Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did I over buy with a Specialized Roubaix Sport?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-17-19, 07:20 PM
rubynewbie

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL 6 Womens’s and 2018 Cannondale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 8 Posts

Hello everyone. I am a 53 yr old 200# (and dropping 1-2 pounds a week on a diet) 5'3" woman new to cycling. Due to being on a new prescription that carries with it an increased chance of blood clots, heart attack, and stroke (yay) I am following my Dr.'s advice and starting to exercise more. I have been riding my old way-too-large bike but really feeling like I would enjoy the activity more if I had a better bike more suited to road cycling and that actually fit me. So I went to a local bike shop yesterday where I tried some bikes out and came home with a brand new 2019 Specialized Roubaix Sport. My question is, did I over buy? My husband is extremely angry that that I spent $2430 on a bike to get exercise on and also says that the carbon fiber frame is not only an excessive waste of money for my level, but also it won't hold up, especially under my weight. What do you experts say? Did I make a mistake in my purchase? He says I should return it (don't even know if I can) and get something 1/2 the price. I bought it with my own money, not his, he is just angry and thinks I am an idiot for buying such a high end bike. I posted this in the introduction section as well.
Old 08-17-19, 07:35 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
It's not that much money if you like it and it makes you want to ride it. Doesn't it have a warranty? Don't worry about the frame holding up.

My mountain bike is carbon fiber, cost more than that, and I haven't been able to break it yet.

My road bike cost more than that and I bought it used.

Last edited by big john; 08-17-19 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-17-19, 07:39 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
If you enjoy it and ride it enough the benefits you get from better health .will more than justify the cost.have many good miles on it
Old 08-17-19, 08:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This isn't a bike question but a marriage issue. We are being asked to take sides in dispute between husband and wife. Nobody here can referee a relationship between husband and wife.

Carbon fiber holds up with plenty of burly men riding them hard but that doesn't change a thing about this issue. Whether it was too much money and why your husband is angry is something you have to work out with your husband.

I'm going to give this advice/opinion - there is no such thing as "my money" and "his money" in marriage. Marriage is either a 100% union where we put the other before self or it isn't a marriage.

I hope things work out.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-17-19, 08:53 PM
rubynewbie

Originally Posted by TimothyH
This isn't a bike question but a marriage issue. We are being asked to take sides in dispute between husband and wife. Nobody here can referee a relationship between husband and wife.

Carbon fiber holds up with plenty of burly men riding them hard but that doesn't change a thing about this issue. Whether it was too much money and why your husband is angry is something you have to work out with your husband.

I'm going to give this advice/opinion - there is no such thing as "my money" and "his money" in marriage. Marriage is either a 100% union where we put the other before self or it isn't a marriage.

I hope things work out.

-Tim-
While I completely understand and appreciate your point, I really am interested to know if I bought over my head or not. I have no problem returning this bike tomorrow and exchanging it for something different if it's warranted. My husband and I know next to nothing about bikes other than what we have been googling for a couple of days. One debate/disagreement/spat is hardly going to make or break us and I am just looking for opinions from those with cycling knowledge. If I am going to exchange this bike I would like to do it tomorrow. I already missed one day of riding over this and really hate to miss tomorrow too.
Old 08-17-19, 09:18 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
If you are going to stick with road cycling, then NO, you absolutely did not over buy. I ride a 2008 Roubaix, when I bought (used) it I was 220#. Now almost six years and 35,000 miles later, I am 196#, all my blood numbers have improved and in the last six months even my blood pressure is finally improving and I have dropped one med for this. And my Roubaix? Still rolling. I’ve bought new wheels for it, regular maintenance of course, but the frame has held up fine. And I rented a new Roubaix a few months ago, they are great bikes. A quality bike with quality components will last a long time, the components are amazingly reliable, and once you have it dialed in and fitted you will be amazed at how far you can go.

