Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Locolobo's Rides

Notices
Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Locolobo's Rides

Old 05-27-19, 02:25 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
Locolobo's Rides

My previous blog, "Riding Phoenix Metro", https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s...etro-area.html pretty much ended when flickr was bought by smugmug. Under Yahoo! free users had 1TB of space for their photos. Smugmug cut that to 1000 photos. Not complaining but I can't post photos anymore to flickr without deleting more than 2800 photos. So far flickr hasn't deleted them so I've left the previous blog and my flickr photostream alone. Que ser.

This blog is not going to be restricted to Phoenix Metro. Which is 99.9% of my rides. It may or may not include some commutes. As the previous blog this is mostly going to be a photo blog. Cause I like to take photos.

My work life has changed. Previously my job was 5 mi from my home in Central Phoenix. The job near downtown Phoenix. Very pleasant commute and about the right distance for me.

Starting last week my commute is now 25 mi to Chandler. We've been busy moving out of Phoenix to Chandler for the last few months. Thursday and Friday were my first two commutes to Chandler. I rode the light rail from near my house to McClintock Rd in Tempe. Then an 8 mi ride to work along McClintock. It's not working so well.

First my 29er doesn't fit the bike rack on the train well. If it's the only bike on the rack I can make it. But there are more bikes nowadays. So the evening commute involves a lot of standing and moving my bike out of people's way. Second the train ride is 1 hr each way. That doesn't include riding to and from the station and waiting for the train. The total time each way is 2 hrs.

The next option is to drive to a park and ride then ride the bike in. I will do that next week. The long term solution is probably going to be to carpool with my QA officer. She lives about 3 mi from my house. We've discussed it and it looks like it will work. But now I have to figure out how to get my miles in after work. Enough of my problems. Let's get riding.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 05-27-19, 02:30 PM
locolobo13 

South Mountain to Sky Harbor

Yesterday, 5/26/2019, I rode to Dobbins Lookout on South Mountain. Then to Sky Harbor. Finished up by riding to Tempe Town Lake, then home via the Grand Canal.

The Strava is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/2400084411

My pix are here: https://imgur.com/user/locolobo13

Typical start, for me, get up at 5am, ride to McDs, then to QT for tea, then head south. I followed 5th Ave south to downtown Phoenix. Then Central Ave to South Mountain Park. Stopped at the Ranger Station at South Mountain Park.

South Mountain Park is one of the largest parks in North America. There are miles of trails available for hiking and biking. I'm not a great trail rider and stayed on the pavement this time. Every 4th Sunday is "Silent Sunday". They close a majority of the paved roads in the park to motor vehicles. Making it a very popular pastime for bikers to ride up the hill. Then zoom back down. For more info on the park go here: https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/trails...south-mountain

From the Ranger Station it is 1.4 mi, 200ft to San Juan & Summit Road Parking Lot. Now the climbing starts. Mentally I break it down into segments, Telegraph Pass (1.9 mi, 417ft), Dobbins Lookout (3.8mi, 801ft). Dobbins Lookout isn't the top. For that follow the signs to Gila Valley Lookout (5.6 mi, 1076ft). I only rode to Dobbins Lookout. Below are some pix.

Telegraph Pass

Dobbins Lookout

Sierra Estrellas from Dobbins Lookout

Telegraph Pass

The view from Dobbins Lookout is great. You can really see the metro area and surrounding mountains. There was an orange cone in one of the windows. I walked my bike down to the building intending to take a shot of the bike and lookout together. Turns out it said, "Cautious, rattlesnake in the area". I looked down and sure enough about 3 ft from my foot is a small rattler, less than 18 inches long.

I dithered. I wanted to shoot it with the bigger lens. By the time I got it out of the bag the snake was half way between some rocks in the wall. As I watched it completely entered the wall. The walls were a couple of feet thick. The snake was not visible from either inside or out. Sorry about that. Lesson learned: Use what you got.

Of course the ride back down the hill is a blast. Even if I chicken out and use the brakes from time to time. I think the really skilled roadies are bombing down the hill at close to 40mph. Maybe faster. Not me. At my age the bones don't mend as fast.

