Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day - New to Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 10:48 AM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just purchased the Breezer Liberty 1.3+ 2018 and will start my commuting lifestyle shortly! My only hold up is the bike had to be shipped to my local store, and unfortunately the front fender was bent (it's thin plastic). The shop is ordering a new one, so I'm waiting for the new fender to show up... so now I have to wait to get my hands on the new bike - feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning! The bike shop mechanic has offered to bring his heat gun in to straighten the fender out, but I think I'd like to just get a new one that is straight from the get go.... but waiting is so hard!!!! I'll post a picture as soon as it is my possession!

I did want to pick some of your brains a bit - the bike has a Racktime Light-it Touren (Racktime Snap-IT platform) bike rack - are some of the other bag systems compatible with this rack system? I'm looking at eventually getting a bag that will snap in to the rack, if possible, to carry my work cloths and lunch. I like the idea of it snapping in, but if I have to tie it down, then so be it.

Just a bit about me - I love biking and just moved to an area of town that has great bike trail access and started to ride a lot more often. I typically ride a road bike for fun, but wanted something a little more relaxed for commuting and general cruising. My ride to work will be approximately 10 miles each way, with 90% of this on a paved bike path. I'll be parking the bike in the parking garage, next to the attendance gate, so it's a little more secure. There is a gym at the office that I plan on joining to use their shower, but all in all, my commute will be about 10 mins longer, but way more enjoyable!

Thanks for your help!
CrewFan
PS - I know this is a hot topic, but I do wear a helmet - my helmet is bright orange and I wear it everywhere!

Last edited by CrewFan; 08-15-18 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 08:30 PM
CrewFan

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Bike is finally here! I took it our for a short 6 Mike ride and it's super comfortable. Unfortunately they had to order a new front fender, but I'm going to start commuting 2-3 times a week and add the fender when it gets in.

Still need to get a brighter headlight for dusk/dawn rides and some spare tubes.
Old 08-15-18, 09:16 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Nice! Looks like a big gear range. I almost bought a similar bike three years ago, but with drop bars. It came with fenders, rack and generator lights. I went with a skinny steel-frame bike that just felt a little more "right", but I would be very happy with the bike you chose (except I can't ride straight bars anymore).
Old 08-17-18, 01:00 PM
CrewFan

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Nice! Looks like a big gear range. I almost bought a similar bike three years ago, but with drop bars. It came with fenders, rack and generator lights. I went with a skinny steel-frame bike that just felt a little more "right", but I would be very happy with the bike you chose (except I can't ride straight bars anymore).

The bike does have a nice wide gear range and I've had a lot of fun on just riding around the neighborhood getting use to it. I wasn't sure I would like the flat bars but they are actually quite comfortable (may be my middle age body speaking). I'll start actually commuting on the bike next week (I've been fighting the flu this week). I'm very impressed with the bike so far - especially the 42 tires! - and I'm excited to start riding in to work a few time a week.
Old 08-17-18, 01:50 PM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 2 year old Breezer Greenway which is the older version of the Liberty but didn't come with the rack or fenders. It has been a great commuter and tough as nails. Good panniers can be pricey. If the rack isn't compatible it wouldn't cost much to replace. Enjoy your commute.
Old 08-29-18, 07:05 AM
CrewFan

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2 weeks in and I'm loving the bike and commuting in to work. Ride is about 40 minutes each way, mostly on bike paths, so not a lot traffic to contend with. The only major addition I've made was adding this bag: Vaude Comyou Shopper and it's perfect fit for my cloths and lunch. I'll get a picture of it on the bike tomorrow.

I'm still waiting on the replacement fender though... apparently they don't have extra fenders laying around

Last edited by CrewFan; 08-29-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-29-18, 08:12 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by CrewFan
2 weeks in and I'm loving the bike and commuting in to work. Ride is about 40 minutes each way, mostly on bike paths, so not a lot traffic to contend with. The only major addition is I've added this bag: Vaude Comyou Shopper and it's perfect fit for my cloths and lunch. I'll get a picture of it on the bike tomorrow.

