Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Really? "Spotlight" as best picture?

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 02-29-16, 04:56 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6682 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 86 Posts

Maybe as a documentary...

Oh well, what could we have expected from this Oscar committee?
Old 02-29-16, 05:16 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch! Many better movies.. including The Revenant. Not sure how Spotlight even made the running. It was average at best.
Old 02-29-16, 05:22 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
gena rowlands was recognized, so that was cool.

louis ck's ode/roast of the documentary-short was pretty funny.

and bowie ended the list of the year's honored dead.

but i thought the music sucked. there should be great song and dance numbers at that thing. you know, busby berkeley type stuff with rows of twirling blondes with long legs amid giant sets.
Old 02-29-16, 05:27 AM
late

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 9300 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Didn't watch any of them, and I don't plan to.

There are movies I want to watch.

Martian made the list.

There are movies I like so much, I read the book. Made that one, too. Remember when Americans used to do sh*t besides screw up?
Old 02-29-16, 05:36 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by late View Post
Didn't watch any of them, and I don't plan to.

There are movies I want to watch.

Martian made the list.

There are movies I like so much, I read the book. Made that one, too. Remember when Americans used to do sh*t besides screw up?
It's the dumbing down of the millenials and a good portion of Gen'Xers. The result is catastrophic. Too many uninformed, unskilled people of no faith who latch on to being trendy cause that's all they know. They copy cat. Don't you wonder why there is never anything new idea wise from Hollywood? Critical thinkers are a thing of the past sadly. The majority is OK with the herd mentality and sub par movies though. Glad I filter my water and can think for myself. I gave up cable television over a decade ago. Glad to lose that propaganda machine too. If you rely on TV channels for your news, I feel sorry for you..

Other than me, who else is nauseated by being bombarded by zombie/apocalypse/ outbreak type movies. Ridiculous! Most are so far fetched fictionally they aren't even worth a 5 minute watch. I have struggled to finish watching most new movies. Most are an insult to the viewer if he/she has any intelligence at all.

Last edited by hatrack71; 02-29-16 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-29-16, 07:01 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by hatrack71 View Post
It's the dumbing down of the millenials and a good portion of Gen'Xers. The result is catastrophic. Too many uninformed, unskilled people of no faith who latch on to being trendy cause that's all they know. They copy cat. Don't you wonder why there is never anything new idea wise from Hollywood? Critical thinkers are a thing of the past sadly. The majority is OK with the herd mentality and sub par movies though. Glad I filter my water and can think for myself. I gave up cable television over a decade ago. Glad to lose that propaganda machine too. If you rely on TV channels for your news, I feel sorry for you..

Other than me, who else is nauseated by being bombarded by zombie/apocalypse/ outbreak type movies. Ridiculous! Most are so far fetched fictionally they aren't even worth a 5 minute watch. I have struggled to finish watching most new movies. Most are an insult to the viewer if he/she has any intelligence at all.
Excuse me, but I believe the Oscar committee is NOT made up of millenials, but rather old Hollywood types...

But as to your rant on zombie stuff... yeah, jumped the shark long ago...
Old 02-29-16, 07:09 AM
genec
genec

BTW I did enjoy The Martian, thought however that it might be too "techy" for most... the wife was bored to sleep by it, but my sister loved it too. The book was better of course... but hey, that's usually the case.

For the record, Star Wars was a rehash of the first movie, with a nod to the original actors and merely updated special effects... meh. Not worth admission.

Couldn't believe a third sequel (Mad Max) got so many awards... Guess Hollywood has just "lost it... "
Old 02-29-16, 07:10 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Excuse me, but I believe the Oscar committee is NOT made up of millenials, but rather old Hollywood types...

But as to your rant on zombie stuff... yeah, jumped the shark long ago...

I was referring more to the actors and targeted audience being mostly millenials. Because Hollywood can't seriously think anyone with reasonable intelligence is going to be able to sit through all the mindless dribble being produced today. Could they? I mean, most of the recent movies I've watched I can't even finish because they are such turds. I just don't identify anymore with the young folks in Hollywood or the young folks around here even. Every once in a while, a film will pop up with some of the old Hollywood type actors that I enjoy and a good plot to boot. The one's with real acting ability that are convincing in their roles. And something that challenges you to think.. even after the movie is over. Where did all those flicks go?

Last edited by hatrack71; 02-29-16 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-29-16, 07:19 AM
genec
genec

I was referring more to the actors and targeted audience being mostly millenials. Because Hollywood can't seriously think anyone with reasonable intelligence is going to be able to sit through all the mindless dribble being produced. Could they? I just don't identify anymore with the young folks in Hollywood or the young folks around here even. Every once in a while, a film will pop up with some of the old Hollywood type actors that I enjoy. The one's with real acting ability that are convincing in their roles.
Ah... OK, the target audience of ADHD short attention span youth, that think in 140 character bytes... got it.

