Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

The Last Best Car Ever

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

The Last Best Car Ever

Old 03-23-19, 07:51 AM
NoControl 
Look Ma! No Hands!

Bikes: Troll, Disc Trucker, Holdsworth

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
The Last Best Car Ever

I've been thinking about this subject for a few years now, and never really got down to asking anyone for an opinion, so I figure that it would be a good topic for the Foosters! So it goes like this...

All of the automobiles available today are rather complex - too complex, and too many gadgets and gizmos for anyone to maintain and repair on their own. AND the MSRP's keep rising with any little bauble they attach. I understand that auto manufacturers are in the business to make money, so continual improvement and continual upgrades and refinements are essential to have vehicles that out-sell the competition by offering more. Our world is all about more more more... but why can't the auto makers offer vehicles for those of us that want less less less?

Now you see, I'm no slouch in the mechanical trades. I'm a second-generation machinist, and I had a full career in the USAF as an aircraft mechanic. Lots of school. Lots of training. Lots of on the job experience. Retired now. But I'll tell you that all of these skills are wasted on vehicles that require thousands of dollars of electronic diagnostic machinery just to fix them. Why can I get a sustainable car, that won't rust out, that I can fix myself with simple tools, and parts are available anywhere and everywhere? Much like unicorns, they don't exist. The VW Beetle was the one vehicle that probably came closest to this criteria, but is found sadly wanting in several areas.

So here you have it. I'd love to get myself a decent older vehicle that can be fixed easily, and has parts still available. I would prefer something without fuel injection, but EFI or TBI or a simpler form of it would help with fuel efficiency and starting, etc.

Any ideas?

I was thinking that an old VW Jetta might be worthy. Oh, and I forgot to mention that a car with some level of class would be great; some kind of car that remains tasteful and doesn't look like a 3rd world wheelbarrow. The early Toyotas come to mind, but their parts are becoming rare now.

Discuss?

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending" -C.S. Lewis

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 03-23-19, 09:16 AM
cb400bill

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 79 Posts
90's Toyota Tacoma.
Old 03-23-19, 09:22 AM
dynodonn
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
It's funny how some people perceive autos as becoming too complex, to this day, I can still hear my mechanic uncle saying the same thing about early 70's vehicles, with all the smog equipment, and electronic ignition.
Old 03-23-19, 09:44 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube, M Alloy Pro, Sprint 76; Amp Research B4; Colnago Crystal; Klein Pulse; Litespeed Catalyst, Fondriest Squadra Corse

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Improvements in safety and efficiency that happen with each iteration of any model, and across the industry each year, makes the initial up-front cost of any new(er) vehicle less painful in lower fuel costs and overall maintenance. E.g., I just traded in a 2001 Fiat Scudo van for a 2011 Nissan NV200, and I've lowered my fuel consumption by half.

If you're looking for an inexpensive bulletproof working-man's "modern classic", I'd say the first generation (1999-2004) Ford Focus has to be up there.
Old 03-23-19, 09:54 AM
dynodonn
Banned.

Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
I've been thinking about this subject for a few years now, and never really got down to asking anyone for an opinion, so I figure that it would be a good topic for the Foosters! So it goes like this...

All of the automobiles available today are rather complex - too complex, and too many gadgets and gizmos for anyone to maintain and repair on their own. AND the MSRP's keep rising with any little bauble they attach. I understand that auto manufacturers are in the business to make money, so continual improvement and continual upgrades and refinements are essential to have vehicles that out-sell the competition by offering more. Our world is all about more more more... but why can't the auto makers offer vehicles for those of us that want less less less?

Now you see, I'm no slouch in the mechanical trades. I'm a second-generation machinist, and I had a full career in the USAF as an aircraft mechanic. Lots of school. Lots of training. Lots of on the job experience. Retired now. But I'll tell you that all of these skills are wasted on vehicles that require thousands of dollars of electronic diagnostic machinery just to fix them. Why can I get a sustainable car, that won't rust out, that I can fix myself with simple tools, and parts are available anywhere and everywhere? Much like unicorns, they don't exist. The VW Beetle was the one vehicle that probably came closest to this criteria, but is found sadly wanting in several areas.

So here you have it. I'd love to get myself a decent older vehicle that can be fixed easily, and has parts still available. I would prefer something without fuel injection, but EFI or TBI or a simpler form of it would help with fuel efficiency and starting, etc.

Any ideas?

I was thinking that an old VW Jetta might be worthy. Oh, and I forgot to mention that a car with some level of class would be great; some kind of car that remains tasteful and doesn't look like a 3rd world wheelbarrow. The early Toyotas come to mind, but their parts are becoming rare now.

Discuss?
From my personal experience, a popular 60's muscle car, provided you can afford the initial price, simple to work on, tons more parts and kits are available online today than back in the day, my in having to scour junk yards, magazine ads, and word of mouth for a part in somebody's garage.
Old 03-23-19, 09:57 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Schwinns

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post

If you're looking for an inexpensive bulletproof working-man's "modern classic", I'd say the first generation (1999-2004) Ford Focus has to be up there.
Interesting. I bought an '06 Focus in '06 and have put over 200K miles on it since. Still takes me to and from work dependably, anywhere from 50 to 150 miles a day.
Old 03-23-19, 10:03 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Schwinns

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
OP, if you are talking about something upscale new or "newer", I think that ship has sailed. If talking about older, just about anything that has withstood the test of time and high miles is worth a look.
Old 03-23-19, 10:16 AM
NoControl 
Look Ma! No Hands!

Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
90's Toyota Tacoma.
Funny you should say that, because that's more or less what I'm talking about. I worked for years with someone who had one - 1990, I believe. That thing had more miles than you could count, and it purred like a kitten. It was only a 2wd, but for longevity and ease of use it couldn't be beat. The only trouble is, I don't want to look like a redneck when I roll up somewhere. I want a car that has some sort of class and stylishness to it. Sorry, @dynodonn, a muscle car is, sadly, beyond the parameters of my wallet, and unless its absolutely perfect, I'd want to avoid the Joe Dirt Effect anyway.

Perhaps a decent compromise would be one of the early Landcruisers? A J60 model might just fill the ticket.

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending" -C.S. Lewis

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 03-23-19, 11:03 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube, M Alloy Pro, Sprint 76; Amp Research B4; Colnago Crystal; Klein Pulse; Litespeed Catalyst, Fondriest Squadra Corse

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Very few, if any, older cars have aged well. Maybe a mid-00s Range Rover or BMW X5?
Old 03-23-19, 12:54 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
'67 vw
Old 03-23-19, 01:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts

‘75 AMC Gremlin. Inline 6, 3 speed stick, nothing auto, no A.C., power nothing. The engine is long and lean like a John Deer tractor, lots of room to get to stuff. As AMC wasn’t a “real” car company, they got parts from like everybody. Thus no concerns about somebody going out of business and parts drying up. There are very few parts actually. Ugly as **** as well so NOBODY is going to steal this thing.

My Gremlin, fondly referred to as The Lead Sled, could use a very large screwdriver as the stick shift (which I needed to do on occasion). The locks didn’t always work so I only needed one key to start it and a rope from the rear hatch to the interior drivers door handle, in the event that the exterior door latches failed. Would run an -27 F below zero, but took a week to get started. Mine was school bus yellow.

Last edited by Steve B.; 03-23-19 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 01:12 PM
NoControl 
Look Ma! No Hands!

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
Very few, if any, older cars have aged well. Maybe a mid-00s Range Rover or BMW X5?
I had a 1970 BMW 1602, which was excellent. The reason I'm not keen on the BMWs or Mercedes - despite their inherent longevity - is that parts are woefully scarce here.

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 03-23-19, 01:14 PM
NoControl 
Look Ma! No Hands!

Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
'67 vw
Yeah I know. This is still probably the best choice. Easy to fix. Easy to drive. Sucks in the winter. I had a 1959 in Germany, and had to drive to work, scraping the windshield inside and out on the way.

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 03-23-19, 01:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
I want a car that has some sort of class and stylishness to it.
This is incompatible with your premise.
Old 03-23-19, 01:17 PM
NoControl 
Look Ma! No Hands!

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post

This is incompatible with your premise.
Not really, DL. I could get everything I listed in the criteria if I had a Chevy C10 pickup or a Ford F100, but then again, you've got the redneck factor with those. I have nothing against rednecks, mind you, but I'm looking for a sedan-type vehicle. Hey you know, one of the early Bronco II's might fit the bill...

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 03-23-19, 01:21 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6905 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 197 Posts
My favorite : Saab 96 , here is one a bit modified : (Not Mine)

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-23-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 01:51 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6905 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 197 Posts
another under hood image , still a V4, 4 stroke

As a German Ford supplied engine, the V4 could be replaced by the Capri V6....
Old 03-23-19, 03:08 PM
BenzFanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 123 chassis E-class diesels are pretty notorious for their longevity and simplicity. The only common failure points are probably the AC and Radio. Of course you'll be paying 10-15k+ for a nice one these days, and even then they are 35+ years old...

I loved my 126 S-class. They are a bit more complex of course, but made until 91, so slightly newer. Probably one of the most advanced cars of its age but still simple compared to these days. Again, AC and Radio relatively common failure points. A number of engines to choose from. I kept one going on zero budget for 5 years in my early 20's, doing quite a bit of work myself. It was a car designed with repairs and maintenance in mind.

My mechanic buddies talk fondly of their old 4.3 chevy S10's. You also still see quite a few 9th generation F-series pickups around. I hear the 4.9 v6 goes forever. I think pickups of that era will probably be some of the last relatively simple cars. Style and class though, eh.
Old 03-23-19, 03:33 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
I just got a '75 Dart Swinger for fun. It is on the other side of the classic performance fence, but it has an indestructible gas sippin' slant 6 and is already set for unleaded. Also has some safety standards like collapsible steering column, three point seat belts and better bumpers. However, compared to some other old cars I've owned it is pretty complex. I had a '63 Valiant that looked like it only had 5 moving parts.
My main car is a Honda Element. One thing I like is it is has some tech, but is not overly complicated.
Old 03-23-19, 03:40 PM
brianmcg123

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Lincoln Town Car or Mercury Grand Marquis.
Old 03-23-19, 04:41 PM
ahsposo 
Thoroughbred Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
I've always thought a stolen car runs the best. Low maintenance too.
Old 03-23-19, 05:45 PM
dynodonn
Banned.

Now if someone needs a car for a quick trip to pick up a pack of smokes from the corner store a quarter mile away, or a Vegas Strip attention getter, here's a car for you.

It even has a 1000, (or 2000) watt stereo system to boot.

Old 03-23-19, 09:13 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
'67 vw
My first car was a 67 Beetle. The heater in my second car was one of the many things I liked better, that and acceleration.
Old 03-23-19, 09:57 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
If you lived in France i’d suggest a Deux Chevaux. About as simple and future proof as they come.
Old 03-24-19, 12:16 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6685 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 86 Posts
An early Land Cruiser, with points vice electronic ignition or a 56 Chevy... the latter with stylish paint job to give it the "flair" you seek. Both have somewhat readily available parts. I wonder if a Checker Cab might fit in there somehow.

It's gonna be difficult to get that "prestige" you seek, with an old car... a great paint job and full restoration are about the only solutions, there. An old Rolls Royce comes to mind there, but parts are gonna be hard to find, as not many were actually built.

With regards to the electronics of more modern vehicles... the GEM board seems to be one of the bigger failing items of later Ford F150s... and largely due to an overly complex circuit board being located beneath a poorly designed front window seal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.