Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Which dahon?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Which dahon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 04:47 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Which dahon?

I'm looking on the dahon website and I'm comparing these 4 models Mariner D8. dream D6 SUV d6, Vybe D7.

The last two are "on sale" and by all indications have better specs than the dream.

Is there anyone familiar with these models to help me decide? My purpose is to be able to transport my bike in the car for urban and utility riding. I want fenders and rack. It's my understanding that the frame on the dream has a tension cable, where the other models have a vice clamp, which I assume is better (the clamp)

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-23, 07:47 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 1,834 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by margoC
Mariner D8. dream D6 SUV d6, Vybe D7
Get the on-sale Vybe. Fine bike, good frame, good clamp, has the new proprietary Deltec cable (this is actually a frame upgrade), adjustable handlepost, has your required fenders and rack, Henry Hon's favorite bike - he rides one to the factory.
Likes For tcs:
Old 06-10-23, 08:17 PM
wesgreen

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
TCS, which raw frame do you think is lighter - the Vybe or the Mariner/Vitesse? Or is the MU frame the
lightest?
Old 06-11-23, 08:58 AM
tcs
Palmer

No idea!

They are both "Dalloy aluminum" (I think this is double-butted 7005 work-hardened aluminum) with HiTen steel forks and "Lattice Forged ViceGrip" hinges. Guessing here: not a lot of difference.

The Mu has aluminum forks - perhaps the lightest bare frame of the three.

My wife's 2008 Mu is still going strong. Here on SD's Mickelson Trail through the Black Hills:

Likes For tcs:
Old 06-11-23, 10:24 AM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks for the replies. According to the specs on the web the Vybe D7 is the lightest.

I also considered the step through frame, I don't think I need the bigger wheels though. I think the fenders may not matter but I want a rack.

I wish there were an easier way to compare specs, it doesn't seem like price is any indication. I'm only 5'4'', I'm thinking that won't play into model choice either.
Likes For margoC:
Old 06-11-23, 12:39 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
The Vybe and Mariner are effectively the same weight. One thing to consider about the Mariner is it has a nicer rear hub with an 8-speed cassette and wider gear range (a lower low for hills), the Vybe uses a 7-spreed freewheel.

The Deltec cable on the Vybe is nice if you're over 220 lbs, otherwise you can live without it and ride the Mariner (note that the Deltec is an extra cable, both bikes use the same clamping system at the middle of the frame).

I don't recommend the step-through Briza, it's heavy and the fold is kinda finicky about where the pedals are placed when you fold/unfold.

My choice: Mariner D8
Old 06-11-23, 12:52 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Adding: If there's any way you can try one first I recommend it (if this is your first folder). A Dahon being folded and tossed in a car can tend to be a rather large and heavy implement even at the lower 26-27 lbs. range. I'm 5'6", 200 lbs. with a dodgy back and none of the bikes you're looking at would work for me as something to fold and put in the large trunk of my Chevy Impala sedan.

I do have a Dahon I like a lot, but I use it as an around-town shopper/cruiser that fits in my small home well.

Last edited by Joe Remi; 06-12-23 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-11-23, 02:23 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Adding: If there's any way you can try one first I recommend it (if this is your first folder). A Dahon being folded and tossed in a car can tend to be a rather large and heavy implement even at the lower 26-27 lbs. range. I'm 5'6", 200 lbs. with a dodgy back and none of the bikes you're looking at would work for me as something to fold and put in the large trunk of my Chevy Impala sedan.

I do have a Dahon I like a lot, but I use it as a around-town shopper/cruiser that fits in my small home well.
Good point. Folding bikes are practical for saving space but they are often heavier. Folding doesn’t always mean easy to carry.
Old 06-11-23, 05:23 PM
tcs
Palmer

The Vybe and Mariner are effectively the same weight...My choice: Mariner D8
Mariner: US MSRP $949
Vybe: US on sale $486
Old 06-12-23, 12:31 AM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by tcs
Mariner: US MSRP $949
Vybe: US on sale $486
Yes, I stated that the Mariner has better parts. Of course the OP can go for the lower price if they want, I didn't interpret the question as one of price but which is the best bike for their needs.
Old 06-12-23, 06:24 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 598 Posts
Yes, I stated that the Mariner has better parts. Of course the OP can go for the lower price if they want, I didn't interpret the question as one of price but which is the best bike for their needs.
I'd go with the vybe myself, then do a few updates. It's a solid deal for that price.