Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Happy with your Garmin 530?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Garmin 530?
Couldn't be happier. No problems seen.
50.00%
One or 2 problems seen, but still keeping it.
25.00%
Too many problems seen, I'm looking for something else.
25.00%
Absolute garbage. Sending it back!
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 08:30 PM
rozman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm considering buying a Garmin 530.
I've read many threads on the pros and cons with this computer, so therefore this poll.
thanks!
Old 11-05-19, 06:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,435 Times in 2,761 Posts
I only used it for a couple of rides, then returned it to REI. It was very difficult to sync with my phone, probably my fault. I wanted it for turn by turn but could not easily see the cues. Again, probably my problem. I thought I would enjoy the climb pro feature but it wasn't that interesting on our short hills. Maybe for long grades in the West? The side buttons were fiddly to operate while riding. JMO
Old 11-05-19, 08:33 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
You will find Garmin haters for virtually every product they make. With Garmin you are sort of a Beta tester in the beginning. It usually takes them a couple of firmware and software fixes before they settle down. Personally, I really enjoy my 520 and I'm still finding features on it that I didn't know where there. Has it ever froze up on me, yes. Have I ever lost ride data, yes. But I still take it with me on every ride.

If you want a detailed rundown check out DCRainmaker's site. His reviews are quite possibly the best on the internet.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 11-08-19, 04:34 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
My 520 battery life is getting shorter and shorter, I use it often. I can’t decide if I should get a 530 and see if the mapping is actually useful or get a 130 because it has the features I need and nothing extra. I watched DC Rainmakers video review of both. I like the idea of a moving map display where I can see the roads around the one I’m on without needing to pull over and use Google maps. However my experience with the 705, 520, and Etrex 20 always leave me disappointed enough to pull over and dig out the phone for Google maps.

Besides the map I’ll absolutely never need the features to tell me when to drink, eat, or tell me hang time
Old 11-08-19, 05:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Buy it from a place like REI that will allow you to return it if it doesn't meet your needs.
Likes For Seattle Forrest: