or not. When heart-rate is no longer recorded I'll just not pay Strava anymore for their premium features (which for me were HR recording and Beacon), but still record rides on Strava on my phone. I also won't bother with buying more devices so I can record HR. I need simplicity for my daily riding.
Did you feel like there was much value in HR data? I'm guessing not if you're going to continue without it, but it could be yes, just not enough to justify moving to a different platform?
Old 10-24-19, 05:00 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

There was great value in tracking my HR and noting trends and events especially during the summer. That is why I am annoyed it is dropped. But I really don't want to add another device to deal with. So I will see what it is like without it and then react. I guess I am naively hoping that if I don't upgrade the Strava app it will keep working past Oct. 28 or that Strava will change their mind. Both I realize are very unlikely.
Old 10-24-19, 06:51 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty;21:wtf:178706
.. But most people won't leave.
I plan to. The only way I can cast my vote.
Old 10-25-19, 11:43 AM
Seattle Forrest

There was great value in tracking my HR and noting trends and events especially during the summer. That is why I am annoyed it is dropped. But I really don't want to add another device to deal with. So I will see what it is like without it and then react. I guess I am naively hoping that if I don't upgrade the Strava app it will keep working past Oct. 28 or that Strava will change their mind. Both I realize are very unlikely.
It used to be a manual thing to update apps in Android, now it's just automatic and there doesn't seem to be a choice. I hope you're able to keep this working. Might be and to switch to a different app if not, record with HR, and have it auto feed Strava.