Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Random heart rate jump, then flush feeling, then cold...ideas?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-28-14, 04:25 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

So random question since this would probably be something that my fellow C&A members might experience. Sometimes when riding, but not sprinting, I get a jump in my heart rate randomly, then I get a flush feeling, and then a feeling like I just had a bucket of ice water dumped on me. I am 30, 220, relatively good shape, I commute 8.6 miles round trip every day, ride 20-60 miles on the weekend on longer rides at 18+ mph averages, and I eat OK (definitely not good, but very limited fast/prepared foods, mostly home cooked).

About 5 years ago I had a heart monitor put on that I was supposed to hit a button and it would record my heart rate. After about 6 months and "catching" some incidents the doc said they didn't find anything, I got tired of have to wear the thing so I asked to not have to use it. Well it seems like the same sensation but only happens when riding, I don't feel dizzy and the feelings are gone within a few seconds. I am not particularly exerting myself when it happens but i am not riding slowly, this seems to happen on my commute where I am not really pushing myself.

I did have an unofficial diagnosis about 12 years ago for physical induced dyspnea, which is a panic type disorder where the body acts like you are having an asthma attach when you're not, I had a few of those but that was under a lot of mental and physical duress (Marine Corps bootcamp, which is why I couldn't become a Marine). But I don't have breathlessness. I have a physical in a few days with my doc for my yearly check-up so I will bring this up then, but anyone else have anything like this? I am not looking for a list of things but maybe someone else had something similar and it was something normally overlooked that they had a doctor catch.

And no never any dizziness, numbness or lack of sensation in any arm, my speech doesn't slur and I don't lose control of any part of my body. If anything I am hyper aware of my body reacting like this.
Old 08-28-14, 05:50 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
No clue but my suggestion is to find a doctor who specializes in younger people - you have different issues than old people but that's what most cardiologists work on. maybe see if you can get a stress test done or something. What ever you do, don't ignore your issue.
Old 08-28-14, 06:00 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
No clue but my suggestion is to find a doctor who specializes in younger people - you have different issues than old people but that's what most cardiologists work on. maybe see if you can get a stress test done or something. What ever you do, don't ignore your issue.
Oh definitely not this time, I gave up not listening to my body before because I always ended up in the ER way worse than if I just asked before it got to that point.
Old 08-28-14, 06:01 PM
JanisXenith

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
could it be tachycardia or atrial fibrillation? Do what it takes to find out what is going on.

Last edited by JanisXenith; 08-28-14 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 06:05 PM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're probably already going to do this with your physical, but you should have some tests done. Feeling hot and like your heart is beating fast and then feeling cold later sounds like it could be fluctuations in your blood sugar.
Old 08-28-14, 06:52 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'd say that if you're going to keep riding, get a real HRM and record your HR while riding. Might provide enough clues to track down what's going on.
Old 08-28-14, 08:28 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JanisXenith
could it be trachycaria or atrial fillibration? Do what it takes to find out what is going on.
Perhaps you mean tachycardia or atrial fibrillation?

Originally Posted by Judi
You're probably already going to do this with your physical, but you should have some tests done. Feeling hot and like your heart is beating fast and then feeling cold later sounds like it could be fluctuations in your blood sugar.
A "rapid" fluctuation in blood sugar could take 30 minutes or longer. Based on the OP's description, it sounds like his symptoms may be happening much faster than that. I've been an insulin-dependent diabetic for over 30 years and have experienced quite a few blood sugar fluctuations and never felt the random jump in heart rate that the OP describes.