I hope you find you enjoy it and stick with it. Hopefully your husband will support you in this. FYI my wife rides about 25% of the riding I do, but I bought her a similar level bike to yours (Liv/Giant Avail Advanced 2), just because a better bike is nicer to ride, shift and brake, and lighter weight to lift in and out of the car. She’s had it four years now and is still riding it a couple times a week, she has lost weight as well, so I call that money well spent.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 08-17-19, 09:32 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Nobody really needs a $2,500 bike just to get in shape. Nice aluminum frame bikes are available for well under a thousand dollars. I always advise people to start with something like that. You can get a better bike later if you want one.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-17-19, 09:39 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Your husband is being hurtful, inconsiderate and selfish.

Keep the bike, ride the bike, lose the weight...and then (if your husband continues to give you grief) find someone who will be more supportive of your health issues and of your efforts to take care of yourself.

I know, I speak from personal experience. BTW, cycling is a wonderful exercise for your health issues. In the past 6 years I have lost 60 pounds, lowered my A1c and at my last check up, my cholesterol levels are so low that my doctor took me off statins...completely!

Good luck and ride safely (and take care of your heart, both physically and emotionally)

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 08-17-19 at 09:45 PM.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 08-17-19, 09:43 PM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Too much bike?

It all depends on you. If you end up riding it a lot, it will be a great bike.

If you (or hubby) consider $2300 kind of rich, you can still find a very good bike for half that. And if you ride that one a lot, it too will be a great bike.
Old 08-17-19, 10:32 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
It's all relative. Yes, it's more bike than you "need." But you probably have more car than you need. If cash is tight, a bike for half that money will do you fine. But although it's a nice bike, it isn't crazy nice or way more than you should have. There's nothing wrong with having nice stuff. If you ride it a lot, the cost/mile makes it seem cheap. And if you enjoy the bike, you're likely to ride it more.
Old 08-18-19, 05:39 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Cost is all relative to your situation. When I got my Carbon, 105-equipped Cannondale a few years back, the compromise was my wife could get a "free" ex-show dog. The dog came with health bills and ate like a horse. We probably "invested" $15k in his health and maintenance until his death. That was 10x the cost of the bike.

The frame will hold up. Enjoy your ride. You only live once.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 08-18-19, 05:48 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I don’t believe you overpaid for the bike but as pointed out earlier in this thread, it sounds like a sub $1,500 aluminum framed bike would suit your needs just as well.
There are a few very nice offerings in that price range and as all bikes depreciate terribly there really is no downside imo.
If you decide to make the switch I would suggest posting here one more time asking for which models are your best option in that range.
The bike shoppers around here are very knowledgeable and up to date.
Some of them just happen to suck at answering a simple question and would prefer playing marriage counselor

Last edited by downhillmaster; 08-18-19 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 06:06 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rubynewbie
While I completely understand and appreciate your point, I really am interested to know if I bought over my head or not. I have no problem returning this bike tomorrow and exchanging it for something different if it's warranted. My husband and I know next to nothing about bikes other than what we have been googling for a couple of days. One debate/disagreement/spat is hardly going to make or break us and I am just looking for opinions from those with cycling knowledge. If I am going to exchange this bike I would like to do it tomorrow. I already missed one day of riding over this and really hate to miss tomorrow too.
My wife and I had a bicycle shop many year's ago. Adults came in, I asked questions, made recommendations then added --- IMO, buy what you can afford and feel comfortable and HAPPY with since YOU DESERVE IT because you EARNED IT.

OVERBUYING ??? WHY CERTAINLY at this time and level of riding you're at but so what!!! If it's comfortable and you FEEL GREAT riding it, everybody else's opinion means diddly-squat.

NOW GO RIDE YOUR BIKE AND ENJOY!!!!..............enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 08-18-19 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 06:11 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
If you didn't feel the cost was excessive...Ride it and enjoy it.

Congrats on your successes!
Old 08-18-19, 06:50 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
My wife is a recreational cyclists. When she retired she went out and bought a pink Colnago road bike. There was nothing wrong with her Devinci MTB but she fell in love with the Colnago and it fit her perfectly. (The $sum of my 5 bikes is less then her new bike) She rides it lots, is much healthier and happier.....Happy Wife Happy Life.

rubynewbie...you bought a bike that fits properly, looks nice, will get you riding more and with you're own $$$. IMO you should keep it. Enjoy it. You deserve it!
Old 08-18-19, 06:53 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
The problem you have is not with the bike.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-18-19, 07:03 AM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS on your new bike. you are going to love how it rides.
i am sorry to hear about your marriage problems.

