Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Might have found the bike of my dreams......but it's got a carbon fork!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 01:41 PM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

I think after a lot of uncertainty and experiments I am finally ready to buy my first new bike (all others have been Craigslists and handme downs)

I narrowed it down to something steel framed ( I want it to last , looking for a bike for life here ) that can handle fireroads and the rough bad pot holed roads where I live while being fast on pavement, I wanted disc brakes and a 1 x drive train .I wanted something fun and sporty yet comfortable ,not an all out race bike or a cyclocross rig . Also 650db wheels with those big tyres were a consideration.

Touring capacity was not important as my current bike is a dedicated tourer.

The Kona Rove ST seemed to fit the bill but then I came across the Ribble 725 CGR and fell head over heels . Its the same price as the Rove but with a step up in groupset , Reynolds 725 over Kona chromoly , hydraulic brakes over mechanical and through axles on both ends.

There is one issue , the Ribble CGR has a carbon fork .I'm not sure if carbon is for me. I have heard it breaks easily e.g if the bike falls over and that carbon doesn't stand the test of time .

I'd happily take the weight penalty of a steel fork for it's durability .

Could I end up searching for a through axle carbon fork for a tapered steerer and then have to paint it to match the bike because the original has a small crack in it after a light crash ?

Are there any other steel frame and fork options that would suit my needs ?

Is carbon all that bad if the bike is treated well?
Old 05-08-19, 02:27 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-08-19, 02:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
There is one issue , the Ribble CGR has a carbon fork .I'm not sure if carbon is for me. I have heard it breaks easily e.g if the bike falls over and that carbon doesn't stand the test of time .
I think that is a false assumption. Many high-end steel bikes come with carbon forks because it gives you many of the advantages (like vibrational dampening and stiffness). I don't know about Ribble's fork in particular, but in general they tend to be over-engineered. I have a first gen Enve CX carbon fork on my steel bike, and it is very solid. (It is quick-release, so the newer through-axle versions are better.)

Judging by the photo, I very much doubt you will have a problem.

Old 05-08-19, 02:35 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
From a quick googlin'

If CF was as brittle as you make it out to be, they wouldn't be making MTBs and rims out of it.
Old 05-08-19, 02:43 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I don't generally see the need for carbon fiber anything, but I do two have two bikes with carbon forks, because I liked everything else about the bikes and they came with carbon forks. It's been fine.
Old 05-08-19, 03:07 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Modern carbon is very robust. This isn't something I would personally worry about.
Old 05-08-19, 03:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A high end steel fork can ride very nice but for most bikes a carbon fork is going to be an upgrade.

I say this as someone who put a Tange Prestige steel fork Japan on one of my bikes.

-Tim-
Old 05-08-19, 04:25 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I'm not sure if carbon is for me. I have heard it breaks easily e.g if the bike falls over and that carbon doesn't stand the test of time .

I'd happily take the weight penalty of a steel fork for it's durability.
All true, but it doesn't seem to fail all that often. Roll the dice!

On the other hand, if you're always going to be fearful about it then it's just not worth it.