Originally Posted by achoo
I'd say that if you're going to keep riding, get a real HRM and record your HR while riding. Might provide enough clues to track down what's going on.
I'd give an exercise-related heart rate monitor zero chance of being useful in a medical diagnosis. In order to really get a diagnosis, I think he's going to need a prescription for a power meter
Old 08-28-14, 09:10 PM
JanisXenith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
In order to really get a diagnosis, I think he's going to need a prescription for a power meter
If you are an AARP member Medicare will cover your power meter if you have a doctors prescription.
Old 08-28-14, 09:32 PM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel

A "rapid" fluctuation in blood sugar could take 30 minutes or longer. Based on the OP's description, it sounds like his symptoms may be happening much faster than that. I've been an insulin-dependent diabetic for over 30 years and have experienced quite a few blood sugar fluctuations and never felt the random jump in heart rate that the OP describes.

I was just diagnosed with Type 2 in Feb. and before that I was having symptoms where I'd get very red and sweaty, my heart would pound, then I'd feel cold and need a jacket. Sometimes it was pretty quick. I was having some other health issues at the time, which the OP is definitely not having since he is male, and I don't know which problem my symptoms were caused by.
Old 08-29-14, 06:30 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Time for a trip to the Doctor sooner rather than later.
Old 08-30-14, 08:36 AM
TEMPA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no doctor but if I had to guess I'd say it's ectopic beats / palpitations. I get them reasonably frequently. Slightly different presentation than you but I reckon it will be the same thing. I get a jolt or a bump sensation in my chest when my heart beats abnormally then it rushes a bit to "catch up" and then it settles down again. Only lasts a few seconds at most, sometimes I just get the jolt/jump sensation and that's it. Everytime it happens I then become aware of my heart beat, normally you aren't aware of it so this is also a sympton / side effect. I had a 24 hour holter monitor that picked up seven "episodes". Also had a heart ultrasound and after all this the doctor said it was nothing to worry about unless it became much more frequent. He actually advised me to increase exercise. I just recently bought a heart rate monitor and use that on the bike now just to keep tabs on my heart rate while exercising.
Old 08-30-14, 08:48 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a few weird heart rhythms...sort of like a series of missed beats...would happen at random, I STOPPED taking flax seed oil capsules and it went away. I read somewhere about flax seed oil causing that in some people. At that time my only physical activity as such was work, which IS over 6,000 steps and 20 or more flights of stairs :-). But the arrhythmia or whatever it was would happen when I was sitting sedentary.

Bill
Old 08-30-14, 09:36 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
So random question since this would probably be something that my fellow C&A members might experience. Sometimes when riding, but not sprinting, I get a jump in my heart rate randomly, then I get a flush feeling, and then a feeling like I just had a bucket of ice water dumped on me. I am 30, 220, relatively good shape, I commute 8.6 miles round trip every day, ride 20-60 miles on the weekend on longer rides at 18+ mph averages, and I eat OK (definitely not good, but very limited fast/prepared foods, mostly home cooked).

About 5 years ago I had a heart monitor put on that I was supposed to hit a button and it would record my heart rate. After about 6 months and "catching" some incidents the doc said they didn't find anything, I got tired of have to wear the thing so I asked to not have to use it. Well it seems like the same sensation but only happens when riding, I don't feel dizzy and the feelings are gone within a few seconds. I am not particularly exerting myself when it happens but i am not riding slowly, this seems to happen on my commute where I am not really pushing myself.

I did have an unofficial diagnosis about 12 years ago for physical induced dyspnea, which is a panic type disorder where the body acts like you are having an asthma attach when you're not, I had a few of those but that was under a lot of mental and physical duress (Marine Corps bootcamp, which is why I couldn't become a Marine). But I don't have breathlessness. I have a physical in a few days with my doc for my yearly check-up so I will bring this up then, but anyone else have anything like this? I am not looking for a list of things but maybe someone else had something similar and it was something normally overlooked that they had a doctor catch.

And no never any dizziness, numbness or lack of sensation in any arm, my speech doesn't slur and I don't lose control of any part of my body. If anything I am hyper aware of my body reacting like this.
Does this occur more on hot days? If so, it's related to not keeping cool.
Old 08-30-14, 01:13 PM
firesfate

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with baron. I am a firefighter/paramedic and have been doing the job for 12 years. The symptoms you describe go along with a few things but with physical exertion you could be getting overheated. Your body compensates by going into shock to protect its vital systems which is the reason that you feel so cold. There are however a number of things that can cause this.

Overheated
Panic/Anxiety Attack (Do you have tingling in your fingers or toes?)
Anemia
Dehydration <--- Causes the most issues when exerting yourself, do your lips chap a lot? WATER not gatorade or other drinks
Underlying heart condition <--- Unsustained ventricular tachycardia --- you have a rapid rate for 30secs give or take then back to normal...a-fib very common condition that many people live a normal life with
Electrolyte imbalance <-- bananas do the body good
Do you have or ever had seizures? The hyper awareness makes me think this is possible....and no a seizure isn't always like what is seen on tv where people are flopping around...yes that happens but most are unnoticed.

I could keep going for a while. Anyway is the doc you are seeing a PCP or a Cardiologist? If not a cardiologist, consider seeing one instead of regular doc. Hope this helps and I hope that you get this all figured out.
Old 08-30-14, 01:24 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
fwiw...It can actually be just nerves, I've sworn that I've had something of that sort going and I've simultaneously checked my heart-rate...nothing of the sort. Pangs, twitches, etc..
Old 09-02-14, 02:58 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TEMPA
I'm no doctor but if I had to guess I'd say it's ectopic beats / palpitations. I get them reasonably frequently. Slightly different presentation than you but I reckon it will be the same thing. I get a jolt or a bump sensation in my chest when my heart beats abnormally then it rushes a bit to "catch up" and then it settles down again. Only lasts a few seconds at most, sometimes I just get the jolt/jump sensation and that's it. Everytime it happens I then become aware of my heart beat, normally you aren't aware of it so this is also a sympton / side effect. I had a 24 hour holter monitor that picked up seven "episodes". Also had a heart ultrasound and after all this the doctor said it was nothing to worry about unless it became much more frequent. He actually advised me to increase exercise. I just recently bought a heart rate monitor and use that on the bike now just to keep tabs on my heart rate while exercising.
When I talked to a doc about this before and had a monitor and an in depth ultra-sound of my heart and everything checked out well within any normal specs. And when I recorded the episodes they couldn't find anything.

Originally Posted by baron von trail
Does this occur more on hot days? If so, it's related to not keeping cool.
Originally Posted by firesfate
I agree with baron. I am a firefighter/paramedic and have been doing the job for 12 years. The symptoms you describe go along with a few things but with physical exertion you could be getting overheated. Your body compensates by going into shock to protect its vital systems which is the reason that you feel so cold. There are however a number of things that can cause this.

Overheated
Panic/Anxiety Attack (Do you have tingling in your fingers or toes?)
Anemia
Dehydration <--- Causes the most issues when exerting yourself, do your lips chap a lot? WATER not gatorade or other drinks
Underlying heart condition <--- Unsustained ventricular tachycardia --- you have a rapid rate for 30secs give or take then back to normal...a-fib very common condition that many people live a normal life with
Electrolyte imbalance <-- bananas do the body good
Do you have or ever had seizures? The hyper awareness makes me think this is possible....and no a seizure isn't always like what is seen on tv where people are flopping around...yes that happens but most are unnoticed.

I could keep going for a while. Anyway is the doc you are seeing a PCP or a Cardiologist? If not a cardiologist, consider seeing one instead of regular doc. Hope this helps and I hope that you get this all figured out.
The doc I am seeing tomorrow is my PCP, but I'll ask for a recommendation to a cardiologist. As for when it happens, it is during hot days, and seems to only happen during the really muggy ones too. As for seizures I have never had any that I know of, and I do drink a lot of water daily and try to have a banana a day as well. And I only have tingly toes/fingers on really long rides. Like I went for a 45 miler on Sunday in moderate temps (mid/hi 80s, low humidity) and only had the tingles on the latter part of my ride (last few miles) and averaged over 18 MPH for the whole trip. I had no issues there or Monday when I commuted 27 miles and in some hilly areas, but again the temps were moderate with lower humidity than on the days I had the heart rate jump. And the jump seems to have happened on the same stretch of road on my commute home.

I usually drink about a gallon of water a day, or there about. Electrolytes might be the issue since I don't usually consume anything like that outside of drinks I mix on long rides.
Old 09-02-14, 07:44 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
That's a lot of water, which can dilute your electrolytes causing hyponatremia with the following symptoms:

Nausea and vomiting.
Headache.
Confusion.
Loss of energy and fatigue.
Restlessness and irritability.
Muscle weakness, spasms or cramps.
Seizures.
Coma.

My PCP just about went through the roof when my recent tests showed a sodium count of 120 (very, very low). However, I had been through a vomiting episode as a reaction to Valtrex. He asked me to eat more salt. The retest showed 128, low but OK. Normal is 132-134 or thereabouts. However, I never had any of those symptoms.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-02-14 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 07:50 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
What the OP describes reminds me of a woman I saw in a Denver hospital while doing an EMT clinical last winter.
She had SVT: Supraventricular tachycardia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the punchline: She was not a patient, but a nurse on duty. She was accustomed to these spells, which only lasted a few minutes each, and was not that concerned.
Old 09-02-14, 08:01 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I talked to a doc about this before and had a monitor and an in depth ultra-sound of my heart and everything checked out well within any normal specs. And when I recorded the episodes they couldn't find anything.

The doc I am seeing tomorrow is my PCP, but I'll ask for a recommendation to a cardiologist. As for when it happens, it is during hot days, and seems to only happen during the really muggy ones too. As for seizures I have never had any that I know of, and I do drink a lot of water daily and try to have a banana a day as well. And I only have tingly toes/fingers on really long rides. Like I went for a 45 miler on Sunday in moderate temps (mid/hi 80s, low humidity) and only had the tingles on the latter part of my ride (last few miles) and averaged over 18 MPH for the whole trip. I had no issues there or Monday when I commuted 27 miles and in some hilly areas, but again the temps were moderate with lower humidity than on the days I had the heart rate jump. And the jump seems to have happened on the same stretch of road on my commute home.

I usually drink about a gallon of water a day, or there about. Electrolytes might be the issue since I don't usually consume anything like that outside of drinks I mix on long rides.
Muggy hot means your sweat can't evaporate at a decent rate. Chances are your drenched in it but not getting any cooling effect. Are you wearing sweat wicking type shirts? They help but only so much.

I wear very loose fitting sweat absorbant T's but often pour a couple bottles of water over my head every hour or so on any day with temperature over 85 if it's also humid.

I suspect you are indeed overheating. The symptoms you describe sound exactly like it.
Old 09-03-14, 01:16 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Over heating/ start of heat stroke. The cold chill is a sure sign. Stopped sweating? Drink some gatorade type stuff. As you get dehydrated, the blood gets thicker and the heart has to work harder. So for a 50 mile ride at a good pace, how much are you drinking? 3-4 hours of biking? For 3 hour mt bike ride, maybe 15-20 miles, I go through 100 oz of cold water and 2- 20 oz bottles of gatorade, plus water before and after. For moderate to heavy exertion in summer heat.
Old 09-03-14, 04:03 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by baron von trail
Muggy hot means your sweat can't evaporate at a decent rate. Chances are your drenched in it but not getting any cooling effect. Are you wearing sweat wicking type shirts? They help but only so much.

I wear very loose fitting sweat absorbant T's but often pour a couple bottles of water over my head every hour or so on any day with temperature over 85 if it's also humid.

I suspect you are indeed overheating. The symptoms you describe sound exactly like it.
Originally Posted by Leebo
Over heating/ start of heat stroke. The cold chill is a sure sign. Stopped sweating? Drink some gatorade type stuff. As you get dehydrated, the blood gets thicker and the heart has to work harder. So for a 50 mile ride at a good pace, how much are you drinking? 3-4 hours of biking? For 3 hour mt bike ride, maybe 15-20 miles, I go through 100 oz of cold water and 2- 20 oz bottles of gatorade, plus water before and after. For moderate to heavy exertion in summer heat.