i have owned a specialized roubaix since 2010. first one was a 08, don't remember the level but had all 105 drivetrain, that i rode for 4 years. next was a 2010 elite with 105 drivetrain. and i just purchased a 2014 expert with DI2.
i am 5'10" and have been over 200lbs all of my adult life. actually i am a large framed muscular guy and have been over 200lbs since i was 12 years old. for reference i am now 56yo. i am currently 230 if it makes a difference. the CF won't have any problems holding you weight. i probably have over 10,000 miles on carbon fiber frame bikes and no breakage. because you are the original purchaser there should be a lifetime warranty on breakage. so if it breaks you will get a new frame NC. if you maintain the bike and properly care ans store the bike, it can last a LIFETIME making the purchase price irreverent and actually a great bargain. if you decide to sell roubaix bikes hold their value pretty good and the easily recognized name helps them sell fast.

i have lusted over a new roubaix with the front suspension fork and the shock absorbing CGR seat post. i currently have this seat post on both my 2010 and the 14 and it DOES make a difference. my current bikes will only take a 25c tire. i think your bike will go up to a 32c to give a even smoother ride and allow you to ride on gravel better if you want to do that.

honestly you bought one of the smoother riding road bikes available, ( yes i am biased). to the new to biking person like yourself this can allow you do ride more miles with less discomfort after the ride. less pain after the ride will encourage you to ride farther, faster and longer on the next ride for even better health benifits.

KEEP the bike and enjoy the ride

Last edited by mrt2you; 08-18-19 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 07:17 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I spend a lot of money on cycling, thousands of dollars a year, so I'm the last person to talk about not spending a lot of money on bikes. As others have said, if you love riding the bike, it's money well spent, but here's a personal story for you to consider. My wife wanted to get into cycling a few seasons ago for reasons similar to yours, so we visited a bunch of bike shops. She really liked one of the Rubys with hydraulic disks, which was around three grand IIRC, maybe more. I was supportive of whatever bike she wanted to get, but she ended up getting an aluminum 105 for under a thousand. She rode it a little bit the first season, but hasn't really ridden it much since then. She joined a gym and decided that she likes the classes there a lot more than she likes riding a bike, so her bike mostly hangs from the rack in the basement. From what I have seen, people who really get into cycling, almost always end up buying more bikes anyway, so the first one doesn't have to be the last one. Then when you get your next better bike in a couple seasons, you have a decent backup/rain bike. If it turns out cycling's not your thing, you don't feel so bad that your bike hangs from the rack most of the time.
Old 08-18-19, 09:04 AM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Did you overbuy? Yeah, sorry to say I think so.

Look, you're just starting out on your fitness program. The bike is nice, but probably not quite suited to you ... yet. Best to find a less pricy bike, an aluminum one the shop will fit to you, a bike suitable for where you want to ride.

Or look into the ebikes. This would be my suggestion, based upon the medical situation you shared, and just starting out pretty much. It won't drop you on the hills but instead will flatten them for you, is quietly encouraging no matter how bad the headwind or how tired you get, helps you when you need it, lets you comfortably ride with others that may be stronger and faster (a great motivator), and a enjoyable perk (like having a mechanical personal training coach) for getting out every day cycling to get fitter and stronger ...and (best of all) slimmer.

If you stick with cycling, and as you get stronger, you should feel more than justified to happily upgrade...and start adding to your bike collection. Then you can let hubby come along for the ride, him on your ebike so he can keep up with you, while you ride the newest of your collection.

Best of luck to you going forward with your program!!!

Last edited by momsonherbike; 08-18-19 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 09:29 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Did you overbuy? No ! Not at all! My thinking is that you selected this bike. For yourself. That makes it special. Feeling special about your choice will give you that giddy internal happy feeling that is self reinforcing.

Spouses, neighbors, co-workers, family members need to learn to be supportive of cyclists. Unfortunately they often do not get it. And that’s not any kind of guilt that you need to take ownership of. I was raised catholic and am a psychiatric RN. I was taught by a wise Catholic Filipino RN lady friend who would actively shrug off the “blame and shame” ethic that burdened our Catholic upbringing. Seriously toxic stuff that is not your problem.