Back in the city I followed the Highline Canal Trail to 24th St. Then to Best Donuts at Baseline Rd for an apple fritter. Breakfast may be the most important meal but brunch is funner!

From there it was north on 24th St to the Salt River. Then east along the Rio Salado Pathway to Sky Harbor Airport to shoot some aircraft.

After shooting aircraft it was time for lunch. Then east to Tempe Town Lake. From there it is an easy jump to the Grand Canal. Then follow that almost all the way home. I did stop to take some more aircraft shots. Also some bike shots and a turtle who promptly dove under after the 2nd shot.

It was almost 2pm when I got home. Spent a lot of time shooting pix. Enjoyable day.

50.1 mi
about 5 hrs riding time
Old 06-01-19, 10:44 AM
locolobo13 

Still figuring out the new commute

Last week was my first full week at the new location in Chandler. My plan was to drive to a park and ride then ride in. The riding distance is about 7.5 mi. There are closer park and rides but I like the 15 mi day. But Tuesday I screwed up.

I often hang my glasses from my shirt. I need them for distance but they are not so good within 10ft. They are progressives and I have a heck of a time getting my head at the right angle for closer objects. Easier to take them off.

While closing the tailgate on my pickup they fell into the gate. The mechanism was jammed. Fortunately I have a spare pair. But I drove all the way to work. While there I googled how to unjam the tailgate. The glasses were bent but still usable.

The rest of the week went according to plan. Drove to the park and ride then ride into work. Riding in was fun. The wind patterns are slightly different in Chandler than in Central Phoenix. It almost seemed as if I had a slight tailwind both afternoon and afternoon. Not really but there was none of the turning west into a strong headwind in the afternoon I usually get.

This week I parked in back under the canopy. The afternoon sun is making my grips feel soft. Talking to my boss he gave me permission to park the bike in the storage room. Next week. Here's a couple of shots of parking from last week.

Old 06-02-19, 06:43 PM
locolobo13 

Indian Bend Wash Loop

This morning, 6/2/2019, I followed the Indian Bend Wash Trail south to north. Here's the Strava. https://www.strava.com/activities/2418653897

To get there I followed the Grand Canal to Tempe Town Lake.

3rd Ave Bridge

Bridge near 36th St

Train Graffiti

Mill Ave Bridge

Then east on the north side to Indian Bend Wash. The path on the north side of the lake just naturally curves into Indian Bend Wash. I got off at Thomas Rd for brunch.

Hmmm, donuts

Indian Bend Wash is part of the "Greenbelt". Looking at it on the maps you can see why. There is always water running along here from Indian Bend Road to Tempe Town Lake. The golf courses further northwest along the wash have small lakes or running water as well. BTW don't drink the water.

Between East Via de Ventura and a little south of Shea Blvd I don't think there is an Indian Bend Wash Path or Trail. The trail starts up again near Shea Blvd and 52nd St. There are some new signs along the trail.

New Sign

I got on it here and continued northwest. The signs are nice. Kept me off the golf course. Part of it goes thru the Stone Creek Golf Club. At one point the trail crosses right in front of the tee box. Watch out for people teeing up.

The signs took me to Venturoso Park and dumped me out front at 32nd St and Acoma Dr. No idea whether the trail goes any further from here. Looking at the satellite view the wash appears to end about there.

From Venturoso Park I worked my way to Greenway Pkwy and Cave Creek Road. The Cave Creek Tributary Trail begins here. Ride west. One thing to note, the trail is on the south side of Greenway Pkwy. It is a nice wide concrete path, read big sidewalk. But riding west you are essentially "salmoning". Take the appropriate precautions. Especially watch out for people from the south turning right or east on Greenway Pkwy. There was some water in spots along the wash. I got off at 7th St for lunch.

Cave Creek Tributary

Found this guy hiding in the tansies near 3rd Ave.

Got home around 1 PM. Here's a closeup of my "new" U-lock carrier. One pannier takes less space hauling the bike during my commute. This system makes the U-lock easier to access. And yes, it's just some spare pvc, electrical tape and zip ties.

51.7 mi
about 4.5 hrs riding time
Old 06-09-19, 08:55 PM
locolobo13 

Commuting News

I'm parking my bike in the storage room now.

