Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Outdoor bike rack recommendations?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19, 10:27 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts

My local dentist just asked me about what type of outdoor bike rack he should have installed as part of his parking lot make-over.

The rack would likely normally be occupied by one bike, since I've been parking my bike there every visit over almost 20 years and can't remember seeing another bike there. But he knows that some of his patients ride, and that they live nearby. So a rack that holds perhaps two bikes would seem adequate. I've locked mine to the railing, but he is wanting to have a basic modern bike rack installed over a concrete pad near the entrance.

So I am wondering if there is much consensus as to what constitutes a most user-friendly (i.e. functional) rack these days (hopefully something that is not going to cost tons of money, as it will be somewhat seldom used).

Any recommendations? I suppose that style counts for something here, as it will be right in front of his practice's front entrance and street view.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-19, 10:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
For two or more bikes, the wave rack (with suitable coatings) is hard to beat:

The inverted U rack is another good choice:

Note the additions on these inverted racks. You can add all the frilly stuff you want, as long as you can lean the bike up against the rack and lock it.

Note both of these are just a little tricky to install: you need to leave access room all the way around the racks for the bikes. I've seen a picture of a wave rack right up against a wall -- cut the capacity by at least a half, because you can't put the bike perpendicular to the rack.

Now, for what to avoid. The wheel bender rack is cheap, easy to put in, difficult to lock a bike to, and, as its nickname implies, can damage bikes parked in one quite effectively.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-05-19, 03:34 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Thanks pdlamb for the run-down on what's available. Fortunately the rack can be installed when the cement is poured.
Old 11-05-19, 04:08 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Park-It has a two bike rack that can be buried in concrete.

Old 11-05-19, 05:15 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
It may also be worth discussing with them rack placement. A gym I go to has their bike rack placed in front of a fifteen foot brick wall so that from inside the business it's not visible. Had it been moved a little to the right, it could have been placed in front of a 60' glass wall where patrons of the gym would be able to see their bikes from inside the gym.
Old 11-07-19, 12:04 PM
CharlieFree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
How about these?

These two are in my city, so for a dentist they may be great!

Tooth rack

Dentures rack

Seriously, for functionality I just think the inverted U works best. They accomodate all types of bikes and don't take up a lot of space.
Old 11-07-19, 02:21 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Park-It has a two bike rack that can be buried in concrete.

I vote this. Although I like the HOOPS better - just a little more versatile.

I don't like the ribbons - seems like they were invented by architects who don't ride bikes.
Old 11-08-19, 10:05 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
@DiabloScott, I kind of like the "ribbons." They're installed at my work, and it's easy to get three bikes cross-wise on the double top; I suspect this is a little bit more dense bike parking than you'd get on the inverted U. Theoretically you could get one bike on each side of the U, but then you get so close that you hook the other bike with your bars, or vice versa.

Originally Posted by CharlieFree
These two are in my city, so for a dentist they may be great!

Tooth rack

Dentures rack

Seriously, for functionality I just think the inverted U works best. They accomodate all types of bikes and don't take up a lot of space.
I like those tooth-y racks. Are they well anchored, though? I've read stories of people picking up racks with bikes attached and hauling them off.