But back to the Specialized bike you bought. If it has the latest Shimano 105 hydraulic disc component group and you payed a small premium to get it, then that is fantastic! You got the highest spec, best value package you could.

Now you can move forward, set your cycling goals and build your cycling resume. You are learning cycling the right way, by teaching yourself! That’s how to become confident. And $2,500? I would think this is the sweet spot for a do it all road bike. Could you post a picture of your bike? I’d like to show my girlfriend because she gets stoked by stories like yours.
Old 08-18-19, 10:58 AM
rubynewbie

Originally Posted by momsonherbike
Did you overbuy? Yeah, sorry to say I think so.

Look, you're just starting out on your fitness program. The bike is nice, but probably not quite suited to you ... yet. Best to find a less pricy bike, an aluminum one the shop will fit to you, a bike suitable for where you want to ride.

Or look into the ebikes. This would be my suggestion, based upon the medical situation you shared, and just starting out pretty much. It won't drop you on the hills but instead will flatten them for you, is quietly encouraging no matter how bad the headwind or how tired you get, helps you when you need it, lets you comfortably ride with others that may be stronger and faster (a great motivator), and a enjoyable perk (like having a mechanical personal training coach) for getting out every day cycling to get fitter and stronger ...and (best of all) slimmer.

If you stick with cycling, and as you get stronger, you should feel more than justified to happily upgrade...and start adding to your bike collection. Then you can let hubby come along for the ride, him on your ebike so he can keep up with you, while you ride the newest of your collection.

Best of luck to you going forward with your program!!!
Thank you everyone for your input! I do want to clarify one thing - my recent health issue isn’t weight related at all. I have breast cancer. The drug my breast cancer surgeon has me on increases the risk of blood clots, heart attack, and stroke. I have to be on it for 5 years. All of my other health stats are quite good. Once I have surgery (next month), go through radiation, and basically kick cancer’s @ss I will be great. I just hopped on my old bike (an 18” Schwinn Sierra GS) a couple of weeks ago and have been going out for 1/2 hr every night after work. Physically it’s a cakewalk, not challenging at all. The issue I have is I don’t feel secure on such a huge bike for my size, and frankly the only thing that has limited my ride times has been the excruciating screaming pain that was a mere 30 minutes ago my crotch. I have only had one ride on the Roubaix, and the crotch pain is completely gone. It has been replaced with excruciating sit bone pain however. I believe this is more normal and will somewhat diminish over time and proper gear. I purchased a pair of bike shorts with padding yesterday that I will try out and see how that goes.
Old 08-18-19, 11:45 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
If you stick with riding, no. If it becomes a clothes hanger, yes.

Fwiw, I ride a carbon fiber Ridley Fenix that was around 2500, ready to ride. I tip the scales at at around 220, and it's never given me a problem other than usual maintenance issues. (Well, except for some reason it likes to blow out front derailleur housings at around 2 or 3k miles).

Last edited by Wileyrat; 08-18-19 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 01:06 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
So sorry to hear the issue is cancer. I hope you do kick it, and return to health asap. And hope your new bike helps get you there.

PS - if you end up looking for a new saddle, you might check out the Serfas RX for women. Also might help for you to get a pro fit for your new bike to help minimize any new pain that may crop up from going from an upright cruiser to a road bike.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 08-18-19 at 01:10 PM.
Likes For momsonherbike:
Old 08-18-19, 05:46 PM
rubynewbie

So the update is I returned the Roubaix Sport today. I went to three different bike stores but none had a bike in stock that was quite right. The salesman at the largest bike store recommended a Cannondale Quick 1 however and it can be ordered. So I will start another thread asking about that bike. Thank you again to everyone for taking the time to give this newb your time and honest opinions!
Old 08-18-19, 07:45 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rubynewbie
So the update is I returned the Roubaix Sport today. I went to three different bike stores but none had a bike in stock that was quite right. The salesman at the largest bike store recommended a Cannondale Quick 1 however and it can be ordered. So I will start another thread asking about that bike. Thank you again to everyone for taking the time to give this newb your time and honest opinions!
If at first it don't work, try-try again.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.