The grips were feeling "sticky" in the sun. So I talked to my boss and he said OK.

Tuesday I rode to Desert Breeze Park for lunch.

Getting used to driving 19 mi before riding to work. Gotta figure out how to incorporate walking into my day. At our previous location I walked 1.5-2 mi/day as part of the job. Now that we're in 1 building again that's gone. Probably going to go for a walk at lunch.
Old 06-09-19, 09:16 PM
locolobo13 

Westside Canal Loop

This is a favorite route for me. Started out around 5:20 am. Here's the Strava.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2437372658

After breakfast I got on the Grand Canal near home and rode to the New River Trail.

Old Gantry

Queen Butterfly at the Glendale Regional Heroes Park

Crane at the junction of the Grand Canal and the New River Trail

North on the New River Trail to the Arizona Canal.

New River Trail between Bethany Home Rd and Glendale Rd

Bee in the Sunflower

This is why we can't have good stuff. This is fairly new. All the tools are gone as well as the fitting on the end of the hose.

Agave near Thunderbird Rd

I got off at Thunderbird Rd to ride to Dunkin Donuts. It's warm but not too warm to sit outside sipping coffee, eating a donut in the shade.

Then I followed the Arizona Canal to 25th Ave.

Shady spot

Goathead. These are getting prevalent around here.

Nightshade. Very pretty flower. Lots of them along the bottoms.

From 25th Ave and the Arizona Canal I worked over to 23rd Ave and headed south towards home. Stopping for a burger for lunch.

40.8 mi
about 4 hrs 10 min riding time
Old 06-23-19, 04:03 PM
locolobo13 

Paradise Valley Loop

Rode a loop to Paradise Valley this morning. Here's the Strava.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2474775162

After breakfast I got on the Grand Canal near at 3rd Ave. Getting off at Campbell Ave near 12th St. Then east to 32nd St.

Crossing the 51 Fwy

The Arizona Canal

Turned east at Lincoln Dr. North at 36th St. Tried to climb to the trailhead. Had to push the bike up the last quarter mile.

36th St Entrance

View of the city from the trailhead

The ride back down to Lincoln Dr was fun. Then east to Desert Fairways Dr. There is a bike route on google maps that I followed to 52nd St & Shea Blvd.

Looking back at Camelback Mountain

Stopped just north of Shea Blvd for a break.

Snakeskin

Nightshade

Rest Stop

Then I headed to Rainbow Donuts at 40th St & Thunderbird Rd. Their apple fritters are always good. Then to the Dreamy Draw Bikeway and home.

Pedestrian Bridge along the Dreamy Draw

34.5 mi
about 3 hrs 15 min riding time
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 07-28-19, 05:25 PM
locolobo13 

Update on my rides

I'm still riding. Commuting to work has almost become routine. Drive to Grace Community Church in Tempe. Then ride to work, mostly along McClintock Rd in Tempe and Chandler. RT is averaging 14-15 mi/day.

Wish I could cut the drive out. I don't hate driving. But it's time lost. Of course "normal" people see riding the last 7ish mi in as more time lost. Depends on your point of view.

The last month my front tire has been losing air. From 40lbs to less than 20lbs in less than a week. The tire itself has been losing tread.

So I replaced it yesterday. Then checked it to see what was causing the problem.

That's right there were two thorns in there. Next time I'll check sooner. Weird it would last almost a week. But the thorns were plugging the holes. The bike is happy now with a new tire.

Old 07-28-19, 05:30 PM
locolobo13 

Roosevelt Canal

Yesterday afternoon I rode a loop to the Roosevelt Canal then Tolleson then home. The Strava is here.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2568755772

It was hot! 112F to start. That was around 3:30 PM. I don't think it got much hotter though.

I started out south on 23rd Ave from near Campbell Ave. West on Indian School Rd. South on 27th Ave to the Grand Canal. Followed the canal to 29th Ave then worked over to 31st Ave. Then south. At Encanto Blvd you see this.

Encanto Blvd & 31st Ave

Google maps says to go around. On a bicycle just get on the sidewalk and ride thru there. Then ride south to Durango St. Rode west to 35th Ave. The Roosevelt Canal is coming north and turns west right here at Durango St. Cross 35th Ave and ride along the north side. Why the north side? Cause that's the side google maps says is the bicycle trail. Honestly ride whichever side you want to. I rode to 59th Ave.

