Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Old 02-19-18, 01:46 PM
  #1626  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I abandoned my last car in 1991..
You must live where it is warm year round.
prj71 is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 01:15 AM
  #1627  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
You must live where it is warm year round.
Why?
I've lived carfree in Michigan for more than 30 wonderful years.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 06:19 AM
  #1628  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,526

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Why?
I've lived carfree in Michigan for more than 30 wonderful years.
Do you predict you'll be carfree for the next 5 years?
Machka is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 08:25 AM
  #1629  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Why?
I've lived carfree in Michigan for more than 30 wonderful years.
Yeah...that must of sucked commuting in the winter when it was below zero and blowing snow.
prj71 is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 09:43 AM
  #1630  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
Thread Starter
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,793

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Yeah...that must of sucked commuting in the winter when it was below zero and blowing snow.
Do you have a five year prediction for this thread?
cooker is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 10:19 AM
  #1631  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11,459

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5459 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 79 Posts
I predict this thread will still be active and still be full of posts completely ignoring current reality and in many cases firmly rooted only in science fiction of a denial of established fact.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 01:54 PM
  #1632  
tandempower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,353
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8073 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I predict this thread will still be active and still be full of posts completely ignoring current reality and in many cases firmly rooted only in science fiction of a denial of established fact.
I predict you will continue posting in it despite an obvious rejection of the premise and those of us who respect it.
tandempower is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 02:53 PM
  #1633  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11,459

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5459 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
I predict you will continue posting in it despite an obvious rejection of the premise and those of us who respect it.
I won't let you down.

And I am already planning to use my car for Two Days next month .... first time since Christmas eve.

I promise I will rev the engine at all the stoplights, in your honor.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 03:00 PM
  #1634  
tandempower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,353
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8073 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I won't let you down.

And I am already planning to use my car for Two Days next month .... first time since Christmas eve.

I promise I will rev the engine at all the stoplights, in your honor.
You taunt me.
tandempower is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 03:03 PM
  #1635  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
Thread Starter
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,793

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I predict this thread will still be active and still be full of posts completely ignoring current reality and in many cases firmly rooted only in science fiction of a denial of established fact.
You're welcome to contribute more appropriate content.
cooker is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 03:06 PM
  #1636  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11,459

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5459 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 79 Posts
New LIDAR unit developed by a Silicon Valley company which relocated to Orlando FL to such talent out of UCF's world class optics college. Details to follow.

Too science-fictiony?
Maelochs is offline  
Old 02-22-18, 03:27 PM
  #1637  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6905 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
You must live where it is warm year round.

nope, snows here.. did last 3 days, I have a studded tire fitted bike for that..

Having a car back here was no benefit flying to Europe for a couple bike tours..

When I came back I moved out of a city to a town, friend with a truck..

Next week back above freezing , to rain again.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 02-23-18, 09:20 AM
  #1638  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Do you have a five year prediction for this thread?
Yes. That some of you will still be talking about "living car free" while automobile sales continue to grow.
prj71 is offline  
Old 02-23-18, 09:21 AM
  #1639  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
nope, snows here.. did last 3 days, I have a studded tire fitted bike for that..

Having a car back here was no benefit flying to Europe for a couple bike tours..

When I came back I moved out of a city to a town, friend with a truck..

Next week back above freezing , to rain again.
Sounds like great riding conditions. Where do I sign up?

prj71 is offline  
Old 02-23-18, 07:58 PM
  #1640  
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Posts: 3,808

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Yes. That some of you will still be talking about "living car free" while automobile sales continue to grow.
Well they just started declining

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/0...ww.google.com/
Walter S is offline  
Old 02-24-18, 04:40 AM
  #1641  
tmac100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 940

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
You taunt me.
Ah, the joys of "Freedom" and anonymity
tmac100 is offline  
Old 02-24-18, 10:51 AM
  #1642  
tandempower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,353
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8073 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
Ah, the joys of "Freedom" and anonymity
Trolling sounds a lot nobler when you describe it that way, doesn't it?
tandempower is offline  
Old 02-24-18, 11:17 AM
  #1643  
tmac100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 940

