Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Lezyne new GPS units look interesting

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Lezyne new GPS units look interesting

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 12:14 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdjclevland

I have not noticed any yet. I ended up sending mine back. I got sick of having to upload a map every time I wanted to go somewhere different that was out of the range of the map I was in. I also could not get any computer to recognize the device. The lack of auto sync is also annoying as hell. I want this done for me I don't want to hook the thing up to my computer. Not saying the device is bad, just did not find it athat user friendly compared to others and little things were annoying me
Sounds like user error to me. The device is very easy to use and auto sync works fine.
Old 08-16-18, 12:41 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim
Just noticed this: https://barflybike.com/collections/s...r-fly-4-mounts

Didn't realise third-party mounts were available. Nifty!
That only took them about 3 years. That was one of my gripes when I was using the Lezyne, no third-party mounts.
Old 08-16-18, 02:35 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ksryder
That only took them about 3 years. That was one of my gripes when I was using the Lezyne, no third-party mounts.
I found mention of it going back to 2016, so I think it’s actually been around for a while. This is the first I’ve noticed it though.
Old 08-16-18, 02:48 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Barfly kept saying it was on the way on their website for a long time, but was never actually available by the time I switched to Wahoo in 2017.
Old 08-16-18, 03:27 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah, that would explain it.
Old 08-22-18, 12:27 AM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just noticed this: https://barflybike.com/collections/s...r-fly-4-mounts

Didn't realise third-party mounts were available. Nifty!
Well, I picked up one of the Bar Fly Lezyne modules along with a Bar Fly Mini, and... I'm underwhelmed:
  • Compared to the Lezyne out front mount it's bulky and has fiddly moving parts.
  • The notches which engage with the tangs on the computer aren't quite wide enough, so it doesn't snap into place properly when attaching. It is secure, but you have to line up the computer just right and then pull it up to make it lock in properly.
  • It seals up the speaker port on the bottom of the computer so that it can hardly be heard. The Lezyne mount has a hole to allow the sound out.
  • It has no drainage holes and looks like it will fill up with and retain water.
I was hoping to use the Bar Fly to hold both my computer and headlight (via the GoPro mount), but I ended up going back to the OEM mounts for both devices. The final straw was having to reroute my brake cables since the Bar Fly mounts on the opposite side to the Lezyne out front mount (not a fault with the Bar Fly, but still annoying).
Old 03-26-19, 04:46 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
With the Lezyne Mega series, after transferring a route, can you power off the device, power it back on, and then open from the local memory storage the same route, or any other route previously transferred, without having to reconnect the smartphone and resend the route from the app?
The Lezyne support page wasn't very clear:
https://support.lezyne.com/hc/en-us/...ne-Connection-
Under "briefly needs a phone", there is "Loading a navigation file". But I don't see under "Doesn't need phone ever" whether or not you can open a route that was previously loaded.

I was thinking about getting a Bryton 450, which has OSM maps. You can transfer GPX files to the internal storage by USB cable from your PC, then open the route directly from the device. The Bryton Active app doesn't let you do it over bluetooth. The website interface also fails to import GPX files for syncing with the app. The website always returns a "fail". They don't read TCX files either. But I think you can reload any previously sent route from the device, without having to reconnect with the smartphone app. Which is something I hope the Lezyne Mega can do.

The Bryton 450 also has better GPS with options of GPS+GLO or GPS+BDS and QZSS and Galileo. 35 hour battery. But supposedly their customer support is almost non-existent.

On the other hand, Lezyne has better support, much better route creation in their app, and wider third party compatibility.

Otherwise, I might stick with Oruxmaps on my phone and buy a powerbank, and get a cheap, long battery life bike computer with ANT+ for reading speed and cadence. Oruxmaps can also connect with the sensors with either ANT+ or Bluetooth, but my phone doesn't have ANT+. If I have a dual band sensor, can I connect both Oruxmaps with Bluetooth and the bike computer with ANT+, at the same time?
Old 03-27-19, 06:46 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa

i definitely considering upgrading to the mega xl even though I recently got the super gps. I like the super gps but the screen size is just a tad small.
Small? You should see the micro I have, it's made for young eyes. I recently bought a super so I could actually read it...lol
Old 03-28-19, 05:23 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I got my answer from Lezyne. It's not possible to load a route from internal memory. If you power off the GPS device and then turn it back on, you have to reload any route again from the smartphone app. It means that the device cannot navigate completely independently from the start of a ride.
Old 08-15-19, 11:32 AM
mynewnchome

Super....PRO? Hmmmmm.....they slipped that one in there. Just saw it.

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/super-pro-gps

Old 08-15-19, 05:20 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
Super....PRO? Hmmmmm.....they slipped that one in there. Just saw it.
I wish they'd made it a bit smaller. A more svelte Super GPS with a better screen would tick my boxes.
Old 08-15-19, 06:49 PM
mynewnchome

I wish they'd made it a bit smaller. A more svelte Super GPS with a better screen would tick my boxes.
That's a mini in my picture. It's smaller than the super.

Old 08-15-19, 06:56 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
That's a mini in my picture. It's smaller than the super.
Much harder to read at a glance though (smaller/thinner font) and it's still quite fat.

My benchmark is the Garmin Edge 130. It's small and slim and the screen is extremely readable. I can easily read the 130 screen without backlight in conditions that require the backlight on the Super.

The downsides of the 130 are the battery life, laggy UI and I prefer the Lezyne phone app. Such first world problems
Old 08-28-19, 07:58 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
I got my answer from Lezyne. It's not possible to load a route from internal memory. If you power off the GPS device and then turn it back on, you have to reload any route again from the smartphone app. It means that the device cannot navigate completely independently from the start of a ride.
This doesn't seem to be the case with Super Pro. From Main Menu of device I can go to Navigation\Route Start. There's no selection so not sure if it just loads the last route, or if each route gets over written so only one available at any given time. Currently I've only tried to load one, but it is available after power cycle without using phone.
Old 08-28-19, 08:28 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Only two rides in, but so far pretty impressed with Super Pro. My point of comparison is Garmin 200 which I broke in hiking incident recently. It comes in at a price point between what Garmin 200 had been and Garmin 130, but closer to the 200. It blows the 200 out of the water in features. The 200 while basic was solid and reliable for years, so yet to see if Lezyne can match that.

I like that the Super Pro can be sent maps. While navigating you have the following views:
1. Map with route overlaid and your position, turns pop up by distance, no data fields
2. Cue sheet turn by turn by street names, shows next 2 turns, shows a couple of data fields
3. Normal data screen, turns pop up by distance

I like the Ally app, it makes configuration and handling ride files very easy. No usb cable required. A little disappointed firmware has to be updated by usb though through mac or windows. Not sure how garmin handles that, never had to deal with it.

I like how the GPS Root site displays my routes and data. I'm not in it for social media or competitive reasons so have no Strava or RideWithGPS accounts. I do my planning of routes in plotaroute. I also like the live tracking. It didn't work first try, but I suspect it's because I turned off phone too soon after starting to record so didn't trigger the email. I got an alert to enable app, but didn't feel like stopping. Later I started another record with phone unlocked and it did send the email. Will try another real test tomorrow. Upon further thought if didn't send the email, it likely won't send the updates. May need to leave unlocked or look at options for having it run in background.

I've read there's been some issues with long routes, but generally longer than I typically ride. Also recent firmware update, so maybe that's been addressed.

Last edited by gear64; 08-28-19 at 08:42 PM.