I'm still waiting on the replacement fender though... apparently they don't have extra fenders laying around
Just about perfect. I really enjoyed my 10-mile commute on mostly bike path before moving closer, and I often miss it.
Old 09-06-18, 07:31 AM
CrewFan

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It really is just the right distance for a commute... Having a gym across the street where I can shower is the bonus that makes it possible! it doesn't hurt that I get to ride along the river a good portion of the way.
Old 09-10-18, 01:50 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Looks a lot like my bike :-)

I remember ...
A new bike, and especially waiting for it — that is a sweet time yeah.

‘n joy!
Old 03-22-19, 01:31 PM
dmitchell

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So CrewFan, after 6 months, what do you think of your new Breezer? I'm considering one of those myself.

Dana
Old 03-23-19, 07:58 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by dmitchell
So CrewFan, after 6 months, what do you think of your new Breezer? I'm considering one of those myself.

Dana
Yes, @CrewFan...how's it going?
Old 08-09-19, 03:16 PM
CrewFan

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oyo - @BobbyG and @dmitchell

Just giving a bit of a follow up - sorry it's been late coming (moved recently and I'm still unpacking life). I have been using the bike for just under a year and still really enjoy it and have increased my commute to 15 miles each way. I've got just under a 1k miles on it and really have no complaints. I did have an issue with my front fender coming in bent (plastic wouldn't straighten out), but I got that sorted out. I find the Liberty a bit heavy, but considering all the extras (rack, dyno lights, etc) that is to be expected. I have not had any really issues with it and it keeps trucking. My brother in law also got one of the Breezer Beltway bikes and loves it. He also uses it to commute about 10 miles each way and has had the same view. His bike a bit lighter, but doesn't have rack or dyno lights...

To be critical, the bike shop I got it from was a bit sloppy putting the bike together (performance), but as they were starting to get rumors of closing, I guess they were a bit distracted. Regardless, I had to work with them to get a few quirks worked out that were mostly just dialing the bike in to make it more comfortable for me.

If I were to do it again, I would buy a Breezer for sure, but maybe opt for the Cafe Doppler bike
Likes For CrewFan:
Old 08-09-19, 03:24 PM
BobbyG

Just giving a bit of a follow up - sorry it's been late coming (moved recently and I'm still unpacking life). I have been using the bike for just under a year and still really enjoy it and have increased my commute to 15 miles each way. I've got just under a 1k miles on it and really have no complaints. I did have an issue with my front fender coming in bent (plastic wouldn't straighten out), but I got that sorted out. I find the Liberty a bit heavy, but considering all the extras (rack, dyno lights, etc) that is to be expected. I have not had any really issues with it and it keeps trucking. My brother in law also got one of the Breezer Beltway bikes and loves it. He also uses it to commute about 10 miles each way and has had the same view. His bike a bit lighter, but doesn't have rack or dyno lights...

To be critical, the bike shop I got it from was a bit sloppy putting the bike together (performance), but as they were starting to get rumors of closing, I guess they were a bit distracted. Regardless, I had to work with them to get a few quirks worked out that were mostly just dialing the bike in to make it more comfortable for me.

If I were to do it again, I would buy a Breezer for sure, but maybe opt for the Cafe Doppler bike
Thanks for the update!
Old 08-12-19, 07:55 AM
dmitchell

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently saw a Doppler Cafe in a Scheels store. What about that bike appeals to you more than the Liberty? just curious
Old 08-12-19, 08:32 AM
CrewFan

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dmitchell
I recently saw a Doppler Cafe in a Scheels store. What about that bike appeals to you more than the Liberty? just curious

Now that my commute has increased, the doppler cafe looks to be a touch more aggressive and would be a bit more suited for my 15 mile commute (each way). When my commute was 10 miles or so, the I found the Liberty a perfect fit, but with the extra distance, I find myself sometime wishing for a little more aggressive nature to the bike. Also I think the Doppler Cafe's look sexy