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
Trolling sounds a lot nobler when you describe it that way, doesn't it?
I wouldn't know. I have no opinion on what you just stated. Are you looking in the mirror as you make your (tedious) scribbles?
tmac100 is offline  
Old 02-24-18, 11:35 AM
  #1644  
tandempower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,353
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8073 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
I wouldn't know. I have no opinion on what you just stated. Are you looking in the mirror as you make your (tedious) scribbles?
I get enough petty insults like yours here that I don't have to look in the mirror to see how ugly my writing is to some people. Still, I continue doing my best to say what is good, right, and true because what else would I do with my energy, have a pity party?
tandempower is offline  
Old 02-24-18, 11:50 AM
  #1645  
tmac100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 940

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Insults? Just my perspective about your perspective. You have the freedom to scribble as you wish, and likewise I have the same freedom. Is this not just ONE point of FT?

We have the freedom to have differing opinions and to express them. Freedom to deem differing opinions as insulting is also one's freedom. Now I have the freedom to choose your comment about "trolling" to be flippant, and thus of no consequence to me. Carry on as you wish - it is your life ... You have the freedom to party as you wish - as we all do.

However, I have the right (and freedom) to differ with you if I disagree with your comnent/attitude.
tmac100 is offline  
Old 02-24-18, 11:58 AM
  #1646  
tandempower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,353
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8073 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
Insults? Just my perspective about your perspective. You have the freedom to scribble as you wish, and likewise I have the same freedom. Is this not just ONE point of FT?

We have the freedom to have differing opinions and to express them. Freedom to deem differing opinions as insulting is also one's freedom. Now I have the freedom to choose your comment about "trolling" to be flippant, and thus of no consequence to me. Carry on as you wish - it is your life ... You have the freedom to party as you wish - as we all do.

However, I have the right (and freedom) to differ with you if I disagree with your comnent/attitude.
I understand you have the freedom to insult me by calling my writing 'tedious scribbling' and to imply ugliness by talking about 'looking in a mirror,' but why do you deny that you're saying these things as insults? Does it make you feel even slightly more powerful to deny the insult after posting it? Does it add that much more to the kick you get from disrespecting someone else instead of engaging in constructive discussion?
tandempower is offline  
Old 02-24-18, 12:08 PM
  #1647  
tmac100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 940

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Your interpretation is tedious and based on your emotional interpretation. I don't need to insult anyone -just another "freedom" that I exercise. You have the "freedom" to believe me - or not.

Please allow me the "freedom" to stop this "dialogue of the deaf" and retire for the night. Work calls tomorrow...
tmac100 is offline  
Old 02-26-18, 07:10 AM
  #1648  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
There's always ups and downs. But over the long term the trend is always up.

Bikes aren't the sole means of transportation. Just a select segment of the population choose to do it.

Which is why 5 years from the start of this thread nothing will be different other than there might be more electric and hybrid cars on the road.

True Story.
prj71 is offline  
Old 02-26-18, 11:59 AM
  #1649  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
Thread Starter
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,793

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
5 years from the start of this thread nothing will be different other than there might be more electric and hybrid cars on the road.
Thanks for that.

Actually at the moment the fastest growing segment is e-bikes, so we'll see where that is in five years.
cooker is offline  
Old 02-26-18, 02:01 PM
  #1650  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11,459

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5459 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Actually at the moment the fastest growing segment is e-bikes, so we'll see where that is in five years.
I predict in five years we will be fighting over whether e-bikes a really bicycles .... still.

It is the only segment where I expect much growth. But to Really gain traction cities and suburbs will need to boost cycling infrastructure greatly and until there are a lot more e-bikers, there won't be an y need for that.

If all the pedal-powered cyclists switched to e-bikes ... might get the ball rolling ... but not happening.
Maelochs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.