Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Silver Comet Trail Photos

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Silver Comet Trail Photos

Old 06-20-17, 06:22 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum
it's all good. I accept / take into account any / all advice and criticisms. I wish I could carry less but just don't feel comfortable on this trail since the farther you go, the farther out you will be. I don't know too many stores around / close to this trail so prefer to be over prepared than under. I know I take a hit w/weight and aerodynamics.

Yup, there are all manner of places to pull off the trail and eat, get supplies, etc. Some of those stops get a little further between as you go west, but they are there.

Somewhere there is a great little resource page that has information about where/when stops are along the trail and includes most everything.

Generally I carry enough water and a snack to make it out to Coos Lake store (I think that's the name of it) out past Brushy Mtn Tunnel, resupply there, and head back. The Burger King at the "Publix" end of the trail is mighty handy too.....best fast food EVAR right that moment.
Old 06-20-17, 01:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
There are actually few resources between Cedartown and the state line.

Some of the stores I go to are:
  • Florence Rd Trailhead - 0.3 miles north on Florence Rd to the Texaco station
  • Bill Carruth Parkway at the Cobb/Paulding border - 0.3 miles north on Bill Carruth Parkway to Race Track. Access via the side trail at the tunnel on the Cobb/Paulding border.
  • Paulding Chamber of Commerce - follow the connector trail east along Hwy 278 to QT, Zaxbys, etc.
  • Coots Lake - 100 yards south on Coots Lake Rd to Coots Lake Station
  • Vinson Mountain - exit at Vinson Mountain Trailhead onto Vinson Mountain Rd. Go 0.2 miles north to Dunns Quick Stop.
There are several stores in Cedartown including a convenience store 0.5 miles south of the Cedartown Depot but then nothing from Cedartown to the state line. There used to be a store in Easom Hill near the Alabama/Georgia line but the owners were elderly and the store closed. It has left a large gap in rides out that way.

There are surprisingly few stores in Rockmart as well.

Riders might want to ask at https://www.atlbike.org and see if anyone knows of anything that far west.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-20-17 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-20-17, 02:32 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Check this out for resources:

Silver Comet Trail & Chief Ladiga Trail Mileage Chart and Distances
Old 07-06-17, 01:40 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

55 mile ride today with about 25 of that on the trail between Hiram/Dallas and the Brushy Mountain Tunnel. North Georgia is like a sauna.

Overnight storms brought down some trees.

Stopped three times to wait out passing thunderstorms, once inside the Brushy Mountain Tunnel.

Cool air from inside the tunnel mixed with warm humid air outside and I watched the whole tunnel fog up to the point where the other end wasn't visible. Tried to capture fog pouring out.

-Tim-
Old 07-08-17, 06:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Group ride shenanigans...

-Tim-
Old 07-08-17, 07:07 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,855 Times in 1,674 Posts
Tim H,

I was on the trail today starting at Hiram at 9:30. The trail was sloppy with lots of debris. 76 dew point but I managed to do ok. Always like seeing your pics.
Old 07-10-17, 07:27 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Group ride shenanigans...

-Tim-
See you got some of our Bama Backroads riders in there. (looks like Paul McC, Tracy W and others)

We had a B'ham group leave early from Weaver Sat morning, rode all the way to Mile 0 in Smynra, and rode back and arrived back in Weaver Sat evening. I've been off the bike due to an accident, so couldn't join them. It's on my list - maybe next summer.
Old 07-10-17, 10:56 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
See you got some of our Bama Backroads riders in there. (looks like Paul McC, Tracy W and others)

We had a B'ham group leave early from Weaver Sat morning, rode all the way to Mile 0 in Smynra, and rode back and arrived back in Weaver Sat evening. I've been off the bike due to an accident, so couldn't join them. It's on my list - maybe next summer.

Yes, they were from Birmingham.

The group I was with did "only" 150 miles and it was fun to ride with them.

I said, "On your wheel" to the woman in the photo, Tracy I think. She replied, "OK baby." Been a long time since anyone called me baby. Was the highlight of my day.

I saw a pretty athletic group heading east earlier. They must have been the two hundred milers.

Bama people seem like good people. If you can, please give my regards and point them to the photos.

-Tim-
Old 07-15-17, 07:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Old 07-18-17, 12:49 PM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello ...

There are also photos and 360 photos on this trail on FB. Search : Silver Comet Trail / Chief Ladiga Trail
Old 09-12-17, 07:21 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,855 Times in 1,674 Posts
It has been a while since there has been a post in this thread so I thought I would get something off my chest. I love the trail and it is a great asset to the area it serves but the concrete from before Hiram all the way to Alabama would be so much better if they did not finish it with the rough ridges from a brush or whatever. After riding it for so long I realized this really beats you up compared to the smooth asphalt surface that is found in the other direction.

I now ride towards Smyrna for at least a part of my rides now. It is usually more crowded and the intersections are busier but after riding that way at the end of last year and this year, I am getting used to it. I know I shouldn't complain because it is a dream trail to have so near to me but I always think how much nicer it could be if the concrete surface was smoother.
Old 09-13-17, 07:56 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Originally Posted by DougRNS
......but the concrete from before Hiram all the way to Alabama would be so much better if they did not finish it with the rough ridges from a brush or whatever. After riding it for so long I realized this really beats you up compared to the smooth asphalt surface that is found in the other direction.....but I always think how much nicer it could be if the concrete surface was smoother.
I'm on the AL side, so ride from there, and to tell you the truth, I kind of like the concrete sections. The AL side has experienced more root/weather damage. I have been running wider tires than the 21-23's I used to, though. That may make a difference.

