Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How much do you use your GoPro / Garmin / other action camera?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.
View Poll Results: How much do you use your action camera?
Every ride.
11.11%
Most rides.
11.11%
About half the time.
5.56%
On special occasions -- not most of the time.
38.89%
After the new wore off, I stopped using it.
16.67%
I don't have an action cam, but I wanted to check a box.
16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 10:41 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I'm thinking of buying an action camera, but I'm wondering how much I would really use it after the "new" wore off. I'm curious. For action camera owners, how much do you use your cameras? How do you use them? Are they a "security camera" for recording miscreant drivers? Do you do a video blog? Are you making videos from interesting segments of your ride? The idea seems very cool, but I wonder how much they really are used.
Old 08-08-19, 11:02 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I chose "every time"

I have my gopro on my bike 100% but I don't record all that much. I have it on there for just in case situations or to catch my son doing funny or whatever.
I do record all my fun rides/events just because you never know what your going to see but yeah I don't think I have ever created a video that was just so awesome I had to show everybody. I have some on my youtube channel to show family from out of state but nothing really just "epic". I did have a deer jump across my trail once that was pretty cool.

When my gopro does puke out on me I wouldn't buy another one. Just not worth the money for me anyways. Gopro stuff is nice though, mine has been an excellent camera.
Old 08-08-19, 11:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I'm thinking of buying an action camera, but I'm wondering how much I would really use it after the "new" wore off. I'm curious. For action camera owners, how much do you use your cameras? How do you use them? Are they a "security camera" for recording miscreant drivers? Do you do a video blog? Are you making videos from interesting segments of your ride? The idea seems very cool, but I wonder how much they really are used.
I ride 98% of the time with my GoPro recording. I use the footage about 5% of the time. Typically, I capture something I find funny or exciting; I create a video for most of my races; and when I was commuting to an office daily, it typically captured dangerous drivers. However, my home office arrangement allows me to ride routes and times that avoid most of the car conflicts.

My YouTube channel isn't exciting stuff, but you can get a feel for what gets edited and posted: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDT..._as=subscriber

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-08-19 at 11:27 AM. Reason: fixed link
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-09-19, 02:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Most rides. One of the very few times in three years I didn't was the day a car hit me.

The biggest PITA is swapping cameras and mounts between bikes. I'm trying to settle on a mounting system that makes it easier.

Unfortunately the collision last year reinjured an old neck injury (broken C1 and C2 in 2001). So I can't tolerate the weight of a camera on my helmet anymore. That would be the most transportable.
Old 08-09-19, 03:51 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I just do it for fun. Apeman camera from Amazon that I bought for my son. Chest mount, I like the prospective that it gives with the bars in frame. I am no pro for sure, I am just trying to figure out how to edit, etc.

Last edited by mynewnchome; 08-09-19 at 03:58 AM.
Likes For mynewnchome:
Old 08-09-19, 04:28 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
On a sportive, no.

But at all other times I will always use both the rear-facing Cycliq Fly6; and the front-facing Cycliq Fly12, I'll use that 90% only because for quick runs to the shop it's not as easy to take on and off.

It's for "incident protection", there's little point in having them if you don't use them.
Old 08-09-19, 04:32 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
...I am just trying to figure out how to edit, etc.
I'd suggest Shotcut, it's free and open-source.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/shotcut