Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Uber

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Uber

Old 05-28-19, 04:45 PM
SoldSpartan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uber

What steps do you have to go through to book an Uber ride to pick you up?
Old 05-28-19, 05:59 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 78 Posts
here
Old 05-28-19, 06:27 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 45 Posts
I use Lyft, because Uber does not work well with some Android type phones. Just download the Lyft app and follow the simple instructions. It works very well in my area, and I usually catch a ride within a few minutes of making a request. I only use it during the day, and it might be harder to catch a ride home from the bar at 2 a.m. (side note-I accidentally typed 'ride hoe' at first; kinda fits...)

Once you have the Lyft app, you just click the icon, click 'request a ride', wait 15 seconds or so, and accept the ride offered. Then, it will show you an animated map with your car on the way, and a countdown clock.
Old 05-28-19, 08:26 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 3388 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
Has anyone used it for bicycle SAG? Got a flat the other day and had a hell of a time getting the tire off. Finally got it or I would have been sunk.
Old 05-28-19, 08:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 181 Posts
So far I've used only Uber, although I have the Lyft app. Works great. Better than the old yellow taxi service.

I've needed an Uber three times since last year, always to get to medical appointments on short notice or when the city bus was off-schedule. Service is quick and affordable. So far my drivers have balanced an attitude that's simultaneously professional and personal -- casual banter during the ride.

Pay and tip through the app, no need for cash. Couldn't be easier.

In contrast when I'd call the local old school yellow cab service, they'd either say they don't serve my neighborhood (a lie), don't have a driver available, run late, have surly drivers and charge as much as Uber and Lyft for worse service. There's a good reason why Uber and Lyft exist. Traditional cabs drove themselves out of business.

In my area the yellow cab service appears to exist mostly as an independent contractor for the city bus service, supplementing the city's small buses/large vans for disabled folks with wheelchairs and walkers or who need skilled assistance. The city drivers are great but some of the yellow cab drivers remain surly and disinterested in helping clients. Some local churches and charities also pitch in as contractors and they generally do better than the yellow cab drivers.

So even with the one remaining viable business opportunity, the old yellow cab service fails. Reminds me of why Walmart took over so much of rural America. They didn't merely steal jobs from the local economy. The problem was the local businesses failed to adapt. Happy customers don't abandon good small businesses. But they will abandon indifferent, overpriced small businesses in favor of the cheap and impersonal Walmart experience. Same with Uber and Lyft. They filled a niche that was abandoned by traditional cabs and left vacant by inadequate public transportation.
Old 05-28-19, 10:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 8487 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Has anyone used it for bicycle SAG? Got a flat the other day and had a hell of a time getting the tire off. Finally got it or I would have been sunk.
Once, yeah. I called the large one to make sure my bike would fit. The guy wasn't thrilled, but took me where I was going.
Old 05-28-19, 10:19 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
They don't like luggage and they don't like bikes. But, if you order Lyft XL you should be fine.

I've used Lyft on long urban runs if I suffer achy legs around half way. Better than walking miles back, but I try to dry off a bit before getting in their nice, clean car.
Old 05-30-19, 05:26 PM
SoldSpartan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So do you need a smart phone (something I lack)? What about getting a taxi; what do I need to get one of those?

Last edited by SoldSpartan; 05-30-19 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-30-19, 11:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by SoldSpartan View Post
So do you need a smart phone (something I lack)? What about getting a taxi; what do I need to get one of those?
Once you get a smartphone you may wonder how you did without it. That was my experience. Never thought I'd need or want one until I got it in late 2017. But it enabled keeping in touch with my mom's health care team during her final year in hospital, nursing home and hospice. A lot of that was communicated through her health network's mobile app, or texting.

With conventional taxi services and city transit I wasted a lot of time and paid data on voice calls. It wasn't unusual to be on hold for up to 20-30 minutes. With Uber and Lyft it's streamlined. The driver might call or text if they can't find you, but due to the nature of smartphones they can often pinpoint a customer's location within a few feet or yards, and both parties are able to see which side of a building they're on. Helps minimize misunderstandings.

Texting is much quicker and easier on a smartphone than any keypad phone -- I use Swype or similar utilities that enable swiping a fingertip across the screen with smooth continuous motions to form words. The app learns from the user so it gets quicker, easier and "smarter" with use. Many folks prefer texting and may be more likely to respond to texts than voice calls or voicemail.

Even with an affordable smartphone unit the service can be pricey, usually at least $25 a month, which is pricey for some budgets.

The cheapest service I've found is Freedom Pop, which offers totally free plans with minimal service that's adequate for an emergency phone, up to a plan that costs $50 a year with unlimited talk and text and 1 GB data per month. I used their free service for several months before getting the $50/year plan. That's my backup phone for my old iPhone 4s.

There are some drawbacks to FreedomPop. It's VOIP -- voice over internet protocol -- rather than true cell service. Voice quality is lower, and there may be some lag times between rings and voice. But it works and is affordable.

The main trick to watch for with FreedomPop is their aggressive marketing scheme that pushes new customers into upgrading by default to their premium plans, after trying one month free. So be careful to avoid being billed for services you don't want. With the $50/year prepaid plan this hasn't been a problem. It was a problem only with their "free" SIM plan, but I got it straightened out.
Old 05-31-19, 01:45 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 94 Posts
My late uncle just autopatched his Yaesu mobile amateur radio transceiver into the repeater at Schafer Butte near Boise and called the hospital about his grandfather from his 1979 Pinto. You modern people anyway. Car phones were for Steve McGarrett.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 06-05-19, 08:12 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How I catch an Uber? Call John Deere and immediately they send out a tractor pulling a hay wagon to pick me up. Then it's a 30 mile ride at 8 mph to where I can catch a bus, another 15-20 miles by bus which will drop me off in the bad part of town. 5 mile walk to the city and there's my Uber waiting for me
Old 06-05-19, 10:26 AM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Until these ride services can pick up with a phone call they won't get my business.
Old 06-05-19, 10:32 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
I have and the driver was fine with it. We put the bike in the trunk and he drove me home.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-05-19, 11:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Until these ride services can pick up with a phone call they won't get my business.
That's what I thought until I got a smartphone and tried Uber. It's much more efficient than voice calling the local yellow cab service. The yellow cab voice call method could take up to 20 minutes and repeated calls in some areas that were underserved or the drivers avoided.

And so far the Uber drivers have been better in every way. Prompt, courteous, reasonable prices for quick and efficient service.

Another big difference is driver expertise. That's largely due to the mutual feedback system used by Uber and Lyft. Some of the worst, rudest and most flagrantly reckless drivers I've ridden with are conventional cab drivers. There's virtually no accountability and complaining has zero effect.

But Uber and Lyft drivers are subject to feedback from passengers (and vice versa, so drivers can avoid notoriously abusive passengers). Consequently the drivers are much better. No crazy racing and lane changes in heavy traffic, etc.

That's one reason why the local yellow cab company mostly does contract work for the city public transportation service, mostly as a backup for passengers with mobility impairments -- wheelchairs, walkers, etc. I accompanied my disabled mom on many medical appointments over a decade and usually dreaded seeing a yellow cab pull up rather than the city van. The city transit system drivers were generally excellent, patient with disabled passengers, good drivers, etc. The cab contractors were a mixed bag, with many of them indifferent or outright rude and impatient with clients. And too many of them drove like traffic was combat -- our city traffic isn't bad enough to provoke that kind of driver behavior.
Old 06-05-19, 11:35 AM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

I have a dumb phone for calls and a iTouch with wifi for data. But I can't use it while on the road as it needs wifi.

I have never had an issue calling for cab or with ride quality, gets to me in 5min or less in the city or more commonly exactly to my scheduled pick up time with a 1min courtesy call to let me know they are soon arriving.
Old 06-05-19, 02:07 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
Uber is too expensive. My 7-mile ride to work would cost $15. So round trip is $30.

I ride my bike is free.

A bus ride of that distance would cost like $2.

Uber is not a good idea, if you are interested in saving money.
Great thing about a free market is that we can all choose among available options based on our own unique situation, preferences, and priorities. Gotta love supply and demand.

Old 06-05-19, 04:20 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I am sure they are now rushing to change their business model just to get your business.

I'm wating for party line crank phone to be supported before I pull the trigger.
Old 06-05-19, 04:23 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

But that is not its purpose. The purpose is convenience.

Compare cost of car ownership to Uber and I will bet Uber beats the cost for the average person.
Old 06-05-19, 04:23 PM
noisebeam
Al

I didn't mean it as a boycott to drive a business model change, only as my personal preference.
Old 06-05-19, 04:51 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It broke $45 today.
Old 06-05-19, 07:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 8487 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 262 Posts
Uber is too expensive. My 7-mile ride to work would cost $15. So round trip is $30.

I ride my bike is free.

A bus ride of that distance would cost like $2.

Uber costs less than parking for some trips when I can't bring my bike inside with me or leave it out, or for dates.

There's $17 per hour parking a block from here.
Old 06-06-19, 04:05 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6682 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 86 Posts
Apparently Uber/Lyft work well in cities and perhaps near suburbs, but further out... better have a hay wagon connection.

I could not get the Uber app to work on my Samsung S5... no matter... seems everytime I need a ride, I'm in hay wagon territory... like Benbrook, Texas, for instance. (No relation to Bedrock)

Engineer colleagues in SF, San Diego and San Jose love Uber, so it is quite dependant on your locale.

Last edited by genec; 06-06-19 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 05:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9017 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 407 Posts
I've never downloaded an app in my life.
Old 06-06-19, 09:08 AM
Will G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used Uber a few times in a few different countries. As far as saving money goes, my personal best is flying to Florida to visit my folks and the easiset way is to fly into Ft. Walton Beach, rent a car, and drive to see them. I can rent a car for a week from the Ft. Walton airport or I can take Uber, spend $9, for a ride to another rental car place just 10 minutes down the road and save $200 renting off airport. I've also discovered airports in foreign destinations usually charge an additional fee for metro connections to the airport and Uber is cheaper when you factor that in with my wife traveling with me.
Old 06-06-19, 12:55 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I've never downloaded an app in my life.
Your mother must be so proud.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.