I don't favor carbon parts either, but forks seem to be the hardest part to avoid. A major consideration allowing me to feel comfortable with one is my weight, (not much) and the fact that I treat my bikes very well. I also clean and inspect them regularly. Your mileage may vary.
Old 05-08-19, 04:35 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Did you say Carbon Fork!?!
Old 05-08-19, 04:49 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I heard crabon forks assplode when you drop the hamer and dial it up to 400W?
Old 05-08-19, 05:04 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
If you wish to eliminate carbon forks from contention, you will either chase unicorns or consult custom frame builders
Old 05-08-19, 05:06 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I think no structural parts of a bicycle should be made of plastic, but that's just me.
Old 05-08-19, 05:23 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Ya, Plastic.....it's plastic.
Old 05-08-19, 05:28 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Ya, Plastic.....it's plastic.
Carbon fibre components are not plastic, they are composites of different materials as are many other familiar things we use EG: concrete is a composite material we use all the time
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-08-19, 05:28 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Get the carbon fork. Lighter and according to veterans , stiff and dampening .
Likes For Gconan:
Old 05-08-19, 05:42 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Carbon fibre components are not plastic, they are composites of different materials as are many other familiar things we use EG: concrete is a composite material we use all the time
Thanks for correcting me
Old 05-08-19, 07:37 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Carbon fiber reinforced plastic.
Old 05-08-19, 07:42 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
My last two new bikes were auminum frame/carbon fork bikes, and they were excellent forks. I am (or WAS) pretty heavy at 250lbs, and spent a lot of time on gravel and rougher roads. I never once had an issue with the carbon fork. I also worked in a shop for nine years and don’t recall a broken carbon fork coming through. Modern carbon is really tough. We were told that manufacturers specifically over-engineered forks and frames that are sold to the general public to prevent liability issues. Personally, I wouldn’t buy an aluminum framed bike without a carbon fork.
Old 05-08-19, 07:58 PM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Carbon Fiber? OMG!
Old 05-08-19, 08:20 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Steel is edgy and sophisticated yet low maintenance. All steel is better.
Old 05-08-19, 08:43 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I think that is a false assumption. Many high-end steel bikes come with carbon forks because it gives you many of the advantages (like vibrational dampening and stiffness). I don't know about Ribble's fork in particular, but in general they tend to be over-engineered. I have a first gen Enve CX carbon fork on my steel bike, and it is very solid. (It is quick-release, so the newer through-axle versions are better.)

Judging by the photo, I very much doubt you will have a problem.

Let me ask a silly question.

If carbon for the fork gives all these advantages over steel, why doesn't these advantages apply to a frame as well?

Are carbon forks overbuilt and carbon frames "underbuilt"?
Old 05-08-19, 11:17 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i personally can stand on a steel fork and tear in half dead lift style , i can twist steel bars if braced on one end , i cannot even get a carbon fork to sqeak , maybe a slight bit of flex , but its almost impossible to snap one without tremendous force , BUT!!!!! i can bash on steel dent it up scrape it up , throw it off the roof of my car , hulk hogan leg drop it , it will be fine , carbon doesn't do well with small intense impacts in the places it wasn't meant to be impacted .... BUT.....BUT ... also look into the fork it might not be actual full carbon , most of my carbon forks have some sort of aluminum skeleton !!!!
Old 05-08-19, 11:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I will never own a carbon fork for the simple reason that I do not like their failure mode. I've had one fork fail in similar fashion. Once is plenty in one lifetime. But the good new is - any framebuilder can make you a steel fork. With a conservative crown and not superlight blades. a fork with a sweet ride can be made as a retrofit to any bike, will be a very pleasing ride and last a very long time. Plus, any significant damage that happens to it will be very visible.

My two ti bikes each have steel forks. After almost 30,00 miles, I still love their rides. Likewise my old steel frame with almost twice the mileage.

The other part of having a custom fork made - it's fun! The choices - more clearance for tires? Adjust the rake to get the bike to feel a little different. Stiffer? More forgiving on rough roads? Brake choices. The fork crown - biggest style point on the bike. The color? Chrome? Braze-ons - LowRiders, custom racks, lights, water bottles or flasks and so on. Sharp curve down low? High, gentle bend? straight? Tangs on the insides of the blades?

Yes, steel forks have more vibration. Steel is a near perfect elastic material. But done right, that vibration is simply not an issue. Steel forked bicycles have been riding the roads of the day in style and comfort for 130 years. And those early roads were far worse that anything we would call pavement now. (Steel and titanium bike frames also don't dampen vibration at all. Yet many are considered very good bikes for rough roads.)

Ben
Old 05-09-19, 01:46 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
You could check out PlanetX. They still do a number of steel and titanium frames, such as the Holdsworth Elan

However, I think you're worrying overmuch about the carbon fork. Carbon is good enough for building airplanes, racing cars and all sorts of other highly stressed components from. I think you'll find it's fine for a set of forks.
Old 05-09-19, 04:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Touring capacity was not important as my current bike is a dedicated tourer.

There is one issue , the Ribble CGR has a carbon fork .

I'd happily take the weight penalty of a steel fork for it's durability .
Since your bicycle is not a dedicated tourer, you could probably get away with the carbon fork.

But if you really want a steel fork, have the carbon fork changed for a steel fork.

That's what I did with my sport touring bicycle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.