Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Light and wire for generator hub?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 02:14 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts

A bike I just picked up came with a spare front wheel. It’s a Shimano Alfine hub, I’m not familiar with these. What’s a good light, and who sells them with the wire kit?
Old 08-08-19, 02:18 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/
Old 08-08-19, 04:36 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
In addition to the light and wire, you likely need one of these too.
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-3C41-.../dp/B001EIAZVQ

Peter White likely sells those too. Peter White website has a huge amount of information on how to wire them, etc. Expect to spend some quality time on his website.
Old 08-11-19, 06:54 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I like the Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ Premium Cyo T Senso Plus that Peter White sells. The photo he shows of the illumination pattern is accurate as far as my experience.The "T" includes a feature whereby during daylight a double LED is kept lit (if you select the T setting) making you more visible from the front. I think it's particularly useful on bike paths which in our area are often shady and makes my approach visible from quite a distance. The "Senso" feature means that in the "T" setting the full beam will come on when it gets dark enough. If you go through a tunnel for instance, the full night time beam illuminates automatically. It comes with full wiring for itself and a tail light if you want one.
Old 08-14-19, 06:59 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I've gotten great use out of my Busch and Muller(B&M). It's a fantastic light. I went through xxcycle. Even with shipping to the US, it was significantly cheaper than buying in the US(as with lots of euro bike parts). We have such a markup here... If you want to spend the money, they have at least one model that will charge your phone, etc.
https://www.xxcycle.com/dynamo-front-light,en.php

Wiring is so simple you'd hardly have to look anything up. Maybe just watch a quick youtube video on how to do it? Basically you just attach the connector onto the end of the light wire and plug it in. It's simple. I'd go with 50lux or more. Please be responsible and stand in front of your bike with the light on full to make sure it isn't pointed into the eyes of oncoming traffic, cyclists, pedestrians, etc. This is such a huge problem where I currently live. Blinding people doesn't keep you safe. If you go with a quality light like a B&M, it won't be a problem anyway. The light is directed down to light the road in front of you, not blasting out everywhere in front of you. You're gonna enjoy dynamo life! It's great!
Old 08-14-19, 10:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
.... Please be responsible and stand in front of your bike with the light on full to make sure it isn't pointed into the eyes of oncoming traffic, cyclists, pedestrians, etc. This is such a huge problem where I currently live. Blinding people doesn't keep you safe....
On some lights the standlight uses different LEDs than the main beam. On those lights, if you are not moving the main beam would not be lit when you "stand in front of the bike with the light on full" because you need to be rolling for the dynohub to power the light.

Instead I always try to set my beam so that it just barely is high enough to show in the taillight reflectors on the parked cars in front of me as I ride.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-14-19, 04:36 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by hilltowner
I like the Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ Premium Cyo T Senso Plus that Peter White sells. The photo he shows of the illumination pattern is accurate as far as my experience.The "T" includes a feature whereby during daylight a double LED is kept lit (if you select the T setting) making you more visible from the front. I think it's particularly useful on bike paths which in our area are often shady and makes my approach visible from quite a distance. The "Senso" feature means that in the "T" setting the full beam will come on when it gets dark enough. If you go through a tunnel for instance, the full night time beam illuminates automatically. It comes with full wiring for itself and a tail light if you want one.
I have this one too, for several years now. I love it.
Old 08-20-19, 09:24 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
As other have mentioned, try some of the German retailers.

The B+M Cyo T Premium is a very good one for the price, so is the B+M IQ-X.
Old 08-20-19, 10:36 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Check out www.bicyclehero.com. They have an extensive listing of B&M and Axa dynamo lights, front and rear. I recently purchased a Blueline 30 switched headlight for around $18 and a blueline tail light for around $10. The headlight is small but amazingly bright. The tail light is comparable in quality to the B&M Toplight line for significantly less money.
Old 08-26-19, 09:13 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by 3speed
I've gotten great use out of my Busch and Muller(B&M). It's a fantastic light. I went through xxcycle. Even with shipping to the US, it was significantly cheaper than buying in the US(as with lots of euro bike parts). We have such a markup here... If you want to spend the money, they have at least one model that will charge your phone, etc.
https://www.xxcycle.com/dynamo-front-light,en.php
I will say that I have bought some items, including dynamo-related products, from Europe and saved money, however, I bought my B&M light from Peter White because for the money I was spending, I didn't want the additional hassle of overseas shipping if I needed to deal with a warrantee issue. And I was glad I did. I will still buy from overseas especially because Europe has many more options for dynamo solutions than the US, but if Peter carries it, and it costs a significant amount of money, I'll buy from there to simplify a return. On the other hand, some of the lower-priced items can be so much cheaper that it's worth the risk. My dynamo tail light cost nearly half what I would have paid domestically, so even if I have to replace it once, I still haven't lost out.
Old 08-26-19, 09:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I've had a few B&M headlights. They are all outstanding.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-26-19, 10:10 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by noglider
I've had a few B&M headlights. They are all outstanding.
I've had one, or two, depending on how you want to count. My Luxos U failed while under warrantee and was replaced. The replacement broke, but did not entirely fail, shortly after going out of warrantee. The handlebar switch used to toggle light options and charge via the USB port ceased working and eventually fell off. The headlight still works, but no more USB charging, no "high beams," and no simple toggling between settings. When I toggle settings at the light, it can take some trial and error to get the light back on. If I leave it on full time, it's great and puts out an impressive amount of light. I would buy another B&M light, but not combo light+charger like the Luxos U.
Old 08-26-19, 10:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
My experience with dynamo lights is similar to the experiences of others. Once I installed them, I wondered why I had waited so long. It's so nice to have lighting just from rolling. And modern lights have standlight circuits, so the lights stay lit for a few minutes after stopping. The hub weighs a bit more than a regular hub, and it presents a small amount of drag, but I don't notice these things when I ride. It takes some time to install things, but it's an investment that pays off. And some are nervous about getting the lights stolen while the bike is left unattended, but this turns out not to be a problem, even in high-bike-crime New York City. I'm not sure why. As far as I can tell, bike thieves carry cable cutters but not wrenches. They just don't bother stealing bolted-on lights. They do take lights that can be removed by hand.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-31-19, 09:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
My chosen light combo would be the Busch and Müller IQ-X front light and Toplight Line Brake Plus Light and Peter White is a perfect place to get them if not from your local shop. I also have used the Supernova E3 Pro 2 and tailight (which does not have a stand light so you need to use the Supernova front light) which are great lights as well but I think the beam is a bit better on the B&M stuff. If charging is your thing The Plug V would be what I would choose. I think it looks the cleanest and is most practical for charging and kind of wish it was out when I bought my Sinewave version (nothing against Sinewave but the integrated bank and the sleeker look is nicer)

Peter can also help with wiring and has a lot of useful info. Also Shimano Di2 wire covers work really well to cover and protect dynamo wires as well if you don't have internal routing and don't want to drill a steel frame.