I wear a PI jersey and padded cycling lycra for my commute, which is only 4.3 miles and takes me about 15-20 minutes total. But I do sweat like a beast and perhaps those days hadn't hydrated enough. And I also wear a backpack, I would go to a rack/bag combo but I tried that and absolutely hated the way the bike felt. And I can't fit a normal rack on my MTB because of the disc brakes without spending a lot on a rack itself.

On my longer rides I drink 24 oz an hour of water and try to go through about 12 oz of a drink mix. Never had an issue on long rides.

But to my PCP I go in a couple of hours, going to get this sorted out and see what the next steps are. I am 30 so a bit young to have to worry about this sorta stuff, but years of mistreating my body might be catching up.
Old 09-04-14, 09:30 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So just an update (perhaps someone can learn something).

Talked with the doc about the symptoms of what was happening, when it happened, my current diet and exercise and so on. She felt, as others have said, it could be my body trying to cool off since it seemed to happen on really muggy and hot days while wearing a backpack. However since I had something similar years ago she didn't want to brush it off so she had an EKG done last night. She didn't hear anything with her stethoscope but there was something that the EKG picked up that she wasn't sure what to interpret it as but will talk to the cardiologist when they come in next week. I had my heart measured and such via an ultrasound years ago when this first happened so she didn't think that was necessary again since nothing was found.

My resting heart rate was 54 beats, which she found odd but not alarming. But I have always been sub 60 when resting since I started riding so I am not worried.

For right now she recommended taking it easy when it is hot out, said I might need to increase my salt intake since I drink so much water, and I am getting blood drawn later this week to get a basic metabolic assessment (or something to that effect). Also I need to keep an eye on when/if it happens again and try to make some notes on what was happening, how I felt, how long it lasted and so on.
Old 09-04-14, 10:18 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
So just an update (perhaps someone can learn something).

Talked with the doc about the symptoms of what was happening, when it happened, my current diet and exercise and so on. She felt, as others have said, it could be my body trying to cool off since it seemed to happen on really muggy and hot days while wearing a backpack. However since I had something similar years ago she didn't want to brush it off so she had an EKG done last night. She didn't hear anything with her stethoscope but there was something that the EKG picked up that she wasn't sure what to interpret it as but will talk to the cardiologist when they come in next week. I had my heart measured and such via an ultrasound years ago when this first happened so she didn't think that was necessary again since nothing was found.

My resting heart rate was 54 beats, which she found odd but not alarming. But I have always been sub 60 when resting since I started riding so I am not worried.

For right now she recommended taking it easy when it is hot out, said I might need to increase my salt intake since I drink so much water, and I am getting blood drawn later this week to get a basic metabolic assessment (or something to that effect). Also I need to keep an eye on when/if it happens again and try to make some notes on what was happening, how I felt, how long it lasted and so on.
any options to not use a backpack???? I personally avoid them like the plague.

Old 09-04-14, 12:00 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by squirtdad
any options to not use a backpack???? I personally avoid them like the plague.

I tried a rack and back, totally hated it. I have to use a seat post style system since I don't feel like spending $75 on a specific rack to fit with the disc brakes on my commuter. I also prefer the backpack since I can "feel" the weight on me versus the bike. I rode with a nice Ibera system but the bike handled like crap. Plus I got the biggest bag I could get and it still didn't hold what I need for work and I had to supplement carrying stuff in a backpack anyway.
Old 09-04-14, 07:21 PM
Solare

Bikes: raleigh venture 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to get checked for factor 5 gene. This is the blood clotting gene. When on thinners I would get a sensation in my legs of cool water running down them. It may not be what you are experiencing but it might be. Do you bleed like a stuck pig when you have a cut or do you have that self sealing skin which works like in some sci-fi movies?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.