Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Suggest a starter cruiser.

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 08-18-19, 01:11 PM
Patrm2

Bikes: Ritchey Logic, Lemond Zurich.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all - I am a road bike commuter. But I would like to get into a starter cruiser bike ( less competitive and more comfortable ) that I could use with my Wife.

Should I look to craigslist or go new perhaps. I ask because I know little about this type of bike.

Thanks

Patrm2
Old 08-18-19, 01:38 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
If you just want to ride it go to a shop. If you want to eventually modify/customize it buy used. I would definitely ride one before buying it and see if it speaks to you. Don't believe all the hype as you may not like any of them. Roger
Likes For rhenning:
Old 08-18-19, 04:40 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I see plenty of low mileage women's cruisers on Craigslist. Not so much the men's versions.

While there are bargains on CL, anything about 7 or more years of age tend to need new tires and brake pads due to rubber drying out and hardening. The tires may look good on inspection, but put a few miles on them with your weight flexing them and the cracks may show up sooner than later. So, factor in those items to any CL bargain out there.

My latest CL purchase was a low mileage $75 purchase. The rear tire was cracking within 20 miles of me riding it. So, I changed the rim strips, tubes, tires, rear sprocket*, and pedals*, which added an extra $100.00. Worth it to me? Yes.

*to suit me better

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-18-19 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 08:48 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Craigslist. Go with an Electra, Sixthreezero,..etc.
Old 08-19-19, 08:00 AM
2old

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Can't agree more with the advice above. Start at your (maybe local) Trek dealer and try an Electra, then proceed with Specialized and Giant models and decide on new or used. As above, you may need to replace some worn components an a used bike. I did front hub motor conversions on Bikes Direct's three-speed cruisers and was impressed by the price/quality ratio of the bikes.
Old 08-19-19, 08:45 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
if the height difference isn't too much between you and your wife (like a more or less normal cruiser frame with just a seat post adjustment needed. don't know y'all's heights), try her bike. decide what you like or don't like about it and you'll have an idea of what you want for yourself.

Last edited by Philphine; 08-19-19 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For Philphine:
Old 08-19-19, 11:55 AM
Patrm2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone. Some excellent advice here. I had better get going on this before we run out of Summer.

Thanks again.
Old 08-20-19, 06:41 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Hope to see what you end up with, @Patrm2.
Old 08-20-19, 01:04 PM
Patrm2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking of perhaps starting with this :
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bop...955625096.html
Old 08-20-19, 01:37 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrm2
I was thinking of perhaps starting with this :
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bop...955625096.html
Doesn't have horizontal dropouts. Be ok with a derailleur and muti gears . But won’t be easy to setup as a single speed without a tensioner .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-20-19, 05:08 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
Doesn't have horizontal dropouts. Be ok with a derailleur and muti gears . But won’t be easy to setup as a single speed without a tensioner .
I have an 8 speed Shimano Nexus IGH with a tensioner, and I find it a better option than a horizontal dropout. I don't need chain tugs, and I'm not required to pull the wheel back as the chain stretches. I love it,... All I need is a new front fender.

Old 08-20-19, 05:59 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
That’ll work . Some folks don’t like using the tensioner . I hope you get the frame and look forward to seeing your build .
Old 09-05-19, 01:11 PM
blackbomber

Bikes: 1932 Simmons Banner

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts
What people now refer to as cruisers, were once just regular bikes. Things that people traveled and relied on. Back when bicycling was an activity, not a sport. I think the term "cruiser" or "beach cruiser" came into parlance at the tail end of the 1970's or so. By then, most bicycles were "lightweights" (drop bar 10 speeds, 3 speed tourist, etc with 1 3/8 tires or narrower). So the cruiser became a nostalgic throwback. And they never really went away.

I personally think most of the aversion to cruisers is simply some don't want to be seen on them. The more I ride my drop bar bike, the more I appreciate getting on a 40+ lb upright bike with a wide seat and cushy tires. Yeah, I get worn out faster trying to maintain a 15mph average pace on a three speed bike of that heft. But I've done 50 mile days on them with no problem. There's something to be said for slowing down and enjoying the ride, and like with motorcycles, it's definitely more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then a fast bike slow.

If you're still in the decision making process, don't get all hung up on weight and features. If you're going geared, three speeds are plenty. I pull a 100lb trailer with a three speed 45lb middleweight from the 1950's. It's no biggie. Obviously hills factor into the equation somewhat, but I still think 3 is enough. I'd buy used, and if it doesn't work out, you're going to lose less.
Likes For blackbomber:
Old 09-05-19, 02:28 PM
Tulok

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I’m all for an electro C1. They’re great if you’re tall 6’. If you’re under that, there’s about a million used cruisers for sale all the time.
Old 09-05-19, 03:30 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
This Giant Simple Three makes a sharp looking cruiser. I don't see many reliable reviews on it, But based on my experience with a 2018 Sedona, I think you get great value and good quality from their entry level bikes.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/simple-three-2020

You might want to check out Their Sedona DX and Cypress DX comfort bikes too. They offer that same upright seating and smooth fat tires but add a suspension fork and seat post and look more like a city bike. Whatever you choose, I'd try them out first.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 09-05-19 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 09:57 AM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Internet order bikes (ie Amazon, Firmstrong, etc) seem decent quality, but I always notice that a "beginner" bike wrench is going to be a little challenged (Fit, true, tune, etc)

I have recently bought via mail order both a Firmstrong and Raleigh cruisers. Both needed the steerer tubes honed. Both needed at least one wheel trued. Both needed the front hub cones loosened. The Raleigh needed the rear hub cones loosened and the axle shimmed to take the stress off the brake arm. The Firmstrong needed the bottom bracket loosened.

Again the material quality is good, but self-assembly isn't as straight forward as one would expect.

Anything bought at a bike shop should have these issues already worked out prior to delivery or placement on the showroom floor.

REI carries a limited line of Electra. They have a 365 day return policy too. The slight forward crank thing is good and bad, depending on one's knees.

I prefer 3 speed over single speed or 7 speed.
I feel 7 speeds are overkill and ruin the aesthetic of simplicity.. And a 3 speed is like a single speed with coaster brake, but a low gear for over-crossings and a high gear for picking up the pace on a long stretch.

Shimano Nexus 3 speeds have wider dropouts than single speed coasters. Those frames also have cable guides brazed on for clean lines.

Also, double coil springs are better on the saddles than single coil (per side)

Felt makes some cool, quality cruisers too.
Old 09-09-19, 02:31 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbomber
What people now refer to as cruisers, were once just regular bikes. Things that people traveled and relied on. Back when bicycling was an activity, not a sport. I think the term "cruiser" or "beach cruiser" came into parlance at the tail end of the 1970's or so. By then, most bicycles were "lightweights" (drop bar 10 speeds, 3 speed tourist, etc with 1 3/8 tires or narrower). So the cruiser became a nostalgic throwback. And they never really went away.
"...the term “beach cruiser” was actually coined in the early 70s by Larry McNeely, the owner of Recycled Cycles in Newport Beach, California, when he began refurbishing old cruiser bikes into functional beach rides."

An interesting read:
https://www.citylab.com/transportati...p0YNnYvDcK3pH8
Likes For HBCruiser1: