Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on chest vs arm band heart rate monitor

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Any thoughts on chest vs arm band heart rate monitor

Old 07-02-19, 07:32 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
Don't you have to get a new strap with a Polar HRM, as the battery can't be changed?
The strap and the HRM module are two different pieces. The polar HRM clips on and off the strap. The HRM itself has a replaceable coin battery.
Old 07-31-19, 09:01 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Yesterday I read a scientific study done two years ago that tested wrist vs. a Polar chest vs. an ECG machine.

The ECG was what the other devices were tested against. Each device was tested on three different aerobic exercises. The Polar had a correlation of 99% in all three tests. It did amazing (and I suspect most other chest straps would be similar). The wrist devices all did varying levels of mediocre to awful.
Old 07-31-19, 11:00 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
I use a GARMIN Edge 810, but I hate wearing the chest strap.

I’m now wearing the GARMIN vivosmart 3 wristband. It works fine, although it does take a little while after putting it on to settle down to an accurate reading.
Old 08-01-19, 12:15 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
I've worn a Garmin Chest Strap HR Monitor for four years. It came with my Garmin 1000. I've never physically been bothered by it or for that matter even noticed it when I've ridden the X thousand of miles with it. Besides comfort and convenience it records up to 10 meters from the Garmin 1000 computer it's paired with. The batteries last a long time and are cheap at about five or six dollars apiece.

The latest model of the chest strap can be paired not only with the computer but with your Smartphone too.
Old 08-01-19, 06:13 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
I have experience with the 2018 Polar OH1 and the current Tickr Fit. Here are some of my experience and decision parameters.

I can't see myself wearing a chest strap. The armband HRM are a bit uncomfortable, but I find them tolerable. I do like the idea of a replaceable battery, though. If I thought I could tolerate a strap, I might have made a different decision.

I usd an OH1 briefly last year. The OH1 seemed accurate, but the charge life was too short. I got 5-6 hours from a charge when they claimed 10; now they claim 12 hours. I thought 6 hours wasn't enough, though in fact it covers 95% of my rides. It seemed accurate.

I'm now using a Tickr Fit. A charge lasts a long time. I wore a medical HRM monitor for 30 days, including a number of rides. The Tickr Fit seemed to match what the medical HRM reported, so I'm happy with the accuracy & long charge. I had a problem with one sample, but Wahoo provided very good service.

The Tickr Fit needs something to record the data (phone or computer with Bluetooth or Ant+). The OH1 records data itself and uploads it to the Polar website, but I didn't find the website all that useful.

DCRainmaker reports good accuracy for the armband HRMs from Polar, Scosche, and Wahoo. IIRC, the Fitbit and Garmin wrist HRMs he tested were less accurate for biking. He rated the OH1 as about as accurate the Polar chest monitor.

You pays your money, and you makes your choice.
Old 08-01-19, 07:10 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Bmach
i have not had an issue with static electricity.
I have had problems with a chest strap and a flapping jersey on descents. Reported heart rates above 220, which was obviously wrong.
Old 08-02-19, 02:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I wore a chest strap for 23 hours of continuous hiking last weekend. (Not because I cared what my HR was, to save battery in the watch.) I don't understand why people hate them. They're not comfortable like silk, but they're not uncomfortable like a too tight bathing suit on a too long drive home from the beach.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-07-19, 12:20 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
I have both and use both. Downside of arm based is the crazy strange tan line - halfway up your bicep. But otherwise I use it for running which is far more comfortable than chest strap when you’re heaving for air. Now I have the watch based HR which works ok but simpler than the arm based HRM. Still use chest strap for cycling since upper body doesn’t move much and I take my watch off most rides.
Old 08-07-19, 07:24 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I have had problems with a chest strap and a flapping jersey on descents. Reported heart rates above 220, which was obviously wrong.
Maybe you are really excited while cranking it out going down hill
Old 08-28-19, 12:25 PM
Jgpell14

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Wahoo TICKR FIT and love it. Slip it on my forearm, push a button and it starts sync with Strava. I have no problem with the accuracy, performance, or battery life.
Old 08-28-19, 12:52 PM
Bikeloverr

Bikes: sedona

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
wow good topic
Old 08-28-19, 01:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 2,539 Posts
I've always used chest straps. Probably still will for the reason that I want the readout off my wrist and on the handlebars where I can see it. I ride dropped handlebars. I cannot see a watch without turning my wrist every time. Only drawback is getting to my bike and realizing I haven't put the strap on yet.

Ben
Old 09-03-19, 12:50 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've always used chest straps. Probably still will for the reason that I want the readout off my wrist and on the handlebars where I can see it.
In order to see your heart rate on your bike computer, you aren't forced to use a chest strap. Many of the wrist monitors transmit wirelessly to a bike-mounted computer.

I'm currently using a Garmin vivosmart 3 wrist monitor that transmits heart rate to my Garmin Edge 830.

Old 09-03-19, 02:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
In order to see your heart rate on your bike computer, you aren't forced to use a chest strap. Many of the wrist monitors transmit wirelessly to a bike-mounted computer.

I'm currently using a Garmin vivosmart 3 wrist monitor that transmits heart rate to my Garmin Edge 830.
I like to keep things simple. I don't record data. Only wireless I have ever used as a computer for my trainer bikes. I have gone to an Element Bolt for its GPS (for a gravel event where it turned out it wasn't needed) and like it for speed and distance but have no plans to upgrade from there. I won't bring it to next week's Cycle Oregon so I don't have to think about charging it. I also like keeping the HR as the only thing on the watch dial. Easy to see. (Bike computers and poor focus on the road are probably the biggest cause of bike crashes now - just my observation. Leonard Zinn just pulled such a crash. You can read about it on the Velonews website')

Ben
Old 09-03-19, 04:23 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I bought a Wahoo TICKR chest strap Oct 2016.
After I cut of the plastic nubs on each side of the buttons that cause it to unbutton with twist it has been perfect - before that it would pop open while riding.
On dry winter days I need to spit on the contacts so they work before I start to sweat.
Still on original battery with daily use (every day commute and weekend rides and hikes)
Pairs up every time with no issue.
Old 09-03-19, 04:29 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I bought a Wahoo TICKR chest strap Oct 2016.
After I cut of the plastic nubs on each side of the buttons that cause it to unbutton with twist it has been perfect - before that it would pop open while riding.
Whoa, I never realized that the nubs were there as a feature to allow twisting them off! It's never happened accidentally for me, but I think I'll try disconnecting them that way in the future, because pulling the button out feels like I might break it eventually.