Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Adapting klickfix/abus EaZy KF lock holder to other brands, Onguard

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 09:58 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts

I recently purchased more U-locks to use multiple locks on my bike. I decided to go with the Onguard Pitbull / Brute mini locks. However, many online sellers are still selling the version with the old bulky holder while advertising the newer version, as the newer packaging comes with the more practical klickfix/abus eazy kf holder. I was hoping to receive the new version so that I could mount them together with my Abus lock using the same holders. Alas, the Onguard locks I received were the old versions.

The old Onguard holder is really big and requires you to twist the lock 90 degrees to insert it into the holder, which doesn't work with the physical constraints of my bike frame. I took a spare klickfix/abus clamp, removed the inner sleeve, and replaced it with a 3D printed sleeve to fit the Onguard lock.

The Outer sleeve is 17mm round diameter. The inner sleeve comes in 3 versions: 1) 13mm square, 2) 12mm round, 3) 11mm round. The Onguard Pitbull lock is 14mm round, so I 3D printed an inner sleeve with 17mm outer diameter and 14mm inner diameter. The Onguard Brute is 16.8mm round, so it should work with the outer sleeve and without any inner sleeve. If it doesn't fix well, you could wrap the lock with 1 or 2 layers of tape to make up for the 17-16.8=0.2mm difference.

Here are the part numbers for the Klickfix/Abus sleeves. I'm not certain, but I assume the outer sleeve for all 3 models are the same, so only the shape and dimensions of the inner sleeve are different:
- 11 mm round: 45344
- 12 mm round: 45347
- 13 mm square: 45343
https://www.bike-components.de/en/AB...aZy-KF-p22198/

The klickfix/abus eazy kf is the most compact and practical holder I've tried so far. But the holder sells for around $12-$15. Alternatively, onguard appears to sell a similar or licenced version for $5. If you want to use it for other lock brands, you simply need to 3d print your own matching inner sleeve.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 11-09-19 at 11:13 PM.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 11-10-19, 08:11 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I like anything that uses 3D printing technology to make things work. Bravo.