And I'm just hazarding a guess here, but maybe they were thinking of rain, and if smooth concrete might get slicker than the brushed surface when wet?
Old 09-15-17, 08:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Coming from Cobb County, the trail for me is a means to get further west for road rides or a way to connect two different local areas when road options don't exist or don't make sense.

With that in mind the trail is much more enjoyable in spite of it's annoyances and I'd encourage anyone to use the trail as a means to access the beautiful roads of Paulding, Polk and Floyd counties.

-Tim-
Old 10-29-17, 03:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

39° today. Had the trail all to myself.

-Tim-

Last edited by RonH; 10-30-17 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-30-17, 07:33 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
^^^
Tim, I can't see the pics.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-30-17, 01:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by RonH
^^^
Tim, I can't see the pics.

Are you on a phone or mobile device?

I can't see them either on my iphone but they are visible using my Windows desktop.

Dropbox seemed to have started doing this last night for some reason.
Old 10-30-17, 04:50 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Are you on a phone or mobile device?

I can't see them either on my iphone but they are visible using my Windows desktop.

Dropbox seemed to have started doing this last night for some reason.
I always log onto Bike Forums on my MacBook Pro.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-30-17, 07:19 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Originally Posted by RonH
I always log onto Bike Forums on my MacBook Pro.
I see them on my laptop - Windows10/Chrome
Old 11-21-17, 03:43 PM
wolfpack95

Bikes: Felt ZA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love your photos and videos. I used to ride the Comet but it's been hard to get there lately. Hope to make it again soon.
Old 11-30-17, 06:43 AM
goldwingers

Bikes: 10 total. My favorite bikes: Easy Racers - 2010 Titanium Ti-Rush, 2007 Black Gold Rush, 2004 Yellow Tour Easy, 2012 Carbon Trek Madone 5.9 Di2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Honestly, it's sort of straight, mostly flat, and kinda boring after the first time....however, what it IS, is a quantum leap forward in what could be a very viable transportation network alternative, across our country. What the Comet lacks in excitement, it makes up for in actually ending up somewhere, safely on a bicycle.
Just did the RockMart,GA to Piedmont, AL ride on the Silver Comet - Chief Ladiga trail. Between RockMart and Cedartown are some very steep and challenging mountains to climb. The original Comet trail there is being used by trains and they gave us some challenges going up and over. Be careful coming back down fast as there are many semi-sharp turns. They will get your undivided attention. Not boring at all!

Last edited by goldwingers; 11-30-17 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-30-17, 07:30 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by goldwingers
Not boring at all!

I lived quite close to it for a while and it was the place I went to ride. I never really felt "safe" outside a group ride in Vinings where we were staying at the time. After several dozens of rides out to Coots Lake/Brushy Mtn and back...yeah, it got kinda stale.
Old 11-30-17, 08:54 PM
goldwingers

Bikes: 10 total. My favorite bikes: Easy Racers - 2010 Titanium Ti-Rush, 2007 Black Gold Rush, 2004 Yellow Tour Easy, 2012 Carbon Trek Madone 5.9 Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived quite close to it for a while and it was the place I went to ride. I never really felt "safe" outside a group ride in Vinings where we were staying at the time. After several dozens of rides out to Coots Lake/Brushy Mtn and back...yeah, it got kinda stale.
Oh OK. You didn't go far enough west. It really gets challenging starting from Rockmart, GA to Alabama. Its an adventure for sure that requires a lot from legs and gears gears gears.
Old 12-01-17, 07:59 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by goldwingers
Oh OK. You didn't go far enough west. It really gets challenging starting from Rockmart, GA to Alabama. Its an adventure for sure that requires a lot from legs and gears gears gears.

The farthest I have been on it was to Cedartown, I haven't gone all the way to the line. I heard tell of a good mom and pop joint to eat out there, but didn't find it....had to settle on a gas station dog dog. Anywho, the biggest thing I can recall after going through Rockmart (at that time) was the ongoing construction to the trail, and seeing the cute little police smart car running the path. I imagine the area you are walking about is still further west, or I was in good enough shape at the time not to notice.
Old 12-01-17, 08:51 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

The trail west of Rockmart is relatively flat compared to the surrounding countryside IMO.

The only exception is the hill near the garbage dump and some short, steep bits where the trail does not follow the original railroad grade.

Mostly it is endless this...

Old 12-01-17, 09:37 AM
goldwingers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The farthest I have been on it was to Cedartown, I haven't gone all the way to the line. I heard tell of a good mom and pop joint to eat out there, but didn't find it....had to settle on a gas station dog dog. Anywho, the biggest thing I can recall after going through Rockmart (at that time) was the ongoing construction to the trail, and seeing the cute little police smart car running the path. I imagine the area you are walking about is still further west, or I was in good enough shape at the time not to notice.
I'm in pretty good shape and its a pretty good challenge. Steep. Maybe up to 30 degrees in some areas. Anyway if you get back to the Comet, ride from Rockmart to Cedartown again. When I get back to that area again, I'll take some pictures and post them. The serious climbs for me start about 4 or 5 miles out of Rockmart (maybe around FishCreek) as you are heading towards Cedartown.

Last edited by goldwingers; 12-01-17 at 09:44 AM. Reason: About where its at..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.