Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

On a budget but want to start touring...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

On a budget but want to start touring...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 11:12 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bikenh
Make your own panniers. Check online for instructional pages on making kitty liter bucket panniers. You can get the buckets at the local dump and reuse them for some useful, like bike touring.

Keep using the kitty liters and ride longer. Why improved on something that works. Instead use something that works and save the money and ride further.
I use these. They are awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/Wald-Rear-Bic...SZ7H9FG3W6BNVT
Old 07-25-19, 09:14 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
Can you give a link as a reference to one you are suggesting? I would like to know. Thanks
I've used Arno Straps since the early 1980s. They are like extra long toe-straps and have a great metal buckle. I use the 48" long ones. I did not know that Wal Mart sold them and here's a link to the 60" ones for only $6.14 for two of them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coghlan-s...traps/41768354

Here' an image of the 48" I use.

I know they used to come in 24" and 36" lengths as well as the 48" and 60" lengths. These straps are STRONG and don't stretch when going over rough surfaces. I was touring with a friend who was using bungee cords to secure his panniers and other gear. his panniers bounced of a few times and he was amazed that the Arno straps kept my panniers from falling off. He borrowed a couple of mine and then bought some for himself when we got back from that tour. Btw, that was touring on rough logging/mining roads in Norther Ontario Canada.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-25-19, 09:18 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
Well, one hurdle has been passed. I picked up a BoB Yak Plus setup from a guy off Craigslist, for $100. It's in good shape (with some dings here and there) and the only thing missing was the Quick Release, which I ordered off Amazon for $25 and change. Once I get the QR I can attempt to attach the trailer to my road bike.

As to gear such as sleeping bag, tent, etc., I am also into wilderness backpacking, so I have lightweight/medium-weight tents, a couple of mummy bags, and cooking gear. Some of it is a bit high-end, purchased when I was much better off, financially. I've been a member of REI since I was 15 or 16 years old. I'm currently 49.
More hurdles will be the hills and/or any inclines over things like freeways. What gearing do you have on your bike now?

Cheers
Old 07-25-19, 03:37 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
Two problems...mine are waterproof and mine didn't cost me anything other than going to the dump and picking up someone else's trash.