Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not the way to start a day

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 08:20 PM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts

https://www.twincities.com/2019/11/0...riday-morning/

A kid, doing the right thing, in the right place.

Police said the driver of the car was headed east on Diffley Road in the center lane and struck the back tire of Vitek’s bike.

Heartbreaking

Last edited by 100bikes; 11-01-19 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 08:49 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
not the way to start the day is an understatement! killed on the road on his bicycle

not the way to start the day, I was thinking maybe you forgot something, it's much worse
Old 11-02-19, 06:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
lots of credit to a young man riding his bike to school. I did it from 6th grade - high school (on roads). very sad indeed. how traumatic for his family & friends. here's hoping they have strength right now & nothing but the best memories. but right now it must be very painful for everyone close to him

w/o knowing more it's hard to form an opinion. but initially looking at this road view I see decent sidewalk (aka Highline Trail) which I don't normally advocate to ride on. I also see a very straight road which would be tempting to go faster than slower on. there is a road crossing at the Middle/High School. so I'd be tempted to ride the paved "trail" & cross at the light

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-02-19, 07:21 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Just heartbreaking.
Old 11-02-19, 11:22 AM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Aw, gee...

I road my bike to middle school, too. I feel lucky that I wasn't hit by a car as a kid, and that, in that neighborhood, at that time, drivers weren't speeding or driving as fast as many drivers do in my current area.

The article reads to me as though the driver might've been tailgating too close to the kid riding his bike.
Old 11-02-19, 11:39 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
https://www.twincities.com/2019/11/0...riday-morning/

A kid, doing the right thing, in the right place.

Police said the driver of the car was headed east on Diffley Road in the center lane and struck the back tire of Vitek’s bike.

Heartbreaking
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

w/o knowing more it's hard to form an opinion. but initially looking at this road view I see decent sidewalk (aka Highline Trail) which I don't normally advocate to ride on. I also see a very straight road which would be tempting to go faster than slower on. there is a road crossing at the Middle/High School. so I'd be tempted to ride the paved "trail" & cross at the light
Heartbreaking for sure. The parents will feel this loss the rest of their lives.

I didn't see in the article if the victim was riding straight down the road or crossing the road.

As a dad, I would have instructed my middle school children to take their bikes on that wide sidewalk and stay off the road. I don't believe vehicular cycling should apply to children in all circumstances. But that's just me.

Last edited by FiftySix; 11-02-19 at 01:36 PM. Reason: quotes
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-02-19, 01:56 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Prayers for his parents, family, friends and the person involved in the accident.

Such a terrible tragedy.
Old 11-02-19, 03:11 PM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
not the way to start the day is an understatement! killed on the road on his bicycle

not the way to start the day, I was thinking maybe you forgot something, it's much worse
Really sorry for understating this. I am heartbroken.
Watching the local news, this was one of those kids that was headed to greater things.
rusty
Old 11-02-19, 10:43 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Heartbreaking for sure. The parents will feel this loss the rest of their lives.

I didn't see in the article if the victim was riding straight down the road or crossing the road.

As a dad, I would have instructed my middle school children to take their bikes on that wide sidewalk and stay off the road. I don't believe vehicular cycling should apply to children in all circumstances. But that's just me.
The article states that they were both moving along Diffey Road.

Very tragic indeed.

I do wonder when motorists will be held accountable for hitting a bicyclist from behind as motorists are held accountable for hitting another vehicle from behind.

Condolences to all affected by this.
Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-31-20, 11:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
lots of credit to a young man riding his bike to school. I did it from 6th grade - high school (on roads). very sad indeed. how traumatic for his family & friends. here's hoping they have strength right now & nothing but the best memories. but right now it must be very painful for everyone close to him

From the article, “Police said the driver of the car was headed east on Diffley Road in the center lane and struck the back tire of Vitek’s bike.” Looking at the picture above, just can’t imagine a kid riding in the middle of the street/lanes like that.