Proctor & Gamble just west of 35th Ave

Fountain at 39th Ave

Bicycle Parking at 39th Ave. 8ish miles and my water is too warm to want to drink.

Incoming water at 47th Ave (slight sewer odor here)

Warning, Don't drink the water. LOL

59th Ave with the unfinished 202 Fwy behind it

I'm waiting for the day they finish this. Want to be able to ride the other side of that bridge. Yes it is possible. But I don't want to get stuck and have to back track on a hot day. I turned north to Buckeye Rd to ride further west.

At 67th Ave I got a cold bottle of tea. A flavor I know I can drink when it gets warm. At 83rd Ave turned north to Van Buren Rd. Then west to ride thru Tolleson. The only pic I took in Tolleson proper was of the mill from near 99th Ave.

Bay State Milling

At 99th Ave I turned north. Ate supper at Habit Burger Grill on McDowell Rd near 103rd Ave. It felt really good to sit in the AC, drink a cold drink and eat a hot burger.

Then it was time to head home. I followed McDowell to the west side of the 101 Fwy. Crossed McDowell. And salmoned east along the north side. All the way to Circle at 91st Ave where I got a coldish bottle of water to finish my ride.

Interesting incident between 95th and 91st Aves. I stopped to take pix of the canal at 95th Ave. A man walking south on 95th Ave turns east on the sidewalk on the north side of McDowell Rd, south side of the canal. A black car follows him driving at the same speed he is walking. McDowell Rd's speed limit is 35 or 40 mph. Most of us drive it at 45 or 50. So the black car is slowing traffic.

Eventually the police show up and stop the man walking. The car joins them and they start a discussion. I chose to ride on the north side of the canal to avoid getting involved in the incident. It's gravel and weeds mostly. But I made it to Circle K.

From there I got on to Encanto Blvd and head east. Getting on the Grand Canal at 55th Ave. Then home shortly after sunset.

43rd Ave just about sunset

RR Tracks at Grand Ave just after sunset

31.6 mi
about 4.5 hr riding time

Note: Did I mention it was hot! I drank a little more than a liter of tea, a liter of water, and 20 oz or so of cold soda pop. After I got home I drank another liter in the next hour. It's possible to ride in the heat. Drink lots. Stop in the shade. Take it easy. And be ready to bail if you need to.
Old 08-04-19, 09:06 PM
locolobo13 

Sky Harbor to the Grand Canal

This morning I rode a loop to Rio Salado, Sky Harbor Airport, Tempe Town Lake. Then followed the Grand Canal home. The Strava is here.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2591158268

Somehow I bungled the alarm yesterday. So I woke up at 5:50 AM instead of 5ish. The current temp in my area was 81F. Not bad for this time of year. On to McDs at 7th Ave & Indian School Rd for breakfast. Leaving McDs I realized I forgot to turn on Strava from home. Then to Quiktrip for a bottle of iced tea. After that I rode thru downtown heading for Rio Salado.

Then east on the Rio Salado Pathway. There were dragonflies on the path. But none of them would sit still for a shot. They were busy flying around. Either feeding or mating. Finally I found a semi willing subject. A burrowing owl.

It's not singing. There's no sound. I think it's yawning.

Eastward again. It's warm, not hot, but humid. At the 40th St rest area I stop to shoot some aircraft.

Then to Dunkin Donuts for a cup of coffee and a pastry. I stopped to chase a butterfly around some Arizona Milkweed but the pix of the butterfly were all blurry. Caught a couple of other insects.

At Tempe Town Lake it was getting pretty warm. I decided to head for home via the Grand Canal. There is a new trail in the process of being built along the Grand Canal. Some of it is on the opposite side of the old trail. Some places had detour signs pushing you off into the dirt. A couple of times it was easier to go back to the last crossing and use the old path.

Approaching the 51 Fwy I decided to take a side path going up the east side of the 51. Right around the corner the path was blocked by an Eucalyptus branch that was blown off by last night's storm. I didn't know Eucalyptus trees had flowers. They were pretty.

I got off the trail to have a burger for lunch. Then back on the Grand Canal to head for home.

32.6 mi
about 2 hrs 40 min riding time
Old 08-13-19, 01:56 PM
locolobo13 

Peoria Loop

Sunday, 8/11/2019, I rode a loop to Peoria then home. I rode to five different places. First Pioneer Community Park in Peoria. Then to the CA Robinson Pioneer Park also in Peoria. Johnny E Osuna Park just north. Then after a donut break I stopped at the Sahuaro Ranch Park in Glendale. Then the Elise McCarthy Sensory Garden in Glendale.

The Strava is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/2610801271

I started out around 5ish AM. Rode to McDs at Thomas Rd near I17 for breakfast. Then over to the QuikTrip at 27th Ave for a bottle of iced tea.

I wasted several minutes after QuikTrip waiting for a train. It was approaching from the SE and I wanted to take a shot. But it stopped a good quarter mile from me and started backing up.

After that it was up Grand Ave to the Grand Canal. Then the Grand Canal to 71st Ave. It was still early enough that crossing the major streets wasn't a problem.

59th Ave

North on 71st Ave to Northern Ave. As I approached Northern the train was approaching again. It's horn was tempting me to ride over to the tracks and try to get a good shot with one of the overpasses in the background. But it beat me to the intersection of Olive Ave & 75th Ave. Que Sera.

Just south of Olive Ave I turned west on Golden Ln to head for Pioneer Community Park. It is by Olive Ave & 83rd Ave. I spent some time shooting the lake, the giant wheels and found a dragonfly willing to pose.

Pioneer Lake

Really Big Wheels

Dragonfly

From here follow 83rd Ave north. Just north of Mountain View Rd look for a roundabout. Take it to the left to stay on 83rd Ave. The CA Robinson Pioneer Park is just a couple of blocks north. You can't miss it. There's a bunch of old farm equipment near an old schoolhouse.

Next the Johnny E Osuna Memorial Park just north of there.

By this time I was ready for some coffee and a pastry. There is a dive looking place up Grand Ave a little called K-May Donuts & Bagels. Never been there before. But the coffee and apple fritter were good. The place looked like it used to be a small diner, maybe, back in the 60s or 70s.

Next is up to Cholla St. East to 63rd Ave. South to Sahuaro Ranch Park which is south of Peoria. Just north of Glendale Community College.

Then east to 55th and south to Orangewood where the Elise McCarthy Sensory Garden is. The sensory garden is a nice place to rest. There are interesting and different types of art. And shade.

After that I stopped by the old Sugar Beet Factory. Then home. Eating lunch on the way.

34.5 mi
about 3.5 hrs riding time
Old 08-17-19, 02:30 PM
locolobo13 

Micro-Burst

No pix but yesterday the skies opened up. When I left work around 5:20 PM or so, the sky was partly cloudy. It didn't feel like the 110F the wunderground said it was. I looked carefully but thought, "Naw. It ain't gonna rain."

My Commute home starts on McClintock Rd a little south of Chandler Blvd in Chandler heading north. Things were looking up by the time I got to Chandler Blvd. The sun was shining, but filtered thru some light clouds. There heavier clouds above me but they didn't look that big. And the best? A decent tailwind!

Two miles later, it's getting sunnier. I'm thinking it might even heat up. Between Warner Rd & Eliot Rd it starts sprinkling. So light I was hoping for more to cool me off.

Well I got my wish. One mile later at Guadalupe Rd it's coming down heavy enough to make me think about seeking shelter. At least to put my water fragile stuff like paper and electronics into my backpack. But naw, it's just a light sprinkle. Besides I'm going to stop in a mile at Baseline Rd for supper.

Less than a quarter mile later the bike lane is flooded. McClintock Rd is busy with still fast moving vehicles. The sidewalk was wide and empty. So that's where I went.

The rain is really coming down. My clothes are soaked. The wind is gusting strong enough it's hard to hold my line. I stop at Gaicki Park halfway between Guadalupe and Baseline.

The shelter I sought turns out to be one of those sun shelters with plenty of ventilation. Still better than nothing. Belatedly I put my water soluble paper and electronics into my backpack. The electronics were alright. Some of the paper survived.

