Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What specific type of car or truck do people who hate cyclists the most drive?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What specific type of car or truck do people who hate cyclists the most drive?

Old 10-25-18, 05:15 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Neither if it's really true.
It hasn't been the case for me, I've been yelled at, honked at, and lectured to about non-existent rules by people of both genders and many races. I do find that it's pickup trucks in rural areas that do things like swerve towards me when I am riding in the breakdown lane, and the drivers of those vehicles in those areas are almost always white men, but I think that just reflects the demographics of those areas. I find drivers in urban areas tend to be a bit better behaved, but that just might be because they have a bigger fear of getting caught if they actually get close to hitting me.
1.stereotypes always have a certain amount of truth to them.
2. It’s kind of a false equivalency because it’s not about the vehicle, it’s about the people. It just so happens that certain types of people are often owners of certain types of vehicles. And in different places, different local cultures, the same types may drive different things.

In the US though, I’m willing to bet a paycheck, that if you polled cyclists across the country, white male, pickup truck drivers would be at the top of the list of offenders. And as a white male in my mid 30’s, who has previously owned a pickup, it doesn’t feel good, but it is what it is.

just like we can argue about foreign terrorists, but we all know that in the US, most people who commit terroristic crimes are white males.

Every time I hear the sound of deep treaded mud tires on pavement behind me, I pull to the right. I take no chances with pickup truck drivers.

Last edited by seamuis; 10-25-18 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 06:51 AM
Drago1010

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc.Cannondale Synapse, Fuji Tread 1.0, Marin Larkspur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
In the city, any car driven by an Uber or Lyft driver. I used to hate cab drivers, now I long for the good old days.
Old 10-25-18, 07:06 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
What an idiotic thread. I've had pissed off people in everything from an Insight to trucks to minivans. I've seen bumper stickers promoting safe driving around cyclists and bike racks on the exact same variety of vehicles.

Originally Posted by Off piste pista
Beat up old American pickup trucks. And the drivers are always white men. This is what the people who are always trying to hit me with their trucks drive.
The last person to scream out the window at me was a black lady riding shotgun in a Caprice Classic, oddly enough on a park road that is slow speed and incredibly packed with cycles that anyone who lives in the area knows is regularly shut down by the park system for human-powered events. I guess I should make some sort of racial inference from that, or is that not the direction you want this thread to go?
Old 10-25-18, 07:16 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Can we then agree that nearly everyone out driving on the road is equally terrible? Well, except for people whose livelihood is based on driving. Bus Drivers are consistently nice, even giving the tiny horn tootle as they approach from behind if they don't have room to move well around. Big rig drivers will wait at an intersection for what feels like an absurd amount of time for a bike, in my experience-- and with inland SoCal seemingly striving to become the giant warehouse capital of the world, we see a lot of semis here.

Now let's go off on a tangent-- who where has been coal-rolled? <raises hand>
Old 10-25-18, 07:39 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
So, in general, I don't have a lot of trouble riding in traffic. It's not too often that someone will make a dangerous pass. Happens maybe once or twice a week? I have been buzzed by many makes and models of cars. Today it was a Camry that merged to the right into my lane and would have hit me had I not hit the brakes and swerved, BUT I would say that the intentionally aggressive, a$$hat drivers are more likely to be driving a BMW, a pickup truck (particularly Dodge or any make of diesel pickup) or any of Dodge's modern "muscle cars."
Old 10-25-18, 07:59 AM
Divad
Tourist

Bikes: Santana tandem, etc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I live, like everywhere, most drivers are courteous. However, when a driver tries to intentionally menace or intimidate cyclists, they are most likely in large modified (jacked up) pick up trucks- more so if they are diesels. And they are almost always young, and probably white.

Coal rolling seems to be a popular pastime too.
Old 10-25-18, 08:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis

1.stereotypes always have a certain amount of truth to them.
2. It’s kind of a false equivalency because it’s not about the vehicle, it’s about the people. It just so happens that certain types of people are often owners of certain types of vehicles. And in different places, different local cultures, the same types may drive different things.

In the US though, I’m willing to bet a paycheck, that if you polled cyclists across the country, white male, pickup truck drivers would be at the top of the list of offenders. And as a white male in my mid 30’s, who has previously owned a pickup, it doesn’t feel good, but it is what it is.

just like we can argue about foreign terrorists, but we all know that in the US, most people who commit terroristic crimes are white males.

Every time I hear the sound of deep treaded mud tires on pavement behind me, I pull to the right. I take no chances with pickup truck drivers.

OP wasn't stereotyping, though, merely stating the facts of his/her own experience. When Coffesnob quoted OP, he/she left out that sentence. Otherwise, I think this post of yours is pretty much in line with my observations.

I do sometimes wonder if some of this is people who really don't have the driving skills to drive a truck poorly executing passes, but when they also yell obscenities out the window or just scream nonsense, it tends to clear up the issue.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-25-18 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 08:13 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
:
Old 10-25-18, 08:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Can we then agree that nearly everyone out driving on the road is equally terrible? Well, except for people whose livelihood is based on driving. Bus Drivers are consistently nice, even giving the tiny horn tootle as they approach from behind if they don't have room to move well around. Big rig drivers will wait at an intersection for what feels like an absurd amount of time for a bike, in my experience-- and with inland SoCal seemingly striving to become the giant warehouse capital of the world, we see a lot of semis here.

Now let's go off on a tangent-- who where has been coal-rolled? <raises hand>

I've encountered jerk bus drivers and big rig drivers as well. Buses with the try to speed up to pass me right before a stop thing, which is just ridiculous because it can't possibly get them to the stop more than a second faster (and yes, I know to stay out of the blind spot--it's intentional), and a big rig driver who air horn blasted me because I had taken the lane when there was no shoulder on a very slow road and he was 75 feet behind me and in no danger of having to slam the brake. The difference in our speed was so small, btw, that after I moved over to let him pass on the flat, I passed him again struggling to get his load up the hill and never saw him again.

Some of the nicest encounters I've had with drivers, btw, have been conversations I've had with pickup drivers waiting for a light at intersections.

I'd say about 95% of drivers I encounter are perfectly decent, and many of them are downright courteous. I just know that for every 100 miles or so I ride, I'm going to encounter the other 5% at least once.
Old 10-25-18, 09:00 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
OP wasn't stereotyping, though, merely stating the facts of his/her own experience. When Coffesnob quoted OP, he/she left out that sentence. Otherwise, I think this post of yours is pretty much in line with my observations.

I do sometimes wonder if some of this is people who really don't have the driving skills to drive a truck poorly executing passes, but when they also yell obscenities out the window or just scream nonsense, it tends to clear up the issue.
ive been pushed off the side of the road, nearly (purposely) run over, had drivers purposely pull toward me into a bicycle lane, had diesels ‘roll coal’ many times. All of these have been white males in trucks. I wouldn’t say any of them lacked skills, but instead lacked maturity and empathy for the lives they are purposely putting in danger. Why they are all truck drivers I don’t know, but as I already said, I live in the south, so I’m not surprised.

i would lump bad drivers into two categories:
1. People like these truck drivers
2. People who lack skills or who are distracted and/or frustrated behind the wheel.

the first type purposely endanger people seemingly for a laugh, the other just have bad encounters and vent anger or frustration. (As cyclists we know this feeling as well). The first type are probably the most well known and most hated, but in the big picture it’s the second type that’s broadly, far more dangerous. Getting back to my earlier rant about the need to get back to the understanding that driving is a privilege not a right. The first type are most likely to end up in prison and without a license at some point anyway.
Old 10-25-18, 09:25 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Pick up trucks.

This one in particular, a serial offender on local roads.

Last edited by woodcraft; 10-25-18 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 09:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I don't have many unpleasant encounters on the bike. Old folks present issues just because they often don't get it. Middle aged, out of shape, white males are the angriest group of drivers. Their weapon of choice is more often than not a full sized GM product.
Old 10-25-18, 09:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
The other side of this coin. Mt trip to Colorado this summer convinced me that Subaru drivers are the most respectful of bicyclists. I made 3 trips down the same 25 mile long stretch of 55 MPH state highway this summer and have made many more in the past. The road has nice shoulders. I use the center of the shoulder. Almost every Subaru driver would move well into the oncoming lane to go around me. Almost everyone will at a minimum favor the left side of their lane. This simmer I had 3 vehicles ride on or cross over the fog line. One Toyota P/U and two full size GMs. Rural CO has the most courteous drivers I have ever encountered.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7211...!7i3328!8i1664
Old 10-25-18, 09:45 AM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
No statistical data to back this up, but when I see a driver making an egregiously bad move in traffic whether I'm driving a car or a bike, there is a highly disproportionate share of Dodge products - Rams, Chargers, Challengers, even some of the smaller cars. Doesn't extend to Chrysler-branded vehicles for some reason. BMW drivers often drive like the world owes them something as well, on the highway, but I rarely encounter them on the bike. Dually pickups are pretty bad too, especially the mini semi rig styled ones - the people driving those seem to have real psychological problems. Otherwise it's a mix.
Old 10-25-18, 10:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
that guy who mowed down people on the NYC bike route,
rented it from home despot.
Old 10-25-18, 10:39 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Usually any vehicle with at least 4 wheels......
Old 10-25-18, 10:40 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
The real reason BMW drivers drive that way is because it's the only way to drive to a BMW if you don't know how to handle it. I find that most BMW drivers around here appear to have switched to Audis.
Old 10-25-18, 11:03 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Only twice has someone blocked me, gotten out, and accosted me. Both times it was an overweight white male smelling of booze and driving an old, very large, sedan of unknown brand.

The ones that bother me the most are the ones who give me LOTS of room at the expense of the oncoming cars. I wish they'd think to wait a few seconds; while it's nice that they give me the clearance, I don't want to be hit by the shrapnel, either! I think all types of car are represented in that group.
Old 10-25-18, 11:36 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
interesting observation....

the cyclist that seem to have trouble. Have an abundance of trouble.

while other cyclist the bad interactions with 4 wheels with steering wheels is Rare and totally random.

while geography might play a part, I have to wonder if it isn't more of a Bad attitude attracts a bad attitude problem.
Old 10-25-18, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
This thread would be much more entertaining if it were in A&S.
Old 10-25-18, 11:39 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
young people and really old people pass too close
Old 10-25-18, 11:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Would drive.

Um...what was this thread about again?
Old 10-25-18, 11:58 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Um...what was this thread about again?
Trolling for gross generalizations and stereotypes. and netting a rich haul.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-25-18 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 12:06 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
What's the point of this thread?

.If you knew the answer for sure, what are you going to do about it?
Old 10-25-18, 12:24 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Worst experience I had with a driver, gal was in a Prius plastered with bumper stickers. She clipped my elbow (no injury, fortunately) and pulled over in front of me and let me have it for taking up space on her road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.