Could you imagine them trying to follow the old Hepburn / Tracy type dialog...
Old 02-29-16, 07:22 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah... OK, the target audience of ADHD short attention span youth, that think in 140 character bytes... got it.

You get it!
Old 02-29-16, 07:28 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Couldn't believe a third sequel (Mad Max) got so many awards... Guess Hollywood has just "lost it... "

Oh man, I agree! I have a whole new appreciation for Mel Gibson after seeing the new one. Seems they portrayed the new "Max" as kind of weak. Mel was a much more stand up and comedic guy in the role. And did the new one even have a dog? I always liked Mel's little sidekick.

Last edited by hatrack71; 02-29-16 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-29-16, 07:32 AM
genec
genec

You get it!
Yup, back when movies were good. I could watch that era of movies over and over... like Casablanca.

Most stuff today is just see it once and throw it away.
Old 02-29-16, 07:41 AM
genec
genec

BTW, thought Chris Rock did a great job dealing with the "issues..." 'course Hollywood money still won't care...
Old 02-29-16, 11:28 AM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc View Post
...and bowie ended the list of the year's honored dead. ....
No, Leonard Nimoy ended the list.

Old 02-29-16, 11:36 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Oh man, I agree! I have a whole new appreciation for Mel Gibson after seeing the new one. Seems they portrayed the new "Max" as kind of weak. Mel was a much more stand up and comedic guy in the role. And did the new one even have a dog? I always liked Mel's little sidekick.
Fury Road was incredible. Not only was the story pretty simple and straightforward, but it's just plain fun. You have to remember, there are only a handful of CGI effects, the majority of the movie uses all real effects - they went in the Namibian desert and blew up and flipped cars. It's amazing.
Old 02-29-16, 01:58 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6899 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 196 Posts
Well the Academy is Insiders in the Business. .

there is another award when they surveyed the consumers of Movies , the ticket Buyers ..
Old 02-29-16, 03:11 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to go see Spotlight since I learned that a fellow I went to school with, shared classes and on the same soccer team (Marty Baron) was one of the characters in it.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-29-16, 03:12 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by monogodo View Post
No, Leonard Nimoy ended the list.
bowie and nimoy, then.
Old 02-29-16, 03:19 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yup, back when movies were good. I could watch that era of movies over and over... like Casablanca.

Most stuff today is just see it once and throw it away.
That's because it's a shill to get you to come in and buy popcorn and other snacks.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-01-16, 09:55 AM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc View Post
bowie and nimoy, then.
Bowie, Vilmos Zsigmond, Daniel Gerson, and Nimoy, in order, were the final 4. (Full list)
Old 03-01-16, 12:30 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Liked 96 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
Fury Road was incredible. Not only was the story pretty simple and straightforward, but it's just plain fun. You have to remember, there are only a handful of CGI effects, the majority of the movie uses all real effects - they went in the Namibian desert and blew up and flipped cars. It's amazing.
If you like that sort of thing. I snoozed through it. All action / limited plot/character development puts me to sleep.
Old 03-01-16, 01:24 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
If you like that sort of thing. I snoozed through it. All action / limited plot/character development puts me to sleep.
Not every movie needs to tell viewers the life story and emotions behind the characters. Sometimes it doesn't matter. And the plot was pretty clear - not sure what kind of development you were looking for? It's a straight up action romp.
Old 03-01-16, 01:41 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Liked 96 Times in 73 Posts
I guess I'm just too old to enjoy a straight action romp. 'action' alone does not a movie make. for me.

It's been a few years now that I 'gave up' on superhero entertainmnet (movies, tv). My wife (same age) still enjoys them and watches them with the kids. No more batman, spiderman, marvel, dc, agents of shield, agent carter, gotham, whatever. My family recently 'made' me watch Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy. Meh. Still haven't watched the Avengers movie from a few years ago that was supposed to be the best superhero movie ever.

On the other hand, I do still enjoy many kids movies -- Wreckit Ralph was a relatively recent one I love and can watch over. The Muppets reboot with Jason Segal -- love it to death. The Lego movie is fantastic. Monsters Inc is an old favorite, Monsters U is very good as well.

But I fail to see a distinction between MMFR and, say, Transformers. Except way less CGI, but so what?
Old 03-01-16, 02:40 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Desk Set. Always a favorite of mine.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 03-01-16, 02:46 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
Desk Set. Always a favorite of mine.
The Philadelphia Story.
But my favorite Hepburn movie is, hand down, A Lion in Winter. No one writes like that anymore. And no one can deliver a line like Katharine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.