Fifteen minutes later the rain slowed to a trickle. The wind to less than 5 mph. I rode on to Baseline and got supper. I was dripping wet but the fast food people didn't even blink. Since that only happens once a year or less, it was fun!

But. There's a time to stop and stow your gear safely when it starts sprinkling. And there's a time to ride on because it's not going to be heavy enough to worry about. Wisdom is knowing the difference. Guess I'm missing some wisdom.
Old 08-18-19, 08:37 PM
locolobo13 

Loma del Rio Ruins in Tempe

This morning I rode to Loma del Rio Ruins near Tempe Town Lake. From the lake it is a short gravel ride to the ruins. The weather was warm but not too hot. Riding home the breeze was assisting.

The Strava is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/2630729538

I had breakfast at McDs. Then got a bottle of tea at Quik Trip. Then onto the Grand Canal at 3rd Ave. While the canal path wasn't crowded it seemed like there were more people than usual on a Sunday morning. The path improvement is coming along.

Unopened pedestrian bridge near Pueblo Grande Museum

The tracks near the Grand Canal

The easiest way for me to get to the Loma del Rio area is to ride to Tempe Town Lake first. Then take Lake View Rd to just north of the 202 Fwy. You will find a trail there. A little further is a sign with a trail map. It's not too hard to ride to the ruins. About a quarter mile and 50ft climbing. The pathway isn't too rough. I was able to ride to the ruins.

After goofing off at the ruins I climbed to the next ridge to the east. It's a short climb but I walked most of it. Then walked a third or so getting off of it. Then wandered eastish to cross Curry Rd at a tunnel there. There was a homeless camp taking about half the width of the tunnel. So don't go barreling thru there.

On the other side I wandered northerly climbing another small ridge. Then back down towards Marigold Ln. From there I rode to Dunkin Donuts for a snack.

Tempe Town Lake from under the 202

Loma del Rio Ruins

View from the Ruins

Tempe Town Lake from the next ridge

After my break I got onto the Crosscut Canal at McKellips Rd. Headed north to the Arizona Canal. Then headed home. Stopping for shots along the way and lunch.

Arizona Falls

Bridge of the 51 Fwy

Spare Wheel caught in the Grand Canal

near 15th Ave

33.7 mi
2 hrs 58 min riding time
Old 08-25-19, 03:40 PM
locolobo13 

Westside Canal Loop

Yesterday afternoon I rode a westerly loop. The Grand Canal to New River. The New River Trail to Thunderbird Rd. Where I got off for supper. Then up 83rd Ave to get on Skunk Creek Trail. From there a short ride to the Arizona Canal. Then home.

Here's a link to the Strava. https://www.strava.com/activities/2648728379

My imgur is here. https://imgur.com/user/locolobo13

It was hot. But not too hot. About 100F when I started. Maybe it got to 105F. Maybe not.

OTOH the wind was steadily out of the west. Sometimes, the southwest. Probably 5-10 mph. To me that's a gale. LOL. Riding west along the Grand Canal was slow. Between 10-12mph.

Along the Bethany Home Outflow Channel

Once I turned north on the New River Trail riding was faster. And easier. There were more opportunies to take photos as well.

Weeds at Northern Ave

Dragonflies

New Signage

Graffiti

Cholla Bloom

Rest Area

Getting off at Thunderbird Rd I rode to Culver's for supper. Bacon deluxe burger, cole slaw and a cold soda. After riding 25mi in the heat it tasted really good. Then on to the Arizona Canal and home.

Just after sunset at the Arizona Canal

Note: I bought a new saddle Tuesday. My old one was tearing where my sit bones sit. The new one seems OK. But it's got me higher than normal. I think the LBS may have put a different seat post in there. Right now it's as low as I can get it. OTOH the higher position seems better on smooth gravel and pavement. I can climb better. And like the LBS guy said, it is comfortable. So far. In another week or so I'll put some better pix of the saddle and give an opinion on it.

38.1 mi
3 hrs 8 min riding time
Old 09-02-19, 02:22 PM
locolobo13 

Cave Creek Tributary Trail

Yesterday morning I rode a loop thru the Cave Creek Wash and Cave Creek Tributary Trails. Then home thru the Dreamy Draw Path.

