Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

700c / 29" wheel Adult tricycle UNICORN??!!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

700c / 29" wheel Adult tricycle UNICORN??!!

Old 01-29-18, 05:48 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: Endurance Road, Road, DS Hybrid, Hybrid, Sport MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
How does one go about rotating tires on a tricycle? I'm fairly competent about the process on a 2-wheeler, but this is logrhythmically more complicated.

1. Put newest bestest tire up front
  2. ???
  3. Ride trike
Somewhere in there is an algorithm.
Old 01-29-18, 06:52 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gfk_velo View Post
It depends on what you are prepared to spend.

Because BB height in a trike can be whatever you need it to be, and front wheel / foot overlap is not a massive problem, almost any length of seat tube / reach to the handlebars can be accommodated. It's better if front wheel overlap can be avoided, of course ... but not the close-to-necessity it is on a bicycle.

At Longstaff, we / they have built trikes with full-sized wheels with incredibly low BB step-over heights / saddle heights for riders with specific disability - it's not a low-cost thing to do - but nor is it the close-to impossibility it is on a bicycle.

As mentioned above, you kind of have to forget bicycles in trike-world. It's a bit of an adjustment to make!
I have looked at your bikes before, and if we were on the same side of the world might well have reached out either directly or through my LBS, but my budget makes your trikes a dream, and getting it to the states doesn't help that...
Old 01-30-18, 10:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Quoted: 5460 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by khyricat View Post
The one I am getting has 24" wheels. I'd love bigger wheels, but when I used to do a bike instead of a trike I had to get a specialized frame to make it work due to my short stature, not as easy with a trike.. I'll be at the lowest seat setting of the 24" trike as it's manufactured (I rode a rental for a week).
I hope you choose to keep posting about this. My wife asks now and then, and I know pretty much nothing about trikes ... and the Sun page is pretty worthless as for tech info (for instance, can i add my own BB and rear derailleur without buying their overpriced kit with disc brakes? What is the BB size? can i add an IGH?)

Wife can probably fit on a 24, she is about your size .... but i won't be able to get one for myself to ride guard-dog, i doubt i would fit.
Old 01-30-18, 12:17 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Fixed gear too.

My first smile of the day.
Old 01-30-18, 02:23 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I hope you choose to keep posting about this. My wife asks now and then, and I know pretty much nothing about trikes ... and the Sun page is pretty worthless as for tech info (for instance, can i add my own BB and rear derailleur without buying their overpriced kit with disc brakes? What is the BB size? can i add an IGH?)

Wife can probably fit on a 24, she is about your size .... but i won't be able to get one for myself to ride guard-dog, i doubt i would fit.
don't be so sure you won't fit. Dsis rented a 24" as well- she's 5'8, I'm 5'1, we had the same bike, different seat heights and both loved riding them, so did her kids...