Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need a Bike Recomendation for Commuting/Kid Carrying (NYC)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 08:53 PM
greenfendr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for A bike Recommendation, Specifically a commuter bike that is stable enough to to handle a Topeak kids bike seat, and would maybe take an XtraCycle conversion down the road.

I've been fair weather commuting in NYC for the last 10 years. I currently ride a Chinese single speed that's been great, but I don't feel safe with her on it. Crappy V Breaks, and I feel like the frame twisting is twisting. Not to mention that gymnastics of safely getting my leg over the high bar really isn't a good look for a Dad in cargo shorts. My commute has some hills, I have to go over the BK bridge, and I have a 200ft climb at the end of my commute coming home.

Willing to spend up to $700 if the bike is new, but I'm open to used. (don't mind an old bike if it's right). Also, are Disc breaks a must? and what about front suspension with lockout?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 07-30-19, 10:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
With a kid seat you want hand operated brakes and a step through or at least low frame so you don’t need to go all Walker Texas Ranger to get on. So it’s a hybrid or a MTB. Look for a 24 speed, or an internal gear hub, they have stronger rear hubs than most 21 speeds. A suspension fork isn’t important to have but you’ll find the ones that have them sit more upright just because of the added length of the fork. If you want to try disk brakes do but it’s also not crucial. Your kid might make it to age 5 in the seat if she’s small. My 5yo boy outgrew it at 3.5 and now my next boy outgrew it at 2.5 but he’s a monster.

Xtracycle hasn’t made conversion kits in a while. Cross that bridge when you come to it. I get the sense there are a ton of people in NYC trying cargo bikes and you’ll be sure to find something used.