Here's a link to the Strava. https://www.strava.com/activities/2671350419

My imgur albums are here. https://imgur.com/user/locolobo13

I started out riding to McDs at Northern Ave for breakfast. Then north along 19th Ave to Quik Trip for a bottle of cold tea. Then up to the Arizona Canal and over to Cave Creek to follow the trail north.

Cave Creek Park at Sweetwater Ave

Bees N Flowers at Cave Creek Park

Under Thunderbird Rd

About a quarter mi east of 19th Ave the trail splits. Cave Creek Wash Trail goes on north under Greenway Rd. The Cave Creek Tributary Trail goes straight and is the more obvious trail at this point. Going east there was plenty of debris left from the storm a few days ago. Nothing unridable but plenty of loose sand, grass and leaves. Along with the normal trash on a city path. Another cyclist told me the water was 8 ft deep at one point.

Moon Valley Park

12th St crossing exit

Pool leftover

20th St Bridge

Spiral Staircase

From Greenway Pkwy I worked my way to Rainbow Donuts at 40th St & Thunderbird Rd. Then south towards the Dreamy Draw to head home. I rode a little out of the way to stop at Granada Park. Somebody told me there were African Lovebirds here. There were.

33.7 mi
2 hrs 41 min riding time
Old 09-02-19, 02:32 PM
locolobo13 

Downtown Phoenix

This morning I rode downtown.

Here's a link to the Strava. https://www.strava.com/activities/2673706328

My imgur albums are here. https://imgur.com/user/locolobo13

This morning I had breakfast first. I was going to take my pickup to the shop before riding. But the garage was closed. Que sera. So I started out after 7 AM this morning riding south along 15th Ave. Stopped by the ATM near downtown but it was having a malfunction. Then I rode by the old lab.

The old lab

Then I went downtown and shot some murals.

Stopping for brunch at BoSa Donuts.

This wheel was still stuck in the falls along the Grand Canal.

16.4 mi
1 hr 29 min riding time
Old 09-08-19, 06:29 PM
locolobo13 

Tolleson Avondale Loop

This morning I rode a loop thru Tolleson and Avondale. It was warm and muggy. This ride was slow thru some industrial areas before heading into Avondale. Then home.

The imgur albums are here. https://imgur.com/user/locolobo13

The Strava is here. https://www.strava.com/activities/2691639666

I left the house around 5:10 AM and rode to McDs at Thomas Rd & 24th Ave. That place is a McD in a Chevron Station. The McD was still closed. Even though the sign said they opened at 5:00 AM. So I went to Dunkin Donuts next door. Their coffee is good but the small cup is really small. Que sera. After breakfast I went to Quik Trip for a cold bottle of tea.

From there it's onto 31st Ave and south to Buckeye Rd. I worked my way west along Buckeye and Van Buren Rds looking for subjects to shoot. At 99th Ave I turned north.

Early morning train by Quik Trip

Power Plant near 47th Ave

Used to be an out of town truck stop in the 70s. Now it's in town.

Tank Farm

North on 99th Ave to McDowell Rd. West to 107th Ave. Just north of McDowell Rd, Crystal Garden Pkwy splits off of 107th Ave. Take it. I followed it to Lakeshore Dr and chose the right fork. Got lost east of 107th Ave and worked my way back on the Roosevelt Canal. Then north to the junction of the Grand Canal and New River Trail.

There was a pretty yellow piper cub practising touch and gos. So I stopped for some shots.

bike parking

Then turned for home. I followed the Grand Canal to 83rd Ave. Then rode over to the Glendale Regional Heroe's Park. Used the facilities and crossed a dirt lot to Discovery Park. Then home along Maryland Ave. It was about 10:40 AM when I got home.

Oleander

41.9 mi
3 hrs 27 min riding time

Notes: Two things bothered me. Yesterday I strained my inner thigh muscles. Was thinking about not riding but decided to get breakfast before making my final decision. Made sure I didn't push too hard during the ride. While the temp never got over 95-100F it was humid. Wunderground said 96F, 37% when I got home. I seemed to feel it more this morning.